What shotguns are you hunting with?

Ruger Red Label Woodside 12 ga. I also love my new 16 ga o/u stoger Condor--It is a cheap gun with out any frills but it sure does a great job of killin' roosters.
Early season will sometimes use my 28 ga 870 and for fun and a challange will haul out the SXS smoke pole.

I'm going to add a Benelli Vinci but use it mostly for waterfowl.

I shoot a Benelli super Black Eagle 12 ga. A CZ side-by-side 16 ga. Kill deer in state with a .44 Ruger super redhawk and kill deer out of state with a Winchester .270. I am looking to add a rifle with iron sights and a couple new handguns.

Left Hand 870 wingmaster 12 ga., Left Hand 1187 premier light contour 12 ga.,Left Hand Benelli M-1 12 ga., Browning Citori 12&20 guages. The 2 Citori's will be going with me to S.D. this Nov.

This is my favorite. Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Double Barrel set in 20 and 28. It only took me 5 years of saving my pennies. Want to start hunting with the 28 barrels a little more other then Doves.:cheers:

IMG_4962.jpg
IMG_4963.jpg

Bleu - beautiful gun there - very jealous!

Mine is an 870 Wingmaster 12g - that is going to be handed down to my son on his first SD trip next year.

Replacement will be either Rem 1187 or similar semi-12g

For upland: Browning Citori 625 12 ga., 28" barrels

For turkey: Stoeger Condor II 12 ga., 26" barrels (my first gun, now loose in the hinge).

Last edited:
For nasty weather waterfowl I use a Beretta AL390, 12ga., camo, and 24in bbl.
For almost all of my other shotgun shooting I use a Merkel built 16ga. sxs with 28in bbls and double triggers.
I keep a 40s vintage M37 Ithaca 16ga. sitting by the bed and use it for a little rabbit hunting.
Then theres the little 11-48 Remington 20 ga. I've had for years. 28in. plain barrel and I had tubes put in it. Kinda neat for a little informal skeet.
Last of all is a little Beretta 685 o/u in 20 ga. 26in bbls. choked IC/M. Haven't had it long but it is a delight to carry and really hammered some decoyed ducks with 3in steel this past season.
Used to have a couple more early M37 16ga. but grandsons kept coming of age to hunt and taking them home. I guess the bedside gun will go to No.3 in another year.:)
BobM

Most often used, and best loved, AYA Matador II sxs, 20 ga, 26 in, vent rib, selective trigger, auto ejec, imp cyl and mod. Had it since early marriage, took three months to pay off the $125 in 1970. :) I got lucky back then and didn't know how lucky I was to find "this Spanish gun."

Carry a single 20, either Stevens or H&R, a lot. I loved the dog work more than the kill with the GWPs, and old legs and single shots naturally fit together.

The 12s don't come out much.

I'll probably stick with the AYA with the field springer to give myself a chance at dropping more birds for him, reinforcing this whole new world he's encountering. He's a rescue, 4 or 5 years old, and hunting was not on his resume.

We're getting there.

I've been shooting a Beretta AL390 for years. I just picked up a new Franchi Renaissance Classic O/U that hopefully will become my new favorite. Gotta get out and do some shooting with it.

I've been shooting a Beretta AL390 for years. I just picked up a new Franchi Renaissance Classic O/U that hopefully will become my new favorite. Gotta get out and do some shooting with it.

You and I live rather close to each other. I'm in Hanover. If you want a great place to shoot some skeet, trap or sporting clays try Wild Marsh sporting clays up near Becker Mn. I shoot every other Wednesday evening. If you want hook up and check it out sometime send me a PM.

browning citori

I use a couple different ones....

Browning Citori
Browning 525

One issue that I think is sort of important is....making the decision
if you want a field gun or something you keep nicer. Its hard to
keep a field gun looking nice, they get marks, and scratches
and dings. So my basic philosophy is buy the gun your willing to
sort of sacrifice in the field that could mean passing up some
fine engraving or nicer wood or whatever. Unless you want that
and you don't mind a few marks of course. Just something to
think about before you spend extra money for some features
that might not be as useful in a field gun.

Also if you hunt in wet weather alot or want something you
can use for waterfowl, then definitely consider the synthetic
stock.

Favorite shotgun for hunting

I have been very lucky to have tried numerous shotguns while pheasant hunting. My first thirteen years of hunting pheasant out west I have used 14 different shotguns. Most of these I would try for awhile then trade for something else. I prefer semiautos. I have tried several pumps, a couple of over-unders, never a SxS. I maybe a slow learner, but I have had a lot of fun trying different shotguns over the years. It is my passion (obsession). I do not care to fix up old cars or buy the latest sports car, I do not trade out wives every other year (way too expensive). I do like dabbling in gun trading and fixing up some of the classic semiauto shotguns. Lately I have been playing with 16 gauge shotguns. Getting back to the original topic of this post, My favorite shotgun to use for pheasant hunting is a Benelli Supersport II. It is light enough to carry all day and is easy to clean. Plus I can hit with it. Grouse hunting I prefer a light weight 16 gauge. Life is pretty good when I am able to pursue a hobby at not too great expense.

The two I hunt with the most are:
Benelli SBE II - 12 ga.
Benelli M1 - 12 ga.

Others that don't see much field time:
Browning Belgian Superposed 12 ga.
Browning Belgian A5 16 ga.
Browning BPS 20 ga. (wife's shotgun)
Beretta White Wing 12 ga.
SKB M-7300 12 ga.
Mossberg 500A 12 ga.
Stevens Model 67 12 ga.

Benelli Monte Silver and a M2

The latest

I picked up a 16 gauge Remington Model 58 semi-auto shotgun this month. It is light at 6 2/3 lbs. It came with a screw in choke and a 28 inch ribbed barrel. It shoots my reloads with little recoil. I am anxious to get out in the field with it this year. I will shoot a few rounds of trap this summer to warm up.

My newest. Franchi Veloce Squire Limited in 20/28 ga

One always needs the help of a good dog

Last edited:
Very nice gun Jim and one hell of a dog too.:cheers:

Back