What shotguns are you hunting with?

Go to gun

All I want to carry now is my Sweet 16. I might have maybe ten more years to hunt and I'm gonna carry it until the end and then pass it to my son. I just like the way it looks and goes up, for some reason.

Last weekend there were 6 of us hunting, 5 of us were shooting Beretta 391's. The other was switching between a Beretta 3 1/2" that weighed to much and a Browning O/U.

Sometimes when I'm feeling froggy I'll take my Ithaca 37 20 guage. 1949 vintage.

I love my SX3

Beretta customized 686 12 ga. 28"
Browning Maxus 12 ga. 26"
Belgian OU 16 ga. 27.5"
Beretta 409 SxS 16 ga. 28"
Remington 11 16 ga. 28"

I like to mix it up a little.

Adding a Weatherby SA-08 12 ga. 26" this year to the mix. It's a 1/2 pound lighter than the Maxus and I'll reserve my camo Maxus for waterfowling.

Here's my scatterguns:

-Browning Citori Lightning
-Beretta AL 390 Silver Mallard - Field
-Beretta AL 390 Silver Mallard - Camo Synthetic
-Winchester Super X2
-Franchi I12
-Browning BPS

Primary upland gun is my 20 ga 686.

20131115_124048_1_.jpg

Once in a while I break out the Browning double auto that a deceased 5th grade teacher willed me..

ElliePhez3.jpg

Last year I bought a sweet little Browning A5 20 mag 26 skeet from a member here. Havent broke it out yet, but plan to this upcoming season,, just for nostalgic reasons..

Shotguns

Beretta SV10 Perennia III 12 gauge (my go to gun)
Browning Citori Superlight feather 16 Gauge
2 Browning Citori Grade 1 16 Gauges
Winchester SX3 20 Gauge
Franchi Affinity 12 Gauge

Browning Custom shop B-25 Superposed 20ga
Browning Sweet Sixteen 1960 vent rib
Browning A5 20ga Magnum vent rib
Weatherby Athena 12ga O/U
Beretta 686 Onyx Pro 3.5" 12ga O/U
Browning Cynergy 3.5" Camo O/U
Browning Citori 20ga English stocked upland
Winchester model 12 16ga
Winchester model 97 16ga
Winchester model 12 vent rib trap
Ithaca 37 vent rib trap/field combo high grade 16ga
Ithaca 37 vent rib 12ga

Any one of them can see action in the field, just depends on the mood and how well I'm feeling.
Model 50 Winchester 12ga auto

Last edited:
Old post but this fall I'll be hunting with an a400 xtreme. After shooting a 870 wingmaster the beretta will be a nice change of pace. I shoot a lot of 3 and 3.5 inch shells.

This fall I will be hunting with a Benelli M2 20g that I have on order along with my Ruger Red Label 20g and if I want to use a 12g my 870 Express.

If I take a trip up north this fall, probably my Benelli Ultra Light 20 gauge. Interested in the new Browning Citori 725 20 gauge though.

Benelli SBE 2, woodcock-turkeys one gun that does it all.
Like Wis Turkey I also shoot a lot of 3" (public land steel) and 3.5" geese passing over the phez field.

Benelli SBE 2, woodcock-turkeys one gun that does it all.
Like Wis Turkey I also shoot a lot of 3" (public land steel) and 3.5" geese passing over the phez field.

Yep that's exactly what I do 3 inch 2 ' s or 3's for pheasants and ducks, and 3.5 inch for geese that fly over or if I catch one in a spot I can jump them.

Sometimes pheasant even get killed with 3.5 Inch shells and that works too.

My first was a Mossberg 500 12 gauge, then a Baikal O/U 12 gauge. Last season, I purchased a Beretta SV10 in 20 gauge that is my go to when I am not in the mud/rain.

Great thread--Allows guys to puff their chests out a bit--I have a mix of Benelli and Remington's. Hunt with a Montefeltro mostly. . I have a Stoeger 2000 that has killed more birds then my other 9 shotguns combined. Love that gun but mostly borrow it to my out of state buddies now. I have a Benelli Montefeltro Silver that I am considering selling and buying an O/U as I feel it's just to pretty to hunt with.

Beretta A400 Xplor Light Kick Off, 28" 12 gauge

So I recently had the chance to shoot the Beretta A400 Xplor Light 26" in 20 gauge at the trap range. The gun had the kickoff stock, which I thought was a gimmick. Man, what a light, quick shouldering gun. Not the best suited for trap or skeet, but I was thinking of it in terms of the field. The first few shots I took with it I kept checking to see if it had actually cycled. Admittedly, I usually show up at the trap range with my beat-up Mossberg 835 just to prove to guys with Kolars and the like that the shooter makes the gun, not the other way around. But I was really impressed with my buddy's gun. I went home and looked around for one, only to find that it had been discontinued by Beretta. I was able to find one used on an auction site in 12gauge with the 28" barrel I wanted. It was more than any shotgun I had ever purchased and I am not a rich guy, but I was able to afford it after selling a couple of guns that i rarely use. Planning to give it some heavy use once the season starts. I will keep everyone posted on my experience, but would welcome some thoughts from anyone that is hunting with one already. Hoping I made the right choice.

Given the age of the thread, i suppose that there is a good chance that I'm repeating myself, but...
Grouse/woodcock - 12 ga beretta ultralight 686 steam bent to fit my southpaw ways.
Pheasant - 12 ga beretta 687 silver pigeonII, also steam-bent for me.
Duck and geese - have been shooting a cam XtremaII for 5 years or so, but got to dislike it more and more relative to shooing my OUs, so two days ago I received a camo Cynergy 3.5" 12 ga. Haven't shot it yet, but it fits me well and will fit me better once the cast-on comb insert arrives. Hopefully it will take th Xtrema's place.
I also have a sabatti 12 OU that has teh barrels chopped at 20" even. This fits in my small backpack so i use it for hunts when I need to be discrete to get in/out or as a 'comfort gun' if I'm camping in bear country.
Dave

Back