What shotguns are you hunting with?

I recently got a CZ Ringneck English Stock 20 Ga/26" bbls and I'm looking forward to some Grouse hunting with it soon.

fkmb5yXl.jpg

I am liking that!!!!:thumbsup:

I picked up a (barely used) Beretta BL-4 this summer and have fallen in love with it. 26" barrels, Mod/IC choked. Looking forward to swinging it at Grouse and Pheasants this fall. Maybe even a few doves.

That is a nice piece of wood on that ringneck. My redhead deluxe is almost that nice but I took a spill with it on its maiden voyage into mountain quail territory and put a big gouge in the stock.:eek: My ringneck's wood however is very plain.

I picked up a (barely used) Beretta BL-4 this summer and have fallen in love with it. 26" barrels, Mod/IC choked. Looking forward to swinging it at Grouse and Pheasants this fall. Maybe even a few doves.

they were really neat guns, while in college I was trying to save up for the bl3 but never made it. they have been out of production for a pretty long time. prior to those they had a silver and golden snipe, owned a silver in 20ga. about 45 years ago

Thanks guys!
I ran across it online at a shop in CT. When it arrived, the trigger on both barrels was around 10lbs. I sent it to Mark DeHaan, and it is on it's way back to me now with the trigger breaking on both barrels at a crisp 4 1/2 lbs.
I'll pattern it next week with a couple of Trulock Precision Hunter extended choke tubes (Skeet 2/.611 & IM/.601) and see where we are.
I'll also order IC & Mod. tubes from Carlson's.
I'm using Winchester AA Heavy Target loads 20ga. 2 3/4" 2 1/2 Dram Eq. 1 oz. 7 1/2 for Blue and Ruffed Grouse.
I'll be looking forward to hunting Pheasant with it in SD in the future.

Harry

Here are my shotguns:

:cheers: I'm really partial to 20ga.

My main gun is a Westley Richards 12 bore hammer double.

I use brass cases loaded with anywhere from 2 1/2 drams to 3 drams of FFG and 1 to 1 1/4 oz of plated shot.

I started using my Grand Dad's 16 gauge under lever that I have rebuilt extensively to get it back up and running.

[t's a fine gun for birds with 2 1/2 drams ( about 68 grains ) of FFG and 7/8oz of shot - brass cases , of course!:p
I use is a 16 gauge FAIR and a 20 gauge FAIR , but not too often.

I also use a Ugartechea 28 gauge SXS side lock that I had built to my specs, it's a super gun!Love it, but I am a black powder looney!

DT

I'll usually be found with either my Uggie 20ga or my Benelli Vinci, opposite ends of the spectrum but both sweet in their own ways. The problem is sometimes I forget I'm carrying a wood gun when I go to set it down on the road, fence, rock, etc.. Sometime using a tool instead of a work of art has its advantages!:cheers:

Sometimes the tool is a piece of art! That is why it is so nice to hunt with our beautiful wood guns. Hunting with a fine piece of art! Yes, they do get love marks on them!!!:cheers:

My 20/28 combo that Seems to find the field 99% of the time anymore. Rarely seeing the 20 gauge barrels.
user1941_pic1454_1325647417_zps9a51fb83.jpg

Last edited:
So many beautiful shotguns!
I'm thinking about selling my Bobwhite and replacing it with a Franchi Infinity 20ga.

not a 28 ga. in the bunch.

cheers

I'm trying to decide on a 28 still. So far, it's between a CZ Ringneck (known quantity), DeHaan, Dickinson, or a Spanish gun.
I like the idea of a 28 for close upland and preserve hunting.

I'm trying to decide on a 28 still. So far, it's between a CZ Ringnecks (kown quantity), DeHaan, Dickinson, or a Spanish gun.
I like the idea of a 28 for close upland and preserve hunting.

Once you start shooting a 28ga you'll start to like the idea of it for almost all upland situations. The only time I shoot my 20 anymore is for dove hunting or when I have to shoot non tox.

28 ga.

if there is a draw back to the 28 ga. it's the cost of shells, compared to the 12 ga. you are getting 1/2 the shell at twice the cost. I have used the 28 ga. for a very long time and I roll my own and they are cheap to reload. my reloads will out perform any 20 ga. 2 3/4" shell you can buy or reload for that matter. there just are things you can do with the 28 reloading ya can't do with the 20. that said, that is only part of the deal, get what ya like and have fun with it. I use mine for everything from dove to geese, steel or lead.

cheers

if there is a draw back to the 28 ga. it's the cost of shells, compared to the 12 ga. you are getting 1/2 the shell at twice the cost. I have used the 28 ga. for a very long time and I roll my own and they are cheap to reload. my reloads will out perform any 20 ga. 2 3/4" shell you can buy or reload for that matter. there just are things you can do with the 28 reloading ya can't do with the 20. that said, that is only part of the deal, get what ya like and have fun with it. I use mine for everything from dove to geese, steel or lead.

cheers

No Question I'm going to love shooting a 28 ga. I plan on reloading for it on a MEC Grabber.

They are just plain fun!!! I may have to look into reloading them. I just need a few parts probably. The ol Mec hasn't seen work in sometime. Now with a buddy buying a 28 we should have lots of hulls. What barrel lengths do you guy's like? Mine are 26 1/2, I thought it was a weird length at first. But I shoot it so well...My buddy has 28" on his 686.

Back