What?s your #1 Gear Upgrade After This Hunting Season?

For the past 3 years I've been wanting a Northstar Plastics 3 dog unit with storage on top or a cargo rack - I'll make it happen this year.

I have been thinking about a Northstar box also. I just emailed them about custom making a 4 hole unit to fit in a suburban.

Try LL Beans waxed cotton hunting jacket. I had a Filson but that sucker was just too stiff to be comfortable enough to hunt in. It was like wearing an iron coat. Indestructible but not something I could do while hunting.

The LL Bean is made of a lighter weight cotton duck, but it slides through briars, is windproof and is much more flexible than the Filson. Was about 1/4 the price too.

I have lots of other Filson gear but I sold the jacket on Ebay for about what I paid for it.

I ended up sending my LLBean field coat back. The seams started coming undone after maybe a dozen times wearing it. They did send me a card to use, not as much as I paid for the jacket, seems the newer ones have gone down in price.

You may want to try sewing it back up using dental floss, that is what we used in the Infantry, with it being a waxed, the rain has no effect on it, and its strong enough you cant break it. It might be something to do with the season being about over.

I think I'm in the boot market. The stitching is failing in certain spots on my Pronghorns.

I bought a pair of Pronghorns in December 2016, never wore them until October 2017. By end of November 2017 the stitching was failing and they were ripped. They were under warranty for a year, however, I didn't have the receipt or proof of purchase anymore. I was still able to get them exchanged for a new pair! I had heard from several that Danner has fantastic customer service, and after my first interaction I would agree. I was extremely disappointed that a pair of $200 boots would fall apart after about 7 weeks of wearing them, but hopefully this next pair lasts longer.

I bought a pair of Pronghorns in December 2016, never wore them until October 2017. By end of November 2017 the stitching was failing and they were ripped. They were under warranty for a year, however, I didn't have the receipt or proof of purchase anymore. I was still able to get them exchanged for a new pair! I had heard from several that Danner has fantastic customer service, and after my first interaction I would agree. I was extremely disappointed that a pair of $200 boots would fall apart after about 7 weeks of wearing them, but hopefully this next pair lasts longer.

I have a pair of Danner Pronghorn and East Ridge. Both had fraying of the stitching on the inner part of the boot. Had it repaired at a local boot store that sold and repaired Danners.
Comfortable but will see how long they last.

I just bought a new jacket from Cabela's. Used all my points to get it. It's their Instinct jacket. Took it out on Saturday to work the dog to give it a try. So far, I like it a lot. It's pretty light but windproof, so I can layer under it. I like that it carries light and doesn't weigh me down. It was about 45 degrees outside and I had a sweatshirt on. I was plenty warm. I also liked that it had arms that were long enough for me. I have a Browning jacket that I like, but the arms are too short, so it always leaks air on the cooler days. All the pockets in this new jacket are also easy to access. I can't wait to use this on an actual hunt, I feel it will work out well.

New boots... probably upgrade a few other things but, new boots are necessary. Kind of excited to upgrade my storage in the back of the rig. After trying out a garmin alpha it's gonna be tough not to add one to the arsenal. Also, need to upgrade my shooting skills (I will keep an eye out to see if those go on sale anywhere).

New boots... probably upgrade a few other things but, new boots are necessary. Kind of excited to upgrade my storage in the back of the rig. After trying out a garmin alpha it's gonna be tough not to add one to the arsenal. Also, need to upgrade my shooting skills (I will keep an eye out to see if those go on sale anywhere).
From the looks of the picture (new boots) would be a priority. Good for floating maybe and kicking under rocks for crawdads.

#1 Gear Upgrade

I got an upland shotgun sling by Upland Sportsman. (Google it for photo) My arms would get pretty sore and fatigued after a day of carrying my shotgun with both arms all day. The sling has a neoprene holster with four straps that goes around the gun butt and a sling that goes over the shoulder that can be adjusted so you can carry your gun with your dominant hand in a position that makes it easy to pull up the shotgun an shoot without removing the sling. I found that it worked pretty good and the sling didn't get in the way when shooting. It did help with arm fatigue because all the weight of the gun is transferred to the shoulders and your dominant hand is just supporting the gun in the barrel up position. The one thing I didn't like is if you hunt in wet conditions you have to remove the holster at the end of the day and dry the stock and the holster or you are going to have water damage on the finish and taking the holster off means taking off four straps that hold it in place. The sling works for right or left handed. It is kind of pricey at $44.00 I used it the last half of the season and it did what I wanted it to do. I plan to use it again next year and I would recommend it if you suffer from muscle fatigue like me.

Geez, you must me living in the future? :) Already wore those boots this coming fall!! :confused:

Myself, I need some new hunting pants and maybe another pair of boots. Other than that I should be good to go as long as my new pup progresses and is field ready in the fall.

I ended up sending my LLBean field coat back. The seams started coming undone after maybe a dozen times wearing it. They did send me a card to use, not as much as I paid for the jacket, seems the newer ones have gone down in price.
I did the same thing, only with a Filson coat. They completely went thru it and fixed the issues and some I didn't even know I had. I was reluctant at first to spend that kind of money, but it has paid off in the long run. Cheers.

Added a Wild Wings vest!

My kids bought it for me at christmas. I have used it three times and so far love it. Great shell pockets, water bottle storage is awesome for the dog. and the waist belt takes pressure off my shoulders. The game bag is great as it stays open and easy access. Lots of other zippers, loops etc. And its made in Healy Idaho.

Well my gear upgrade for next season is a new 37ft travel trailer by Grand Design. Wife and I pulled the trigger on a 308BHTS and it's on order and being built now. Should be here in april and ready for summer and this next hunting season in MN, SD, and IA. Got a bunk house model so I can sleep a couple guys and not worry about being cramped.

Gforcetrivers how is it a Prairie Grove I live on the south side of Indy, and just have never made it over there, I went to Florida to Hard Labor Creek Plantation they have 15 birds at $175 and they are as wild possible. We had 30quail set out and we were able to get 26 of them. It was about 73 degrees in January, using four English Setters, we ran two at a time and then rotated. Had a great time.

David0311

Due to my 10 year old lab having some problems getting up and getting out of my Article Fox truck camper after a long day-- and my other dog being 7--Just purchased new Lance 1475 trailer for my hunting--much easier in and out --and of course up onto the bed--yes they are spoiled:)

Anyone interested in a Artic Fox--811 camper? For short bed truck--artic package--down to zero degrees--with furnace running--:cheers:

Well my gear upgrade for next season is a new 37ft travel trailer by Grand Design. Wife and I pulled the trigger on a 308BHTS and it's on order and being built now. Should be here in april and ready for summer and this next hunting season in MN, SD, and IA. Got a bunk house model so I can sleep a couple guys and not worry about being cramped.

Damn! Go big or go home!! Nice !

Back