What?s your #1 Gear Upgrade After This Hunting Season?

This past year I found out that I really don?t have enough cold weather gear. As I do most of my hunting in Texas, we can get some cold weather later in the season, especially if you are quail hunting around the Texas Panhandle. I would also like to try some late season pheasant hunts in Kansas or South Dakota. One of the threads recommended the LLBean Upland Field Pants with Gore-Tex. I think that is the one item that would upgrade my late winter gear and it is now on my list after the season ends.

What is the number one item on your gear list that you need to upgrade and why?

I need a Dog!! I had a GSP for five years long story short he got cancer and had to be put down, I finally went out this year after taking a year off and quickly realized how much harder it is to locate downed birds by myself, plus having a pup is just so much more fun overall. So my upgrade a new dog!! So excited

I'm interested in a Wings Works vest. Anybody have one?

This or something similar is going to be my upgrade also. Tired of having my bird n lite sewed on all the time. p.o.s. Currently have bottom of pockets duct taped on inside so don't loose shells. Had to have 1 pocket rebuilt last year because of it.

I hope to also look at:

12ga sxs
new chaps
dog - britt or gsp or even........a lab(they're like opinions....everyone has one)

picture.php

Was having to many gremlins with my last truck so I had to get something more reliable.

I'm interested in a Wings Works vest. Anybody have one?

Hey treedaddy, I have one that I'm about to put on the market. Loved it but just keep going back to my old worn out original plus a little weight loss so it doesn't fit me well. It's an XL. I have the two water bottles (maybe) and it's in great shape. Right handed blaze orange and tan.

Buy the blood stain and a few rogue feathers for $120 and I'll ship the vest for free...:p

My upgrade will be a new gun. I shoot a beat up Stoeger Condor that traded an old dirt bike for. Plan upgrade to either a Beretta SP1 or A400 Xplor lefty.

F230D829-A329-4C31-956E-908BACBCC9D2_zpsdzneczch.jpeg

It's past time for a vehicle upgrade. I've been waiting months for the dealer to receive my next ride.

My field coat is threadbare in places. I've deployed iron-on patches where needed. It's been a great coat, still is, and I hate to give up something that has worked so well. Plus, I'm a tightwad. :D

Last edited:
This past year I found out that I really don?t have enough cold weather gear. As I do most of my hunting in Texas, we can get some cold weather later in the season, especially if you are quail hunting around the Texas Panhandle. I would also like to try some late season pheasant hunts in Kansas or South Dakota. One of the threads recommended the LLBean Upland Field Pants with Gore-Tex. I think that is the one item that would upgrade my late winter gear and it is now on my list after the season ends.

What is the number one item on your gear list that you need to upgrade and why?

The LL Bean briar pants are fantastic (these http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68995?feat=pprv ). I have 2 pair and they've held up surprisingly well. I also bought a pair of LL Bean's Gortex a year ago but haven't worn them yet. I won't say the regular briar pants are waterproof, but they do shed water pretty good (which is why I haven't worn the Gortex pants yet). Unless something changes, I have no reason to look at anything else when I need another pair.

My best/favorite upgrade in the last couple years... hands down would be our 2nd GSP (our 2nd lapdog). She's a doll in the house and an absolute go'er in the field. Having 2 dogs in the field has been a blast.

Best equipment purchase... Garmin Alpha... my favorite piece of equipment period.

It's past time for a vehicle upgrade. I've been waiting months for the dealer to receive my next ride.

Congrats... if this is your first 4Runner, it won't be your last. I keep mine pretty clean and baby the thing... but when they're dirty, it just fits. ;)

My field coat is threadbare in places. I've deployed iron-on patches where needed. It's been a great coat and I hate to give up something that has worked so well. Plus, I'm a tightwad. :D

Mine's been pretty trashed for a couple years too, but I just can't find one I like with out dropping more money than I would like. My old coat was a knock-off of a Filson, and Cabelas doesn't sell them anymore. Same with the best pair of brush pants I ever had... My wife has been in a purging mood, cleaning out the closets, donating her old stuff and throwing mine in the trash... :laugh: The secret to making stuff last a long time is waiting a really long time to replace it. :thumbsup:

Congrats... if this is your first 4Runner, it won't be your last. I keep mine pretty clean and baby the thing... but when they're dirty, it just fits. ;)

Thanks man. It will be my first 4runner, and maybe my last. I got 12 years out of my F-150, and it was used when I bought it. This time I'm buying new, and I'm going all out on the exact model of my daydreams. It would be a pleasant surprise if they are still making vehicles like this in 15+ years. I know me, and I could see myself driving this until the wheels literally fall off. :laugh: :cheers:

Nice ride! They DO look good with mud on them! I should take a picture when I pick mine up, because it will probably never be that clean again! :laugh:

Last edited:
Let's see- may get a beretta side by side 20. Got a new bronco, with a bench seat, 6 cyl.4 sod. Great bird huntin rig.gets 18 on the highway.Its old, but great.getting my licenses for Saskatchewan hunt in October.Bought a cool dog vest for my lab.

The secret to making stuff last a long time is waiting a really long time to replace it. :thumbsup:

You may be a fellow tightwad. ;)

Got me one of these a few years ago. Works very well.

The LL Bean briar pants are fantastic (these http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68995?feat=pprv ). I have 2 pair and they've held up surprisingly well. I also bought a pair of LL Bean's Gortex a year ...

Best equipment purchase... Garmin Alpha... my favorite piece of equipment period.

Thanks for the info on the LLBean. Also, awesome 4Runner! Did you have to lift it to get those wheels and tires on it? If so, how much?

Huntmore Vizslas

Thanks for the info on the LLBean. Also, awesome 4Runner! Did you have to lift it to get those wheels and tires on it? If so, how much?

Huntmore Vizslas

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the LL Bean pants... if you watch, they'll offer a 20% and then also a $10 gift card back (typically if the order is over $50). At least they have in the past, which is when I usually do my shopping with them.

Thanks for the compliment on the vehicle... we really enjoy what a 4Runner offers. The all season tires were replaced with KO2's but in the same original factory size. No lift... tempting to do a small one but the reality is these things will go far more places than I have the nerve to take them right off the assembly line... :D so no need to probably lift for my use.

Back