What?s your #1 Gear Upgrade After This Hunting Season?

I lost my Astro this morning so I need another one or to upgrade to an Alpha.:mad:

I honestly can't think of anything I need. Or even want.

At one time I had some gloves that were a waxed canvas, bought at Wal-Mart, perfect balance of insulation and dexterity. Of course I lost one. I'm continually on the look out for the 'Perfect' glove.

I've said for 4 or 5 years I'm going to buy a quality 16 guage SxS. Every year something seems to come up that kills the fun money. This year was a month long period of migraine headaches every few years. $6800 medical deductible later, MRI's, catscans, etc, I'm on medicine that seems to have killed all my headaches.

Seriously thinking of adding another dog to the mix. Was going to be another GSP, but I've started duck hunting and a lab would have been good a few weeks ago when I knocked a duck down in the middle of a pond, no wind to blow it to the side. Went down to what God gave me at birth to go swimming. On New Years Eve. Luckily Texas wasn't that cold that day.

Still have the 89 4 runner although she doesn't see many long trips anymore. I did get a WingWorks vest for Christmas and looking forward to getting it dirty.:thumbsup:

My #1 gear upgrade I ended up getting a month ago so that I could still enjoy it for a few weeks this season!

I got a ARE CX Series topper on my pickup and so far I love it. Went with side vented windoors, so that I can lift up along the sides and also get airflow for the dog.

I bought my Ram 1500 new in 2013, and never thought I would a topper to it. But as the years go on, I started getting more paranoid about stuff, specifically my dog, getting stolen out of the back when stopped somewhere. It gives me a piece of mind that he is always safe back there, but it's also quite nice to be able to put a lot of gear back there and not have to worry about wind, rain, snow, etc.

I'd like to build some very cheap drawers that I can put back there for next year. But in reality, I see myself saying "I've got all spring and summer to do it." Next thing I know it's October 2017 and I haven't built them.

Since hunting season is over, my next upgrade is going to be for the boat. :)

a new MinnKota Ultrex or Ulterra 36v 112 with IPilot link.

IMG_7839.JPG

My #1 gear upgrade I ended up getting a month ago so that I could still enjoy it for a few weeks this season!

I got a ARE CX Series topper on my pickup and so far I love it. Went with side vented windoors, so that I can lift up along the sides and also get airflow for the dog...

I'd like to build some very cheap drawers that I can put back there for next year. But in reality, I see myself saying "I've got all spring and summer to do it." Next thing I know it's October 2017 and I haven't built them.

Make sure you post some pic's if you build the drawers...

Huntmore Vizslas

Gear

I got to order some Tubbs 36" Mountaineer Snowshoes. The 30" that I was on this year had me post holeing like crazy in the deep drifts. I can't hardly believe
how fat I am. Hunting off shoes was fun tho. Hit areas that were unhuntable without them.

Boots will be my 1st priority, I go through boots like crazy it seems like ( or so my wife says) I would like to add another old double to my collection of old doubles, something like a Fox in 16 gauge, we will have the big gun show here in Indianapolis next month, and I happened to get a windfall of cash that would choke a mule. My wife is getting hot onto me about not buying 50 acres in Tennessee yet, which is a good thing. I want to get some Bobwhite quail raised and turn them loose down there.

I got to order some Tubbs 36" Mountaineer Snowshoes. The 30" that I was on this year had me post holeing like crazy in the deep drifts. I can't hardly believe
how fat I am. Hunting off shoes was fun tho. Hit areas that were unhuntable without them.

mgorvi,

What were you hunting? Sounds interesting and productive...

Huntmore Vizslas

Snowshoes

I spent the week before Christmas north of Webster hunting the pot holes on shoes. I busted through the cattails and got down on the ice with the dog while my nephew circled around on the outside on shoes. My dog loves
to tunnel in the tails and we saw more birds than we got, but we shot quite a few. Snow drifts three feet deep in areas and dont even think about it without shoes. As much pressure as that area gets, there were birds and no other people crazy enough to be out there. It is a heart attack waiting to happen tho. Each day was like running a 1/2 marathon. Several years I cancelled my trip that time of year cuz of deep snow. Now I welcome it. The more the better. I actually stepped on a rooster with my shoe, my dog grabbed it and pulled out its tail feathers, it flushed and of course i missed. I was in snow and tails up to my chest and just couldnt finish the job. Bring your ice fishing stuff. Pretty extreme week.

Besides snowshoes

Besides the snow shoes I'm in the process of buying a 6x10 cargo trailer and converting it to a mobile hunting shack. I can insulate the snot out of it, put in windows, and have a vehicle to stay in thats a heck of a lot more substantial than a travel trailer. I'm still new to the game out there, but if there's one thing I've learned, its that the hunting can be vastly different even in 50 mile increments, and being mobile really helps. Ive rented houses and stayed in motels and sort of created a base area of sorts, and that works fine. This past season I branched out a bit and increased my range quite a bit and really enjoyed exploring. I'm gonna stay on the move next season. Towns out there often have free camping with electricity. Gonna spend a little time west river north of Timber Lake and snoop around some. Might be fun. I'll throw my kayak and a couple poles,too.

To your mobile hunting camp, you may want to add a generator that runs on propane, it is quitter than gas and you don't have to worry about the gas fumes from your gas cans.

Generator

Thanks, I'll look into that. Didn't know they exist.
I currently have a Honda that I use, and have a baseboard heater wired with an extension cord. Heats up my truck cap pretty good and if you run that plus dog in the sleeping bag you won't freeze to death. Last Nov. in that storm that we got it was nippy. If you have shore power then you can run a larger baseboard heater. I try to stay away from interior propane type heaters cuz I like waking up.

Mine's been pretty trashed for a couple years too, but I just can't find one I like with out dropping more money than I would like. My old coat was a knock-off of a Filson, and Cabelas doesn't sell them anymore. Same with the best pair of brush pants I ever had... My wife has been in a purging mood, cleaning out the closets, donating her old stuff and throwing mine in the trash... :laugh: The secret to making stuff last a long time is waiting a really long time to replace it. :thumbsup:

Try LL Beans waxed cotton hunting jacket. I had a Filson but that sucker was just too stiff to be comfortable enough to hunt in. It was like wearing an iron coat. Indestructible but not something I could do while hunting.

The LL Bean is made of a lighter weight cotton duck, but it slides through briars, is windproof and is much more flexible than the Filson. Was about 1/4 the price too.

I have lots of other Filson gear but I sold the jacket on Ebay for about what I paid for it.

For the past 3 years I've been wanting a Northstar Plastics 3 dog unit with storage on top or a cargo rack - I'll make it happen this year.

A dog that retrieves. Working on my GSP that is doing great but retrieving is not his strong point. Will be working on that.

Also Outdoor Research Snow gaiters.

Try LL Beans waxed cotton hunting jacket. I had a Filson but that sucker was just too stiff to be comfortable enough to hunt in. It was like wearing an iron coat. Indestructible but not something I could do while hunting.

The LL Bean is made of a lighter weight cotton duck, but it slides through briars, is windproof and is much more flexible than the Filson. Was about 1/4 the price too.

I have lots of other Filson gear but I sold the jacket on Ebay for about what I paid for it.

Thanks. I will definitely check it out. I love my current jacket. I used to wear it everywhere when it looked decent, but those days are long gone!

Speaking of me being cheap... I have lost about 20# over the last year and a half, and discovered this year that I can now fit into a pair of brush pants I retired about 8 years ago. I found them folded on top of the gun safe... If I get another couple years out of those pants, that's like printing free money! And I already have a "slightly used" larger pair ready to go when I get fat again... :laugh:
:cheers:

I think I'm in the boot market. The stitching is failing in certain spots on my Pronghorns.

Back