Turkey Season

What size shot do you use on the morels? Do you need the 3.5 inch high brass stuff:) Nice bird GSH! Good to get the chillin on!

Bird in the bag.
Nice 2 year old. 8-9 inch beard, 5/8 inch spurs. Had his brother with him, we tried to set up a double, but those guys hung up out of range for my oldest. One bird did the old wing dip, and off they decided to go. Shot through a bunch of little trees, around 25 yds, knock crap out of him, but he got up running, son took long shot at him and I shot at him a second time. He made it about 150 yds or so. The good Lord was on our side, death flap was the only way we found him. Hopefully, we can fill a couple more tags this weekend.
No morels, we need rain, bad.
:cheers:

SWEET !!! Well you did better than me. Put two to bed but could get back on them yesterday. Did get within 40 yards of a longbeard but could never get a shot thru the timber.:mad: Did see birds but they are still with hens till late day, then it got too windy. We did manage to see Deer, Covey of Quail, and a Yote who was trying to make a sneak on my decoys. :eek:It is a long season so plenty of time to tag one.:cool:

turkey

a friend and me just returned from n. w. kansas. far fewer birds but still surely enough to go around. i shot one with my bow and had another bullhead bounce off the neck of a tom. that's five in a row. killed the one with an old zwickey. shot another with my 14 ga. my friend shot two birds. in parts of 5 days, never had a decent tom within sight, lots and lots of jakes and one bearded hen. sun. they gobbled at or about the roost, then nothing till thur. morning and they gobbled till we left about 5 hours worth. we had our birds so just listened. i have never heard so much gobbling before, it was incessant, heard two other shots, saw very few hunters

cheers

I haven't been seeing many turkeys at all this year in my part of the state. Buddy talked to a game warden that confirmed numbers were way down. Gonna wax the bowstrings tonight and fling a few arrows, then maybe hunt a morning this weekend. I don't think they're really going yet on the East side of the state, but man are the numbers down....

You're back! I thought you died. lol PM me when you get a chance.:)

Nick

Gunned a tom in Graham Co. opening morning just past 7 a.m. Seven and half inch beard, 15/16 an inch spurs. Taken with 12 ga., 1 1/4 oz. of no. 5 shot through an extra tight choke.

One Shot Turkey Hunt

One Shot Turkey Hunt
After crawling up to the tall bunch of grass to the left of the steel post in the CRP, I watched the two Toms in the group of birds strutting and pushing each other around. I thought that they might give me a chance to get them both with one shot if I waited long enough. When the Toms were about 30 yds out the hens that were closest to me started getting jumpy, so I was going to shoot the closest Tom when the other one came up to him and pushed him with his chest. They were facing me and I waited until their heads were up and about 3" apart before I fired. They both went down. This is one of the luckiest shots I have ever made.
The two birds are laying right where they fell. It was 31 steps from the bunch of grass to the birds. One had a 9" beard, 1 1/8" spurs and weighed 21# the other had a 7" beard 1" spurs and weighed 20#.

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Sweet!!
Makes turkey season short for you.
Never have done that. Guess to afraid that I wouldn't get a clean kill on them, hate to half two hurt birds running in different directions. My luck, I would lose them both.

I would never have attempted it without knowing that my gun consistently puts its favorite load of 2oz of copper plated 5's into a well filled 14" pattern at 30 yds.

Thats was a short fun season. Congrats on the special hunt,

Last season I thought about trying to kill two with one shot with my bow, but decided that I might not kill the back bird, so I waited until I would only hit one of them,

Finally got over here this morning for a hunt-

My buddy has a 50 acre river bottom field on edge of town that is our honey hole. Set up on east side, as it started getting light heard some gobbles on next property south, then some gobbling to our north, as well as hens to north.

Hit the slate call at legal shooting time and the tree behind us a little ways erupted. Gobbled his fool head off. Little yelps or purrs and he kept answering. Got quiet for a few minutes and then out of nowhere he is 100 yards out and in full strut. Never saw or heard him fly down. Dragging wings, gobbling, and spitting all the way in. Decoys were at 25 yards and he came in between us and the decoys.

Dad let him have it at about 12 yards. 15 mins after legal shooting time.

Honey hole produced again.

10.5" beard, 1" spurs

Then this afternoon drove up in grandpa's pasture and was going to do some running and gunning. Sure enough, saw a bird out amongst some scattered cedars and hedge trees. Wind was howling and I don't think he ever heard our calling. Change of plans, we circled down hill and upwind of where we last saw him. Sat in an old brushpile. I started calling on my box call, dad switching up between some mouth and slate calls. Not 5 minutes into it we have two young birds coming in. Wary at the calling, the wind, and no decoys out this time. I let the biggest one have it. Not my biggest, but a 6 1/2" beard. Only a longbeard the rest of the season for me now. :)

Thats a great day in the field with your dad.

Man do I need to go get my tags and make time to get out and do a little turkey hunting.

Congratulations on the birds! I'm stuck here on the computer while the snow is pilling up again in Colorado turkey country...

Great pictures guy's. Cheesy, great pics of you and your dad. Won't be too much longer you will have another one joining you.

Nice Cheesy!!
Where at in SEK do you guys go? Not the exact spot, but what part. Lots of birds down in Cherokee County, lots of birds in Crawford Co.

I took the dogs for a run today and swapped out the SD cards on the game camera's.

Guess I may have to do a little turkey hunting on the alfalfa field.
April14_17.jpg

April14_18.jpg

Nice Cheesy!!
Where at in SEK do you guys go? Not the exact spot, but what part. Lots of birds down in Cherokee County, lots of birds in Crawford Co.

We got these in Wilson county. Hunted our typical spots, but the numbers seem somewhat down. Hard to really tell though as the season comes on and everybody gets the corn put out.

Came back home this morning, northern Crawford County looked like it had a strutting gobbler in every field. Going to talk to a buddy that has a buddy that farms west of Girard about what he has as an option.

Missouri doesn't open for another week or so. :(

Back