Turkey Season

I took the dogs for a run today and swapped out the SD cards on the game camera's.

Guess I may have to do a little turkey hunting on the alfalfa field.
April14_17.jpg

April14_18.jpg

Not sure it is the Alfalfa???

Not sure it is the Alfalfa???

Yes there is 20 acres of alfalfa there, and we are planting another 20 acres in another field that is surrounded by trees that they use for roosting and plum thickets. Still have to plant the 30' buffers of milo around them.

Troy, we were not seeing many turkey until this last week when the alfalfa greened up. But I saw 27 of them walk across the road into my pasture this evening, so they are stating to use the place more.

Last year we really had to work hard to kill our turkeys, son shot 2 in two hunts, and I had to hunt a good hour to get one inside 10 yards to shoot with my bow. Its tough duty but you do what you can :thumbsup:

One Shot Turkey Hunt
After crawling up to the tall bunch of grass to the left of the steel post in the CRP, I watched the two Toms in the group of birds strutting and pushing each other around. I thought that they might give me a chance to get them both with one shot if I waited long enough. When the Toms were about 30 yds out the hens that were closest to me started getting jumpy, so I was going to shoot the closest Tom when the other one came up to him and pushed him with his chest. They were facing me and I waited until their heads were up and about 3" apart before I fired. They both went down. This is one of the luckiest shots I have ever made.
The two birds are laying right where they fell. It was 31 steps from the bunch of grass to the birds. One had a 9" beard, 1 1/8" spurs and weighed 21# the other had a 7" beard 1" spurs and weighed 20#.
There was nothing "lucky" about this shot by my huntin' buddy of 20 years. He used the lay of the land and that small stand of CRP to sneak up on the birds. More important, he is a crack shot with many weapons including, while a paratrooper, a howitzer. The only lucky part was the two toms chest bumping.

Looks like a corntruck flipped over in your alfalfa field ;)

We have been trying to see what Deer are using the alfalfa. They were not getting close enough for my camera at night.

There are enough turkeys running around that pretty much anyone can get one in range without assistance.

If that's what they call a limb find in the field trial world, I've been doing something wrong! Nice pic/bird!

Well I am out after lunch today to hunt the Saline river bottoms north of Hays for Rio's till Saturday evening with my buddies. I hope to have some video to post Monday.

You guy's are doing pretty well. Friend in Lane County sent me 2 pic's of 2 Tom's him and his wife shot. I went out this morning with my chair just to scout. Although the gun was with me. They started Gobbling like crazy for about 10 minutes real early, then just shut up. They are on the wrong side of the river right now, but if you all remember our big flood last year, the grass and weeds are going nuts. I even have a patch of uncut corn on my side because there is a big Cottonwood tree in there from the flood and they just went around it. I thought they(Turkeys) would be hitting it. Maybe later in the season when the hens start to venture more. They do nest on my side. I did not call or anything. Just a wait and see what they did. It was nice to see and here all the Wood ducks coming by. I was going to confront a trespasser , but I think she saw me trying to walk towards her with my gun. Problem is she had 3 dogs running through an area the turkeys could of been. I got within 200 yds of her and started to hurt pretty good and she was headed back from wherever she came from, so I let it slide this time. Keep posting up some of the different kinds of turkeys, because I have a hard time telling the difference between the two you have. Merriams are easy to see between Rios for me, but Eastern I do not see often enough!!! If anyone gets a side by side pic, that would be sweet or even a cross if you have them. Thanks, Chad

better than nothing

a week or so ago shot this jake, about 18 ft. 45# howatt hunter and zwickey 4 blade delta, went just a few feet
decoy009_zpsd4dcac04.jpg

Sweet Musti! Fooling those eyes is a big accomplishment. 18 feet is grand! I'm so tired of folks bragging about their long archery shots only to find out they had to wound 4 to kill 1. Getting your quarry within 10 yards and still being able to complete the contract is the real deal. I've killed more deer at 4 yards than outside of 11. Congrats!

Sweet Musti! Fooling those eyes is a big accomplishment. 18 feet is grand! I'm so tired of folks bragging about their long archery shots only to find out they had to wound 4 to kill 1. Getting your quarry within 10 yards and still being able to complete the contract is the real deal. I've killed more deer at 4 yards than outside of 11. Congrats!

I agree, getting them in close is a sign of a good patient hunter.

And besides, I know my range with a bow, and close is a big plus ;)

Mustistuff - have you shot one in the neck with a bullhead yet?

bow hunting

answer to one post is, i did use a blind and while the bow was partially pulled, the bird did see me complete my draw and froze. that response is pretty common, tells you the jig is up and ya better shoot. had one too close to the blind, like 7 ft. but the blind was in the way. the other post is, no i have not killed a turkey yet with the bullhead and i am having a terrible time trying. so far i have hit 4 birds in the neck area, below the waddle and well above the beard and so far all have bounced off. the range has been from about 14 ft. to 30 fr. one turkey that was hit didn't even run off. on a direct hit i don't believe my bow has the power to penetrate and slice the neck. will try again this week and try for the head or just miss the neck so that the blades cut the bird. and am shooting a 490 gr. arrow at about 207 fps for a recurve that is pretty fast and the arrow is not a light weight either. using this same set up i put my arrow clean through the big horn sheep i shot years ago and have done the same on a couple of elk. these damn turkey are tough.

cheers

Back