Turkey Season

The Bullhead really need to hit up above the feathers on the neck.
The thing I like about them is if you hit them up in the neck they are dead, but it is pretty hard to wound them badly, and not kill them.

I shoot a compound bow with sights, so what you are doing is out of my skill level.

Where to hit em'

my next shot will be at the head or at least the waddle. seems like at the moment of truth, so to speak, i get chicken and aim for a middle area, i'll next time shoot higher. actually at the range i shoot i might be just as well of is to shoot a broadhead but with a bullhead, if you miss, you get the arrow back. i would also bet that if you consider the kill area of the head and neck, it is larger than the body kill area of the turkey and as a plus, one wouldn't have to be concerned with hitting the wing butt which is an arrow stopper. i learn hard and give up hard too.

cheers

Work done by a Bullhead :thumbsup:

April09_0211.jpg

dead bird

Work done by a Bullhead :thumbsup:

April09_0211.jpg

i have seen probably all the video's on decapitation but i would believe nearly all of them have occurred with much stronger bows than i can handle. would also think that say 65#'s would have the powder to push into the neck area so that the blades can cut, anyway, working on it and so far other than maybe a sore neck, i ain't hurt a bird trying, but will aim higher this week

cheers

there is a video on the internet that shows a guy that hit a turkey with the bullhead and then chased it for a long ways, looked to me like the recovery was a crap shoot, but he did get it.

way to go guys! NICE birds....I'm going crazy here....I was only able to get 2 tags this year here in IL....first season and 4th season. I got a nice bird on opening day last week so that tag is filled now I have to wait till May 1st to hunt again...I'm going crazy. May have to head out that way to try to kill a bird. I envy you guys for getting it done with the bow... I haven't been able to give up my gun. although my first bird would have been an easy shot at less than 10 yards.

I have my bow turned down to 60# as I remember. I have only had a couple where it was a complete decapitation. Usually there is a little skin holding the head on. But I can tell you they don't do any running after they get hit in the neck.

way to go guys! NICE birds....I'm going crazy here....I was only able to get 2 tags this year here in IL....first season and 4th season. I got a nice bird on opening day last week so that tag is filled now I have to wait till May 1st to hunt again...I'm going crazy. May have to head out that way to try to kill a bird. I envy you guys for getting it done with the bow... I haven't been able to give up my gun. although my first bird would have been an easy shot at less than 10 yards.

kansas has a pretty fantastic season about 2 mo. long, that's lots of time so that we have a variety of weather, breeding temp, etc. kinda the whole ball of wax and if you want a lic. just go buy a couple and they are pretty cheap. just love it and the next best thing to running my mutts, way ahead of yard work

cheers

ANYTHING is ahead of yard work. I have spots to hunt in MO that are less than hour away but I have a hard time shelling out $190 for a tag....

Is that an Eastern? The colors on the lower back are awesome! I just shot my first bird with a maxus bullhead on Saturday. I hit him a little low in the neck but it still killed him.

We have mostly Easterns around here. But there is some variation in color.

I love the white tips on those Merriams.

rio's

pastor john and me just spent parts of 3 days trying to lure the crafty ol' turkey within range, i had my bow and never got a shot but saw the longest beard i have ever seen in the area and it is still walking around. john shot his first rio, a nice tom and then missed a jake twice. almost no gobbling or yelps etc. saw a fair number of birds but not nearly the numbers of past years. lots of wind though. for the 2nd time this year, saw my quail buddies, 5 flushed, not many in the area so it is a pleasure to see them once in awhile, fun to watch as he chases his would be girl friend around hoping to get a little, know the feeling or at least used too. some pheasant crowing but not a lot, wind made it hard to do or hear anything. headed back later in the week, the pastor want's his 2nd bird

cheers

Jake?

This a Jake or Not? I think I can see some beard and some small spurs, but hens don't get this red do they?

turkey_zps1e039381.jpg

I would say jake. I tell you we have not seen one Jake this entire season. Birds are a way down.

We saw 6 in a group with 9 hens. Well, 6 had red heads like this, but was tough to see any beard. The hens were obvious hens. If he is still around next weekend, my daughter should have a great chance. They have been getting into the fenced yard and then have trouble figuring out how to get out. Maybe these were just a late hatch and beards are not there yet. Usually I can see a one to two inch beard. Sounds like you did not have a good hatch at all out there last year.

We saw 6 in a group with 9 hens. Well, 6 had red heads like this, but was tough to see any beard. The hens were obvious hens. If he is still around next weekend, my daughter should have a great chance. They have been getting into the fenced yard and then have trouble figuring out how to get out. Maybe these were just a late hatch and beards are not there yet. Usually I can see a one to two inch beard. Sounds like you did not have a good hatch at all out there last year.

Has not been a good hatch for 3 or 4 years. Areas that use to have huge flocks of 30 or more have nothing at all.

Back