Turkey Season

SetterNut

Its only a few day before archery season start for Turkeys.

Sure seem to me that the things are behind last season. Not much has greened up. We haven't been seeing a lot of turkeys showing up on the place. I was kind of the same last year before the season, didn't see many. But once the breeding got started, there was enough to keep things interesting.

I need to get the bow out and fling a few arrows.

May13_55.jpg

April13_2467.jpg

April13_2178.jpg

Let the fun begin :cheers:

where did they go?

i have had a couple of post crying about where my turkey went on the ranch i have the run of, got no answer. the other day, being bored, discovered that the kan. f&g does a route study the same as they do for pheasant and quail. guess what! their study shows that the turkey have suffered the same fate with poor to little hatch production these past two years. that, folks, is where they went, am seeing a few, and a few roosters side the road a couple of weeks ago. just about all packed, will be there for opening day. two things i am playing with is i intend to at least hit my fourth bird in the neck with a bullhead and maybe kill this one, and i have put on a string tracker, kinda home made to use with the large zwickey i have. haven't had much luck with penetration either. shooting a recurve at 46#'s arrow wt. of 498 gr. at 207 fps and having a hard time

cheers

Birds are starting to break up.Went on a little scouting mission this am, where there where none a week ago, there where several today. Wish I had grabbed the crossbow, but still lots of time.

I have not gotten out yet,,,, heck I guess I better go get my tags first. :eek:

The birds are not as far along into the breeding process at this time as they were this time last season.

I sure hope that most of the 9 Jakes that we didn't shoot last season are still around as horny 2 year olds. They are the most fun, beating up on the decoys. :D

Burned two units today. That usually keeps my eyes glued to the flames, but on the way home I had 1 gobbler with about 12 hens stop my truck while they jogged across in front of me. I've been seeing several the last 2-3 weeks and have observed tracks without birds in them as well. It's not the gaggle we had 3-4 years ago, but enough for a good boost should mother nature comply. Heard some quail as well. I did murder a whole bunch of juvenile cedar trees! Whahaha!

Got out opening day in western Kansas and filled out one tag so far. Birds out west seem to be much farther along in the breeding season than they were last year.

I haven't been seeing many turkeys at all this year in my part of the state. Buddy talked to a game warden that confirmed numbers were way down. Gonna wax the bowstrings tonight and fling a few arrows, then maybe hunt a morning this weekend. I don't think they're really going yet on the East side of the state, but man are the numbers down....

nw kansas

spend 22 hours in my blind, never got a reply, got my book read though. saw several hundred turkey in the area but none cared for me. mostly large groups and few gobbles except real early, little strutting, no fighting and the jakes were just being jakes, a few hens by themselves, lost one blind to the wind on monday, what a wreck. far fewer birds in my area and the state said as much after two years of poor hatch, kinda like the pheasants and quail. i have been asking what happened to the birds, thought disease, nope, bad back to back hatches, i only need a couple though

cheers

A lot more of them out East. Brother still seeing them flocked up and hundreds at a time. He did say they are splitting up more everyday!

Nice looking bird. one of these years, I am going to have to try my luck on those funny looking turkeys you guys have out west.:10sign::cheers:

Nice looking bird. one of these years, I am going to have to try my luck on those funny looking turkeys you guys have out west.:10sign::cheers:

Thanks! It was my first with the bow. There are some goofy looking birds out west. We had another tom come in that had bleached white tips like a Goulds.

Let's get it on!!!!

Turkey season opens tomorrow...Who goin?

Headed out to the farm in a couple hours to put'em to bed. :thumbsup:

Get some good pic's!!!! I am walking now short distances, so maybe in 3 weeks I can manage to scare one up !!! One for the Daughter as well!!!!:cheers:

My farmer friend I usually turkey hunt on said he has decent numbers, but that they appear to be almost all older birds. He said the birds on his land didn't hardly hatch anything last Spring, and he has been seeing almost no jakes or smallish hens. Only bigguns...:D

Anybody else in NE Kansas observing this?
:cheers:

Hope some of you guys did better then us.The youngest decided he could miss a little school this AM. Should of went to class. Birds are there, lots, but we where in the wrong position this am. Hope to have better luck this pm. Man, it was cold decent frost in the grass. Birds are talking a lot, but won't leave the hens,and the hens aren't talking, so you can't piss them off. When it warms up a little more, they should work better.

Good Luck

Bird in the bag.
Nice 2 year old. 8-9 inch beard, 5/8 inch spurs. Had his brother with him, we tried to set up a double, but those guys hung up out of range for my oldest. One bird did the old wing dip, and off they decided to go. Shot through a bunch of little trees, around 25 yds, knock crap out of him, but he got up running, son took long shot at him and I shot at him a second time. He made it about 150 yds or so. The good Lord was on our side, death flap was the only way we found him. Hopefully, we can fill a couple more tags this weekend.
No morels, we need rain, bad.

Back