Personal Protection

Depends on where I'm going, what I'm doing, and what I'm wearing. Could be anything from a 1911, a .40 S&W, a .380, a 9mm, to a .22 mag. My favorite carry piece is a KelTec PMR 30 .22 mag . . . just under 20 ounces fully-loaded, reliable, & accurate; it also fits almost all of my 1911 holsters. I religiously practice carrying, drawing, & shooting all of my carry pieces; I shoot a lot, but ensure that I remain proficient with the handguns I may have to rely on (again) some day. I hope not, but one never knows.

Good choice, I really like my PMR 30.

For church and stuff I conceal a 50 cal. in my pants. Women really like that:D When I go to the meaner parts of town I got a abrams tank deguised as a school bus and hire a swat team just in case theres trouble:eek: And as the final solution I got B52 locked and loaded. You can never be to safe:thumbsup:

If you ever find yourself in a threatening situation, Coot you can just disarm the perps with your wit . . .

Believe me, I don't think for a second that your wife shouldn't be able to carry because of idiots like this. I just find it ironic that the thing that was meant to protect them in fact got them both killed. These guys wanted to be macho men but when it came down to it both were scared. All this over one of the stupidest things imaginable, road rage.

Can you post a link since you must have read a report or story to know so much about what happened?

Can you post a link since you must have read a report or story to know so much about what happened?

Bad link. Easy to find a couple of nimrods shooting at each other on the highway. Doesn't look like anyone was even shot.

I would imagine this is the story. I don't see where anyone was killed. This is just a story of a couple of idiots.........they just happened to have a concealed carry permit. Just like any other story. People against will spin it as a reason not to allow it. Just like people for would spin another story a different way. If you look at the pictures, these guy's look like they would have had guns either way. At least no innocent people were killed. If these two would have offed themselves who cares.

Last edited:
You're exactly right.

The shooting in Wisconsin was 2 thuggish fools shooting at each other who happened to have permits. Nobody died.

The road rage shooting when both guys died was in Michigan and both guys happened to have permits. To say they were both idiots without knowing what happened is just wrong. One of them could have fired after the other one was the aggressor. Being this is the internet it's easier to just run your mouth without knowing what happened.

Of course no matter what happened it tells us that there is crazies in the world and being prepared might not be a bad idea. If somebody gets pissed because you didn't put a blinker on, they might be armed and bat shit crazy.

You're exactly right.

The shooting in Wisconsin was 2 thuggish fools shooting at each other who happened to have permits. Nobody died.

The road rage shooting when both guys died was in Michigan and both guys happened to have permits. To say they were both idiots without knowing what happened is just wrong. One of them could have fired after the other one was the aggressor. Being this is the internet it's easier to just run your mouth without knowing what happened.

Of course no matter what happened it tells us that there is crazies in the world and being prepared might not be a bad idea. If somebody gets pissed because you didn't put a blinker on, they might be armed and bat shit crazy.

After reading that story also I will amend my previous statement to include that all four of them are idiots. So according to the Michigan story, they pulled into a car wash parking lot after one was following to closely on the highway? And one of the guy's that died put his wife and mother at risk because he had a hard on for someone tailgating him? IDIOTS in the highest regard. That much I know for sure. Much like alcohol makes people feel bulletproof, so does packing a gun. I carry. I work in a dangerous area. My wife, an uber liberal, encouraged me to get a concealed carry. But guess what I'm not going to push the envelope because some guy is tailgaiting me on the highway. I bet both of those guy's had an oh shit moment when the other pulled out his piece. Good riddance.

Last edited:
I did a search and came up with a witness account and if she is correct I'd say only one of them was getting out of a confrontation. The other guy just wanted to wash his car. Since I wasn't there I'll say that's a possibility.

P.S. One of the shooters didn't have a valid permit....

Last edited:
All the accounts I have read said both men exited their vehicles and started arguing before a gun was produced by the tailgater. Everybody has three options in these scenarios; fight, flight or freeze and even animals only fight when all other options are exhausted. What better way to flee a situation than in your vehicle? The guy being tailgated must have known an altercation was to follow based on the others aggressive driving and the fact that he followed him into the car wash. But that's not the case. Its a sad story that will definitely be spun for a sides gain but the fact remains that this was senseless violence

Don't get my take on this story twisted either, I support concealed carry. I had my scrawny ass saved from being jumped by 4 guys by a retired sheriff when I went vigalante on a guy who tried to flee on foot after he t boned my sister in law and my brother and I. That guy saved me from a royal ass whopping for sure but chasing the guy down probably wasn't the best idea ever since my judgement was clouded by rage in that moment.

All this talk about "personal protection" but I'm interested in hearing what you all carry.

I have a Keltec PF9. It's one of the smallest single stack 9mm's. Haven't shot it much but it will probably do the job is needed. The two biggest complaints I have about it is the long trigger pull and the small trigger guard. I don't think someone with large hands and fingers could shoot it.

.380 LCP--the wife shoots this gun well.
.38 revolver--I don't carry unless I'm goin' somewhere scary. KC is like a foreign land to me. I'm apparently not the tough-guy ole' cooty is.....I have a feeling he's the kind of guy that you could smack in the head 50 times with a stick and still not reduce his IQ....

I've only been in a hanful of fights in my life time. I can't say I've 'won' them all, but nobody ever left me sleeping and I never had to retreat. All this talk about "I'm 8 foot 10 inches, I ain't scared/I don't need to carry" is laughable. Whether you take up more space than the next guy is irrelevant. A midget with a baseball bat could take your unprotected life if he wanted/needed to.

Last edited:
.380 LCP--the wife shoots this gun well.
.38 revolver--I don't carry unless I'm goin' somewhere scary. KC is like a foreign land to me. I'm apparently not the tough-guy ole' cooty is.....I have a feeling he's the kind of guy that you could smack in the head 50 times with a stick and still not reduce his IQ....

I've only been in a hanful of fights in my life time. I can't say I've 'won' them all, but nobody ever left me sleeping and I never had to retreat. All this talk about "I'm 8 foot 10 inches, I ain't scared/I don't need to carry" is laughable. Whether you take up more space than the next guy is irrelevant. A midget with a baseball bat could take your unprotected life if he wanted/needed to.

I also carry a .38 on occasion, I just like the way it feels in my hand. I ordered a ruger 1911 rosewood and chrome saturday. I have wanted one for a long time:). I am trying to get my wife to get hers. That might be stretching it a bit.

I also carry a .38 on occasion, I just like the way it feels in my hand. I ordered a ruger 1911 rosewood and chrome saturday. I have wanted one for a long time:). I am trying to get my wife to get hers. That might be stretching it a bit.

Yep, I too like the way it feels. I also like the reliability of a revolver.

Don't get my take on this story twisted either, I support concealed carry. I had my scrawny ass saved from being jumped by 4 guys by a retired sheriff when I went vigalante on a guy who tried to flee on foot after he t boned my sister in law and my brother and I. That guy saved me from a royal ass whopping for sure but chasing the guy down probably wasn't the best idea ever since my judgement was clouded by rage in that moment.

Hypocritical much?

Last edited:
You acted on road rage just the same as the guys you are calling idiots.

Personally I don't think your an idiot but you gotta see the irony in that?

Carptom,

That is great your getting your 1911!

I have a CZ 75 Compact L Custom in .9mm I carry daily. I am waitng on my Dan Wesson ECO .45 1911 now. I see more reasons to carry now more than ever. Heck guys are getting shot driving around KC metro area. Three incidents in the last 2 weeks.:eek: I feel it nessesary until I get to move out of town to the farm.

Shoot Straight!

The differnce being something actually transpired in my story, being t-boned at about 50mph, and nobody lost their life because of my actions but it wouldn't be a strecth to call my actions idiotic that day. It did nothing to help the situation, the guy would have been caught either way.

All this talk about "personal protection" but I'm interested in hearing what you all carry.

I have a Keltec PF9. It's one of the smallest single stack 9mm's. Haven't shot it much but it will probably do the job is needed. The two biggest complaints I have about it is the long trigger pull and the small trigger guard. I don't think someone with large hands and fingers could shoot it.

Anaconda w/4" barrel, my only hand gun.

Back