Personal Protection

XD .45 for me. Fancying a Walther P99 if I can find one and have the money. I have too many hobbies that cost money!

XD .45 for me. Fancying a Walther P99 if I can find one and have the money. I have too many hobbies that cost money!

I love my XD 45.... I was lucky enough to buy 1500 230gr. Golden Saber bullets for reloading before things went nuts and 800 rnd nose for target shooting.

Have you guys ever had trouble traveling?

Yes. Was way out in the sticks of N. Nevada fishing with a pretty woman. Three drunk stangers, two of whom were evil, one with a nine-shot .22 revolver, decided they wanted to "party" with her and I was in the way. My Colt Anaconda acted as the Great Dissuader. Whew, glad I had it. Otherwise I would probably not be around today. Why do I go armed? Because some home invaders got the drop on me in '73 and put a round in me for no reason. Never again.

Last edited:
Yes. Was way out in the sticks of N. Nevada fishing with a pretty woman. Three drunk stangers, two of whom were evil including one with a nine-shot .22 revolver, decided they wanted to "party" with her and I was in the way. My Colt Anaconda proved very effective as the Great Dissuader. Whew, glad I had it. Otherwise I would probably not be around today. Why do I go armed? Because some home invaders got the drop on me in '73 and put one in me.

Remind me not to play poker with you...not because of your Colt, but because of the patience you displayed in saving this story till now;)

I'm glad you made it through to be with us today!

Remind me not to play poker with you...not because of your Colt, but because of the patience you displayed in saving this story till now;)

I'm glad you made it through to be with us today!

Thank you KB. Way more excitement than I ever wanted. A dog, a gun, and some boon companions afield is plenty enough.

I had a gun pulled on me one time from a discruntal coon hunter. Guy was in prison for years for stealing tractors and all sorts of crap. Well years go by and I started hunting this guys land. One night he says if you see this so and so guy, just send him up to my house, heard he's back and he's trouble. Don't want you to deal with him and he will most likely be around his old haunts with out even asking. Sure enough that same night we were treed by wild hogs in the woods. So when we could get down from the tree we headed for the truck. There he was waiting. We told him yeah, I guess the land owner said if we see you to tell you he wants you to come to the house. He went to his truck, got a rifle and held 3 of us at gun point and chewed us out for hoarding in on his spot from 10 years ago LOL. we let him belly ache, and drive off. But I think if we had smarted off he would have shot all 3 of us. I will not let anyone get that far again. My brother had a gun at his head in the twin citys one night too by some gang bangers. XDM9..... Hope I never have to use it, but if I do, I am well versed in how. And its fun shooting the crap out of it. Nice gun. I see several of you are springfield toters. They are some real nice hand guns. I think the best out there for over all. Love the 19 round mags. I got a load worked up using hornady xtp's, and man, they will certainly do the job. Very accurate out to 50 yards. They did not screw around making that series of weapons.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
There are several brands of hand cannons out that will do the job just fine. Smith and wesson, springfield, glock, and ruger. But Imho They don't handle like a Kimber custom shop. I guess it all come down to what you shoot well. KImber in my book is the best. I have shot all brands I mentioned and owned a few of them. Colt is a second. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

There are several brands of hand cannons out that will do the job just fine. Smith and wesson, springfield, glock, and ruger. But Imho They don't handle like a Kimber custom shop. I guess it all come down to what you shoot well. KImber in my book is the best. I have shot all brands I mentioned and owned a few of them. Colt is a second. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Man I hate to agree with you:)...........but I will have too. The Kimbers are like the difference between a benelli and remington. They both get the job done but one just feels and looks a little nicer IMO. I don't own one, maybe when I quit paying for some kids I can squeeze one out:)

My Wife and I are planning to tour the Sun Belt starting next Dec.
I'll probably have a 12 gauge or two. :)

What would you guys recommend, something my Wife could protect me with.

I have a story about a close call.
I was alone hunting the high country in SW WY. (Wind River Range) I was on the right side of the mountain and got out during the worst blizzard imaginable. Went into Riverton found a Motel that had a vacancy. As I was bringing my gear into the motel I noticed these guys watching me closely. No question they were planning to rob me.
I had Ruff Ruff with me. (duh) Ruff in His prime 90 plus pounds solid muscle black Lab. Loved people and always friendly, he DID NOT! like those guys and wanted to take em on.
I also had a 12 gauge along. :) Made sure they were watching as I took the uncased 12 and a couple boxes of shells, clearly made it visible to them.

They tore the HECK out of there. Ruff and the 12 saved me that day.

Riverton by the way is in the Wind River Indian Rez and known to be a bad place to stop over. (enter at your own risk type place)

In all my travels and staying here and there in the back country, that is the only close call I've had. Once is all it takes I know.

So We want a little more peace of mind on our trips.

My Wife and I are planning to tour the Sun Belt starting next Dec.
I'll probably have a 12 gauge or two. :)

What would you guys recommend, something my Wife could protect me with.

I have a story about a close call.
I was alone hunting the high country in SW WY. (Wind River Range) I was on the right side of the mountain and got out during the worst blizzard imaginable. Went into Riverton found a Motel that had a vacancy. As I was bringing my gear into the motel I noticed these guys watching me closely. No question they were planning to rob me.
I had Ruff Ruff with me. (duh) Ruff in His prime 90 plus pounds solid muscle black Lab. Loved people and always friendly, he DID NOT! like those guys and wanted to take em on.
I also had a 12 gauge along. :) Made sure they were watching as I took the uncased 12 and a couple boxes of shells, clearly made it visible to them.

They tore the HECK out of there. Ruff and the 12 saved me that day.

Riverton by the way is in the Wind River Indian Rez and known to be a bad place to stop over. (enter at your own risk type place)

In all my travels and staying here and there in the back country, that is the only close call I've had. Once is all it takes I know.

So We want a little more peace of mind on our trips.

Unfortunately there is quite of bit of violence near reservation border towns, not to mention ON the reservation. Mostly seem to be focused on themselves, particularly women. I have stayed in Riverton, seems there was a lot of traffic, milling around the burg. Some were transient Neer-do-well's. Who use a small town, with less than robust policing, to take advantage. It is compound trouble near the reservation. I have seen the same in most reservation scenario's . I go there, but I will not take my 16 year old daughters, even armed! On the reservation, your recourse is to Indian Police, and courts, who may be well intentioned, but are hopelessly out gunned. It's a tragedy, just like gang bangers, in metro areas, school shooters, etc. I hope we can find away to resolve this. But gun control is NOT the answer, personal control is the problem, either they are disturbed, or have disregard for their fellow man, if they are disturbed we owe them supervised mental health, if they are of the persuasion that the can get want the want with disregard to every one else......they should be "pruned" out of the gene pool, forth with.

Jmac, have you owned one of these XDM model Springfields? I think you would change your mind :)

Ken,
My dad has one and I've shot it several times. It's a very nice pistol, I just like my Kimbers better. But to each there own. :thumbsup:

I don't carry any beyond a pocket knife, which I think of more as a practical tool but I guess it could double as protection if it came down to it. Otherwise, I just try to stay alert and informed about where I am, and exercise due care in the choices I make.

If they made a pistol that you could shoot like 10 gauge buckshot with I would buy that:thumbsup: Can you imagine how big their eyes would be after the first shoot:eek: Bet it would kick like a mule:D

An interesting thread for an Englishman to read...

Handguns are all illegal here, as is carrying any blade greater than 3" without good reason - so I even have to make sure I don't leave a hunting knife in my car.

All my shotguns and rifles are locked in a gun safe as the law requires so would be no good for home defence. The police have a record of all serial numbers of my guns and I have to notify them if I buy or sell a shotgun and have to get permission to buy a rifle.

Would I carry a handgun for self defence if I could? Yes, definitely, but that's never going to happen here...I don't even tell people I have guns unless they are into hunting / fishing, promotes too much fear and negativity here.

Gun companies are eating big old steaks with Obama:eek: Gun stocks up 270%. He's got to be the greatest president in american history:eek:. We should make him King:10sign::D I'm going save 314 dollars a MONTH with Obama care. That will buy me tons of guns to fend of the Rush/insanity hannity And tea partiers in tight colonial pants crowds:D

Back