Personal Protection

An interesting thread for an Englishman to read...

Handguns are all illegal here, as is carrying any blade greater than 3" without good reason - so I even have to make sure I don't leave a hunting knife in my car.

All my shotguns and rifles are locked in a gun safe as the law requires so would be no good for home defence. The police have a record of all serial numbers of my guns and I have to notify them if I buy or sell a shotgun and have to get permission to buy a rifle.

Would I carry a handgun for self defence if I could? Yes, definitely, but that's never going to happen here...I don't even tell people I have guns unless they are into hunting / fishing, promotes too much fear and negativity here.

Again, welcome to the forum. In the history of Great Britain has private gun ownership akin to what we have here ever been the case? I would be interested in a vignette of gun ownership/gun rights in the UK. Thank you, and my apologies for some immoderation that appeared in response to your post.

Last edited:
You took that a bit wrong BC. I was merely stating we value that freedom here, and don't ever give up the right. Please stop the personal attacks. I removed the post for you, but again, you clearly misinterpreted it. It was not intended to go after another user. Again just to appreciate what we have and hope all people here who value that right do whatever it takes to keep it here forever.

Last edited:
Ken,I hope at some point they will offer them as a component! I am sure they will as a company not want to do that right away, so everyone would have to buy the ammo. It looks to be a show stopper though!!!

An interesting thread for an Englishman to read...

Handguns are all illegal here, as is carrying any blade greater than 3" without good reason - so I even have to make sure I don't leave a hunting knife in my car.

All my shotguns and rifles are locked in a gun safe as the law requires so would be no good for home defence. The police have a record of all serial numbers of my guns and I have to notify them if I buy or sell a shotgun and have to get permission to buy a rifle.

Would I carry a handgun for self defence if I could? Yes, definitely, but that's never going to happen here...I don't even tell people I have guns unless they are into hunting / fishing, promotes too much fear and negativity here.

How are the offensive weapons laws in GB worded or enforced in relation to dogs?

Again, welcome to the forum. In the history of Great Britain has private gun ownership akin to what we have here ever been the case? I would be interested in a vignette of gun ownership/gun rights in the UK. Thank you, and my apologies for some immoderation that appeared in response to your post.

I don't think private gun ownership here has ever been comparable to the US. My father was only telling me yesterday how in the 70s shotguns were kept behind the door ready to go out and a shotgun license could be bought from a post office.

Now gun ownership is in general, unusual. It takes up to 6 months to be granted a license by the police and then they have to inspect your security cabinet. I would say in rural areas possibly 15% of people may own a shotgun and probably 5% of people own rifles. To own a rifle you have to demonstrate a "need" ie pest control on land where you have permission of the land owner to shoot. For a shotgun you don't need to demonstrate a need, just pass the security checks as a lot of people will just go and shoot clays at a club somewhere and not hunt.

Sadly people here think meat comes from a supermarket and have lost the link between animals and food.

How are the offensive weapons laws in GB worded or enforced in relation to dogs?

There are banned breeds of dogs which are considered dangerous (pit bull and other fighting breeds) and possession of these would be an offence but not classed as a weapon. Sadly in urban areas here, the wrong type of person has powerful dogs which they train to be aggressive as a status symbol, even more sadly there are criminal gangs who steal hunting dogs, spaniels especially as they are so soft they use them to train the fighting dogs as they won't fight back. I won't write on an open forum what I would do to anyone who tried to take either of my dogs!

Oscarsdad, I honestly think I could spend a day or two hunting with You.:thumbsup:

:cheers:

I'll bring the sloe gin

OD

Back