NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

A wet El Nina signal is getting started in the So. Pacific tropics and along the equator that can rapidly send beneficial rains to S. W. Kansas and the Texas/Oklahoma panhandles.

Look at the SOI Index, on the link below, for May 5, 2013 its negative 28 (-28). The SOI Index have not been in that big of a negative since spring of 2010.
www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/.../southernoscillationindex/30daysoivalue...‎

The Soi Index goes negative (a sign of a weak El Nina) when the waters near the equator and the S. Pacific heats up. These warm waters send abundant moisture northward on to So. Calif. Baja Calif. and into the southwest.

This is the type of moisture we need to get places like Elkhard, Hugoton, Liberal and Dodge City Kansas a good soaking. Those rains will also wet up Guymon, Oklahoma as well as Dalhart and Amarillo, Texas.

If you draw a line from Pratt, Kansas southward to Altus Oklahoma and Vernon Texas. Everybody west of that line did not get a lot of rain over the last month, because that moisture was drawn up from the Gulf of Mexico. To get place like liberal kansas and Dumas Texas a good soaking the moisture most of the time comes in from the Southwest.

Look at the US Doppler Radar today, that negative SOI (weak sign of El Nina) is already sending good showers to Clovis, NM and Lubbock, Texas.http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/dopplerradarusnational/index_large.html

If this continues off and on for the rest of May and June we can still get good to fair wheat crop and a good game bird hatch.

Tell Pastor John to keep praying.

Last edited:
I was in Liberal yesterday and it is butt ugly dry there! Much of the wheat is burned from the freeze and you can walk out and stick your hand down in the cracks in the wheat. From Mullinville west it's that way. I saw lizards carrying canteens. Pratt is in better shape and so is Greensburg.

I was in Liberal yesterday and it is butt ugly dry there! Much of the wheat is burned from the freeze and you can walk out and stick your hand down in the cracks in the wheat. From Mullinville west it's that way. I saw lizards carrying canteens. Pratt is in better shape and so is Greensburg.

So this may not be the best year for me to run out there after Scalies :(

So far this year moisture from rains and snows total 3.05". So much better than the last two years, but still no subsoil moisture, of course. Could be rain during this week.

Maynard,
I will hope and pray that your prediction for rain comes true. We need it so bad. Heck Armadillos started migrating too North Dakota! I'll keep an eye on the radar mid-week!

Looks to be a nice line of storms headed in. Hail may be a factor. They are not moving very fast.:cheers:

Some rain in Dodge last night and some really nice showers around Dodge, but not even a sprinkle at the ranch. Slight chance tonight.

Just checked the weather in the SW part of the state and I noticed the humidity is only 4 percent. Man, that is dry.

Just checked the weather in the SW part of the state and I noticed the humidity is only 4 percent. Man, that is dry.

It is terrible dry at the ranch. Last moisture was April 27th and that was 0.80", bringing moisture from rain and snow since January 1st to 3.05". June typically is a heavy rainfall month. It hasn't been in the last few years, but maybe this year.

Looks to be zeroing in on you today Maynard!! Hope it is just good moisture and not rotating like all the other storms going through Kansas!!!

pastor john

It is time to mobilize "Pastor John", now we need to get the heavy artillery involved! :)

he just left to go back to indiana to his kid grad. at perdue, now that he is getting rid of her he'll have more money to go hunting. will speak to him soon as he gets back. his pup is doing pretty well, just shows that gsp are such great dogs, anybody can train them

cheers

he just left to go back to indiana to his kid grad. at perdue, now that he is getting rid of her he'll have more money to go hunting. will speak to him soon as he gets back. his pup is doing pretty well, just shows that gsp are such great dogs, anybody can train them

cheers

:10sign:

lol

Somebody must have got that rain machine workin'. Dad said they had about 2" of steady rain last night and that it's over-cast this morning and still sprinkling:thumbsup:

Back