NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

First blast just passed through and another on the way. I am guessing 8-9 inches so far. Strong(31mpg) and unusual SE winds drifting roads to about four to five feet. Cat Dozer opening some roads in the area. Lots of wrecks and rollovers on the scanner. Jaws of life being used.

Gathered cows yesterday from pasture and have them in the corral, but no protection from SE winds. Hope enough snow catches on machinery and stuff before it fills the corrals with drifts.

Forecast is for another day of this.

A SE wind in Dodge would not be good.

National Beef is on the SE side of town. :eek:

As is Cargill.

A couple years ago we had a lake effect snow with some southerly winds coming off the lagoons at Cargill. Dodge City's version of acid snow.

Been so long since a good Storm has dumped like this! It will be crappy for a while and hate to see the wind with that much snow! But the ground needs every bit it can get! You should be able to count every bird in each county now and divide by the acreage in the county and see that it is not good. Pray for everyones safety and be careful out in it!!! Send us some pic's Maynard!!

I have lost a lot of trees, mostly cedar trees in a 13 year old windbreak due to the drought. This snow should pack lots of good moisture in there.

Wow Maynard, I think over all that is good news, but i do wonder about it? Stay safe. I guess when it 's "home" you just have to keep on keeping on. Sure seems like you gotta be tough and just hunker down and wait. Sure hope you folks catch a blessing somewhere out of what you're going through!

My brother in law estimated 18 inched in Rooks County and still snowing. I have never seen people so happy for a blizzard (even ranchers who are calving).

South of Dodge looks to be getting it??? I need another Pic Maynard!!!!LOL!

Wow Maynard, I think over all that is good news, but i do wonder about it? Stay safe. I guess when it 's "home" you just have to keep on keeping on. Sure seems like you gotta be tough and just hunker down and wait. Sure hope you folks catch a blessing somewhere out of what you're going through!

There is an old story about a group of towns people who got together during a severe drought. They had all met at the local church and were just setting down to pray for rain. About that time in walks a little girl carrying an umbrella .

South of Dodge looks to be getting it??? I need another Pic Maynard!!!!LOL!

The ranch only received about nine inches in the first snow, where Dodge was closer to fifteen. Unusual southeast winds with first storm.

This storm that is on us today doesn't seem to have as much snow, but the north winds are 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph. Heard of a gust in Amarillo of 75 mph.

Don't have many pics to share, but here is one of the roads on Saturday.

6d8577a0-07eb-4e1f-8f1f-1e05632dbf4a_zpsc54452cc.jpg

The ranch only received about nine inches in the first snow, where Dodge was closer to fifteen. Unusual southeast winds with first storm.

This storm that is on us today doesn't seem to have as much snow, but the north winds are 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph. Heard of a gust in Amarillo of 75 mph.

Don't have many pics to share, but here is one of the roads on Saturday.

6d8577a0-07eb-4e1f-8f1f-1e05632dbf4a_zpsc54452cc.jpg

Maynard, I was thinking of you last night when the weather man was showing the BLIZZ. Looked like the epicenter was right of Dodge. Is it a drought buster or a bird buster or both?

I can't see where this is bird friendly.
Going to help with the drought though.:confused:

Will not in itself be a drought buster, but it could be the start of a turn around, I hope. Moisture will be good for wheat, pastures and shelterbelts. I am thankful for that.

I did see two roosters and two hens hanging out around a plum thicket on Saturday. So some survivors of the first blow. This second blow is less snow, but lots more wind.

"2" of snow"! Is that all for a month? Wow! I wish we could send ya some. I need to get my garden ploughed and it is way too wet! Need to have potatoes and cabbage planted yesterday. I do hope your drought is busted and you will get good moisture for this year. I hope to have enough years left to see a good comeback on the birds and other critters as well as you folks trying to make a living farmin'.

We had a beautiful rain(0.80") on Saturday, 4-27-13. Still a long ways to go.

Lots of freeze damage to winter wheat and more below freezing temps coming. Highs in the 90's today, but that will be it for high temps this week.

Back