Best Upland Boots

I am torn between the Orvis kangaroo and the Russells, every gortex boot i have had has leaked after 1 season, even the 3 pairs of Danner stichdown boots i have ( Canaidians, and 2 pairs of Acaidias).

I can't find a better boot for wet/cold conditions where stability, comfort, and support are concerned than Schnee's. Most pack boots allow your foot to slosh around but that's definitley not the case with Schnee's. Their bottom is very well engineered. I am content hiking miles of rough mountain terrain in them. They're relatively light and very comfortable. If it's warm and dry out I wear a different boot but anything short of rubber just can't offer true waterproofness for extended periods of use over years of abuse. They really are that good.

I have worn Russell boots for years, average lifespan of about 5 years. I use the Cavalier style pull ons, triple vamp, and I alternate pairs. I do not hunt standing water regularly, I think Moellermd hunts a lot of wet spots, cattails, waterways, etc. I would not want to rely on the triple vamp to save you in a more or less constantly wet enviornment. Mine get wet, and also are hell to dry! I suppose if a guy constantly treated them with mink oil, or silicone it might work OK. The true beauty of the Russell's is in fit and weight, Like wearing house shoes even after walking miles, I just keep wearing them around home or the camp. In the wet, I'd spend my 400 bucks on Le Chameux Wellies, the leather lined version. Had a pair years ago, comfortable and dry, no sweating like regular rubber boots, wear like iron, lasted 7 years of hunting seasons and around the farm and barn, where ever wet. I think Danner makes good boots to!

first and foremost, leather is not waterproof it is water resistant :confused:; the "products" you apply to the leather is what helps to make it more water resistant, choose the best quality "application" you can afford, but make absolutely certain you don't get one that is petroleum based, you'll destroy the leather in the boots

secondly, the moisture "felt" in most boots is a result of sweat build up (unless your walking knee deep in water with 8" boots ;)) - choose your socks wisely, remember when you treat your boots to seal out moisture you are also sealing it in

thirdly, your footwear is like any other "tool" you take to the field, if you don't take care of them, they won't last - I don't understand why a person would spend $100 - $??? on a pair of boots and not spend the 15 minutes and $8/can to take care of them

a good tip for drying boots, stuff them with newspaper :thumbsup:

My boots
15 yr old Chippewas more miles than I've keep track off - just "retired" this year because my pup ate the tongue out of one
13 yr old Scarpas +/- 1500 miles and still going strong
8 yr old Irish Setters +/- 1000 miles and still in one piece (the toe has separated, but still keeps the water out)
3 yr old Red Wings wear everyday for work and look as good today as when I purchased them

it doesn't matter the brand, find the boot that fits perfectly and take care of them

My new pair
I chose the Russell 40 boots for my latest set, they said it be 12-16 weeks before I received them, it was 12. They are beautifully made and really comfortable, BUT you better be wearing socks that "breathe" or you'll build up a whole lot of moisture inside - just like any well made leather boot

GORE-TEX® will stand behind their products, you just have to follow the basics when caring for any product that has it.

From the GORE-TEX® website

Footwear feels like it is leaking.

Are your feet feeling clammy? First check this list to see if you are doing everything you can to help it keep your feet dry and comfortable in your GORE-TEX® footwear:

Are you wearing the right socks?

Cotton and wool socks might seem like natural choices, but they could be the reason why your feet are feeling clammy and uncomfortable. These ultra-absorbent natural fibers can retain your sweat until your socks are completely damp. Perspiration never has a chance to evaporate away. Stick to synthetic fabric socks and the new technical wool blends, which are designed to wick moisture away from the feet, where it can then pass out as vapor through the footwear.

Does your footwear have the appropriate level of insulation?

Overly insulated boots can make your feet so clammy and sweaty that it feels like your footwear is leaking, even though it's not. Check with a specialty footwear retailer to see what level of insulation is recommended for the temperatures you'll be facing and your planned activity level. That goes for your socks, too - make sure they aren't causing your feet to overheat.

Could water be getting in via the top of your boots or shoes?

Water-splashed socks or damp tucked-in pants can wick moisture down into your footwear without you even realizing it. All of a sudden your feet feel clammy and uncomfortable. If you're going to be out in the rain or splashing through streams, a pair of gaiters can help keep water out of your footwear.

Are you taking care of your footwear?

A little maintenance goes a long way in protecting the waterproof GORE-TEX® membrane inside your footwear. Shake out any loose dirt or gravel from inside before they have a chance to abrade the lining. Be careful around barbed wire, fishhooks, nails, and anything else that might puncture your footwear. And guys: keep those toenails clipped so they don't abrade the inner lining.

I've tried all the above and I'm still having a problem with my footwear.

If your problem has not been addressed above, or if you've tried these steps and still believe your footwear may be leaking, call us toll-free at 1 800 431-GORE (4673) or send us an e-mail to discuss your situation and, if necessary, receive a return authorization number.

Last edited:
I can't find a better boot for wet/cold conditions where stability, comfort, and support are concerned than Schnee's. Most pack boots allow your foot to slosh around but that's definitley not the case with Schnee's. Their bottom is very well engineered. I am content hiking miles of rough mountain terrain in them. They're relatively light and very comfortable. If it's warm and dry out I wear a different boot but anything short of rubber just can't offer true waterproofness for extended periods of use over years of abuse. They really are that good.

Which model of Schnee's? I've always had my eye on their upland boot, but as I stated in my previous post, I could never bring myself to spend $250 for a pair of boots. I certainly don't doubt they are well made though.

I've got a pair of their Hunter II's that I've had rebuilt once (new bottoms). I'm sure that their upland boot is great but I've already got a pair of White's that I use for dry conditions. For wet weather, you need a pack boot if you want guaranteed comfort. Sure, your foot might sweat a little bit more than in a Gore-Tex boot if it's warmer out but it's pretty negligible in my opinion. I think that you'll find what you get what you pay for.

secondly, the moisture "felt" in most boots is a result of sweat build up (unless your walking knee deep in water with 8" boots ;)) - choose your socks wisely, remember when you treat your boots to seal out moisture you are also sealing it in
[/I]

I think you are correct with that assessment. I have had several pairs of boots that I thought were "leaking" so I submerged them in water and low and behold not leaking.

I bought Cabela's kangaroo leather light upland boots. They are apparently built on lasts based on strange people's feet because I bought the widest boot I could get and the toes pinch my feet and wear blisters no matter what I try and the heels are so loose they do the same thing even with pads put into them to take up the extra space. Don't buy them unless you try them on first to be sure they fit like you want. The leather doesn't seem to be tougher than steer either with mine starting to wear the toes out from dry grass and weeds.

I am torn between the Orvis kangaroo and the Russells, every gortex boot i have had has leaked after 1 season, even the 3 pairs of Danner stichdown boots i have ( Canaidians, and 2 pairs of Acaidias).

Hey EEK,

If a Gore-Tex boot leaks before the boot itself is completely shot, send it to Gore and they will replace it. I have done it 3 times. See post #4 on this thread I started back in October.

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5244&highlight=gore-tex

My first pair of Danner Pronghorns did real well, but my last two pairs have not lasted one season. They started leaking and I took them back to Cabela's and got replacements. We will see how this 4th pair does

I bought some Kenetrek boots, goretex, no insulation, they are the most comfortable, suportave boots i have ever worn, cant wait to ue them hard this hunting season.

Dunno about "best," but after my Irish Setters of many years starting talking surrender, I shopped around with my best "google-fu" for a decent boot in my price range.

These served well last year. They are good, maybe VERY good (time will tell), and shipping is free. For the price, I could replace them every few years.

http://www.bootbay.com/816-Irish-Setter-Mens-Hunting-Boots/PAAAAACJONKCKGIP/Product

I really tried to find American made boots, but no joy anywhere near my price range. :(

Last edited:
I got a pair of Russell's several months ago after taking a trip to the factory and having the owner Lefty measure my feet.

I got a variation of this (speedlaces, toe cap, etc) http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_birdshooters/bs_sigsouth40_mal.html
I did not do the "minimalist" design however. I tried those on and they felt sort of like sandals. Walking on some frozen disked up field in those scared the beejeezus out of me so I opted for the traditional soles with more support.

I like them. Very comfortable right out of the box. Wore them right away after a heavy rain on a 4.5hr hike that is just like where I would hunt. Not a drop of water got in other than some wicking down my socks. I wore jeans for some stupid reason and was soaked from the thighs down.

Boots seem roomier than any I have had but my feet don't shift or slide in them. No blisters, no tight spots, no aches and no pains. Plenty of support and cushioning. They are sort of a weird color brown but I suspect over time that will change some and darken.

I do still have a couple of other boots I like a lot. Rocky Outbacks have been my go to warmer weather boots for years, and I have had this pair for probably close to 20yrs now. They are almost completely falling apart, the soles are thin but they are still waterproof, still comfortable and still functional.

Also have a pair of Winchester moc toe boots I think I bought on sale from Sierra Trading 6 or 7 years ago. Those are very good too. Not the kangaroos.

After trying all sorts of bird hunting boots over the past 30+ years I have specific design criteria - got to be Moc Toe, got to be 7-9 inches high. Got to be relatively light and have a sole with a little give.

After trying all sorts of bird hunting boots over the past 30+ years I have specific design criteria - got to be Moc Toe, got to be 7-9 inches high. Got to be relatively light and have a sole with a little give.

What's the benefits of the Moc Toe?

Back