Best Upland Boots

Best boots...

Years ago I decided to switch from hunting boots to hiking-style boots. They are lighter and seem to fit better. I like the low profile and wear low gaiters to keep the seeds out.

Best fit: Vasque from REI.

Mine are 9 inches also. No, I have never had them resoled. Not sure if they can be, but I wouldn't mind a sole with a little more traction. If you find they are resolable let me know.

Sometimes these boots bother my feet, as do most boots, (my feet have gotten hard to please in my old age) but the darn things wear like iron. Clean them up, and put some Obenaufs on the leather, and they look really good.

Don't quote me on this, but I think most if not all Red wing's and Irish Setter's in particular can be resoled. I have a Red wing dealer fairly close to me, I'll have to stop in and ask.

I just bought some Obenauf's LP and a bottle of their water shield. That stuff looks like it will really do the job. :10sign:

Rocky AZTEC's

I been using the Rocky Aztec's snake boots this season and I love them I really don't feel the weight on them when I have the peace of mind hunting in the warm weather of the California desert that rattlers love + when i gotta get in some bush for some feathers to fly weather its Pheasant,Quail or Chukar its all good :D:D!

Just saw these are was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/13580?feat=506794-GN2

Yes, I really like them. The leather is thin so they wear out along the sides, plus the toe cap wears, but for 140 bucks they are good. Their customer service is outstanding. I sent in an old pair, very wore out with a letter to the R&D department. I did not expect anything in return as I was completely happy with how they preformed. They sent me a new pair even though I did not ask. Really cool.

Also have a pair of Browning’s, toe cap is killer, but the wear along the sides is the same as the LLBean's. Maybe get a little longer life out of them, but for twice as much cash. I think the Bean's are more comfortable as well.

How aggresive is the tread? My Brownings were not very good in the snow, they had no bite.

Yes, I really like them. The leather is thin so they wear out along the sides, plus the toe cap wears, but for 140 bucks they are good. Their customer service is outstanding. I sent in an old pair, very wore out with a letter to the R&D department. I did not expect anything in return as I was completely happy with how they preformed. They sent me a new pair even though I did not ask. Really cool.

Also have a pair of Browning’s, toe cap is killer, but the wear along the sides is the same as the LLBean's. Maybe get a little longer life out of them, but for twice as much cash. I think the Bean's are more comfortable as well.

Try using Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative on them and see if that helps with the wear on the sides and toe.
http://www.obenaufs.com/lp.php

Alot of boots designed for upland hunting do not have an aggressive sole design. I think the theory behind it is that they want a sole that will NOT pick up and hold alot of mud. For that it works fine, but in snow it leaves alot to be desired.

Has anyone used one of those cleat thingamabobs that you strap over the bottom of your boot?

Wonder how this would work on a hunting boot for use in snow? :http://www.yaktrax.com/xtr

Alot of boots designed for upland hunting do not have an aggressive sole design. I think the theory behind it is that they want a sole that will NOT pick up and hold alot of mud. For that it works fine, but in snow it leaves alot to be desired.

Has anyone used one of those cleat thingamabobs that you strap over the bottom of your boot?

Wonder how this would work on a hunting boot for use in snow? :http://www.yaktrax.com/xtr

I have used a similar product and they don't work that bad if you have harder packed snow/ice. Work better than nothing in fluffy snow.

Got my Orvis Wetlands today. My initial thought is that they should work. I wish they had a more aggressive sole. We will see how they wear. The Orvis guarantee is that you can return them at any time for any reason. So if they done hold up like I think they should back they will go.

whooo.. those are some spendy boots you bought. Orvis as does Cabela's have a first rate return policy.

I use to drool over these made by Schnees, but I could never bring myself to spend that much. http://www.schnees.com/product/2110/upland-hunting

You ain't a kid-in they are spendy. More than I wanted to spend but I was going through $150-200 boots in one year. I figure this way if they are as crappy as the others at least I can return them.

I looked at custom made boots and would buy them in a heart beat but I can't find any with a decent guarantee and that have gore tex.

Moe, I ordered a pair of Russell mocassin boots. They should be here sometime next month. I don't think a well oiled pair of triple vamped mocassins need gortex to be waterproof. Plus all the boots I've owned with gortex still leaked like a siv.:D I'll let you all know if they were worth it when I get them and put them through the paces.:thumbsup:

Have worn the new Danner Pronghorns several times now, including this past weekend. I don't think they're as comfortable as my first pair, but they certainly are going to be ok. Hunted all afternoon Sunday in the rain and tall grass, feet stayed dry. The key feature for me is the bone spur on my heel was not aggravated.

Sent a pair of Irish Setter Wingshooter 889's back a month ago due to the toe coming un-stitched in just about 10 hours of hunting (same story for my dad with the same boot by the way). Called and asked what they were going to do, they said they were sending me a new pair of Wingshooter 851's. Hopefully they last better than the 889's.

When these two wear out, I am looking heavily at getting a pair of the Russell's.

Moe, I ordered a pair of Russell mocassin boots. They should be here sometime next month. I don't think a well oiled pair of triple vamped mocassins need gortex to be waterproof. Plus all the boots I've owned with gortex still leaked like a siv.:D I'll let you all know if they were worth it when I get them and put them through the paces.:thumbsup:

QH, I just went to there web site and those are very nice boots!

Which one did you order...Im thinking of getting a pair.

Yes, every gor-tex or (leak-tex) boot I've owned leaked as well.:(

I have never had my gortex leak it is always the boot that falls apart. I am interested to hear how the Russel's work for you. I have not had good luck keeping leather boots waterproof but I have also never had a pair of Russel's.

I have never had my gortex leak it is always the boot that falls apart. I am interested to hear how the Russel's work for you. I have not had good luck keeping leather boots waterproof but I have also never had a pair of Russel's.

I'll keep you updated on the quality and performance when I get them. The ones I ordered are double vamped (two continuous layers all the way around your foot) and keeping them well oiled with obanhauffes should keep them water tight.

Back