Best Upland Boots

I actually just found a new pair of redhead brand on sale for $99. Fairly waterproof and have held up well the 3 times I've actually pushed them in some areas that have torn previous boots.

I'm using L.L. Bean women's Kangaroo Leather Upland Boots. Light and comfortable without being broken in. I've put some serious miles on them. They're available in men's, too, for a decent price.

I am getting ready to order a set of Russell mocasins back 40 boots. They may be expensive but with my track record of wearing out a 100 dollar pair of boots in a season if I get 4 seasons out of them I'll be even and anything beyond that I'll be making money.:D

Except for the Irish Setter 889 Wingshooter DSS Classic that dad and I bought. He has 2 days of hard hunting in his. I have 8 hours of hunting in mine. Both of them the thread that stitches the top of the toe to the front of the toe is worn off and the two pieces of leather is coming apart. Terrible design.

Need to call Cabelas and see if they'll warranty them for something else.

I am getting ready to order a set of Russell mocasins back 40 boots. They may be expensive but with my track record of wearing out a 100 dollar pair of boots in a season if I get 4 seasons out of them I'll be even and anything beyond that I'll be making money.:D

Thats good math at work there, seriously.

I've heard good things about the Russell's. I am very tempted myself.

Cheesy,
If Cabela's don't help, contact Red Wing shoes direct (redwingshoes.com). I don't work for them, by the way, but am a satisfied customer over the years. I do know they have a good warranty you can check out on the website and they are very helpful.

Thanks, hadn't really thought about taking it up with Red Wing. They're all I wear at work for the last 5 years or so, have a pair on right now actually and am extremely pleased with them.

Except for the Irish Setter 889 Wingshooter DSS Classic that dad and I bought. He has 2 days of hard hunting in his. I have 8 hours of hunting in mine. Both of them the thread that stitches the top of the toe to the front of the toe is worn off and the two pieces of leather is coming apart. Terrible design.

Need to call Cabelas and see if they'll warranty them for something else.

That's probably why Cabelas is closing them out at $59.99.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Foot...=SBC;MMcat104797980;cat104826780;cat105543180
I was considering oredering a pair but I was concerned about the very construction you are having a problem with. The leather on top of the toe looks like it would catch everything and be subject to tear back. I agree, looks like a poor design.

quail hound
I used the same logic and purchased a pair of the 40s, received mine back in October, actually went to Berlin, WI (was in WI for a family vacation so had to stop) to have my feet measured and meet the folks that make the boots, what a great group of people

I am tough on boots, specifically toes I should have opted for the toe caps, just a thought

what a great pair of American made boots :thumbsup:

I have had a pair of Irish Setter Ground Sensing for almost 5 years, soft soles (super quiet for spot & stalk elk hunting), limited ankle support, virtually indestructible but I managed to destroy the toes

quail hound
I used the same logic and purchased a pair of the 40s, received mine back in October, actually went to Berlin, WI (was in WI for a family vacation so had to stop) to have my feet measured and meet the folks that make the boots, what a great group of people

I am tough on boots, specifically toes I should have opted for the toe caps, just a thought

what a great pair of American made boots :thumbsup:

I have had a pair of Irish Setter Ground Sensing for almost 5 years, soft soles (super quiet for spot & stalk elk hunting), limited ankle support, virtually indestructible but I managed to destroy the toes

Great to hear a first hand review of the Russells. I think I will opt for the toe cap as recomended. Thank you.

I was considering oredering a pair but I was concerned about the very construction you are having a problem with. The leather on top of the toe looks like it would catch everything and be subject to tear back. I agree, looks like a poor design.

Yea me too the search goes on. I can see what you mean about the flap. I think I might try the Bob Timberlakes in 9". For $50 I can always wear them on the farm.

Last edited:
Anybody try the Bob Timberlake Uplander from Bass Pros? In looking at them they are obviously made by Irish Setter as the sole is identical to what's on teh Upland DSS. I ordered a pair in the 7" as they were out of my size in the 9". I figured for $59.77 plus shipping I had to give them a try.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...500000000_500003000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Got them today and didn't like the fit. Not a bad boot for $59 but not the ones for me. They do seem to run wide. I normally order a EE but in these boots I probably could have gotten by with a D.

Here is a pair of uninsulated Irish Setter Upland boots that I've had for probably over 10 years. They have the green cordura on the sides. I don't wear them as much as I use to but they are my "go to" boots when the others fail. These boots have been through a lot and are still in excellent shape and waterproof (to a degree). I think these boots are virtually indestructible. They are fairly comfortable (I added a better insole for support) and a tab heavy, but I think they will last forever. I just cleaned them up and ordered some new laces.

IrishSetterBoots.jpg
[/IMG]

Today was the maiden voyage for my new pair of Pronghorn's. Wore them most of the morning while calling coyotes. Not as comfortable as the originals, the insole felt kind of hard, will remedy that with a new one. What matters to me is that the bone spur on my heel was not aggravated. Looks like I've found a winner for now.

Today was the maiden voyage for my new pair of Pronghorn's. Wore them most of the morning while calling coyotes. Not as comfortable as the originals, the insole felt kind of hard, will remedy that with a new one. What matters to me is that the bone spur on my heel was not aggravated. Looks like I've found a winner for now.

Your new Pronghorns should have come with Danner's Fatique Fighter footbed. I actually ordered a set of these footbeds (insoles) for my old style Danners and I really like them. Both more cushion and arch support.

Zeb,

I have what looks like the same Irish Setters only in a 9 inch version. 4 years old.

Have you ever resoled them and if you have what did they charge?

Zeb,

I have what looks like the same Irish Setters only in a 9 inch version. 4 years old.

Have you ever resoled them and if you have what did they charge?

Mine are 9 inches also. No, I have never had them resoled. Not sure if they can be, but I wouldn't mind a sole with a little more traction. If you find they are resolable let me know.

Sometimes these boots bother my feet, as do most boots, (my feet have gotten hard to please in my old age) but the darn things wear like iron. Clean them up, and put some Obenaufs on the leather, and they look really good.

Back