Best Upland Boots

I'm retiring my Danner Pronghorns after 5 seasons. Most comfortable boots I've ever had on my feet. The seams did pull out of the leather around the toes though, which they have now changed to a reinforced design.

Yesterday I wore a new pair of Irish Setter Uplander's for their first hunt. They were comfortable enough, hoping they can conform to my funky heel that usually caused me to give away 1/2 the boots I buy.

I really like my Danner Gtx Covey rise boots, They are the most comfortable boots I've owned. My only complaint is about the gortex on them leaks a little but im not the best about caring for boots as they should..

I swear by the Irish Setters so Cheesy: if they don't work and are 11.5, send them my way...:D

JMc-

Irish Setter, 889 Wingshooter DSS Classic, size 11.5 to be exact.

Don't be surprised if you get a PM in a couple months asking for some money to cover shipping.

Irish Setter trail phantoms... Worked great last year for me and still have plenty left in 'em. You can usually find them for under $90, which isn't a bad price for comfort.

Wow, how lucky was that; I'll be waiting...:thumbsup:

Meindl perfek 10 by Cabelas...a little pricey but worth every penny. I bought a pair for my son and tried them. Felt some comfortable had to get a pair for myself.

Cabelas Brittanies - Discontinued

I tell ya, I have tried a # of different boots over the last 10 years, with mixed results.

The best I found are sadly discontinued. Cabelas had a lightweight pair of upland boots made of good, tough leather and cordura style cloth called Britannies that were relatively cheap, wore like iron and perform admirably for me. I wanted to buy a 2nd pair this summer, only to find they were discontinued. I think I paid less than $100 for my pair when I bought them a couple of years ago.

Had bad luck with LL Bean's lightweight boots-they wore out in about a month. They did make good on their guarantee, they were replaced, even so far with a better pair, their top of the line Bison leather boots, but those also wore quickly. I have to think they may have had problems with their leather supplier in China since the stuff just wore way, way, too fast in both cases.

Also was not happy with the Cabelas Kangaroo boots, those wore out for me in 1 season.

So far, the Cabelas Brittany has been the best for me and it was the cheapest of the lot. Wears tough and is comfortable.

I bought a pair of Irish Setter DSS lightweight upland boots in September from Cabelas. They had them at a great price and I wanted a back-up pair of boots-seemed like the closest thing to my Brittanies. So far so good, very comfortable-but ask me again at the end of the season.

I should have bought another pair of those Brittanies while I still could and locked them away. :D

I guess my vote is for the Brittanies-if you find them in a bargain cave in your size, pounce on em'.

Regards,

Joe

Browning Kangaroo's, un-insulated. These have a shark skin toe cap and overall they have been great. Most likely will wear the tread out before the leather.

LLBean Kangaroo, un-insulated. The most comfortable, however the leather wears very quickly. I have bought two pairs. Once the first pair wore out completely, I sent them back with a list of improvements. They sent a new pair back, even though I did not ask for them as I don't expect anyone to replace a pair of boots with that many miles on them.

Cabala’s Kangaroo, un-insulated. Shark skin toe cap keeps boots from wearing down; however their fit has been an issue.

Just a side note, I spent some huge bucks for a pair of Cabala’s Meindl Big Game boots. They kept my feet warm and had great traction, but they squeaked when walked. Then one season I pulled them from the closet and the soles had completely broken up and fallen off, slightly greasy residue on the rubber as well. These had been stored inside the house in a conditioned closet.

This is the 3rd season I've hunted in LaCrosse Quads -- all leather, good ankle support, lightweight, warm and dry.

I got a pair of Irish Setter Tamaracks about a month ago. So far they have been great boots. Very comfortable, and fairly light. I also like the overlapping leather system at the bottom of the laces. Last week I stuck some cactus thorns through the side of the boot into the arch of my foot (hurt about as bad as it sounds), and I thought maybe they'd lose their water-proofness. But, I oiled them up well and I wore them this morning for about 45 minutes in HEAVY dew, and my feet were still bone dry.

Best part about the boots? I found them in Cabela's online bargin cave for $79.99. They only had size 10 available, which happens to be my size:thumbsup:

The Cabela's Outfitter boots have held up to the test of time for me. I think I've had them for 8 or so years now. I do all of my hunting with them, both elk and pheasant, and I've put the miles on them. Only last winter did they start leaking, and they only leak if in really we conditions. I want to get a new pair, but can't decide on the amount of thinsulate. I think 600 grams would be about perfect, but they only come in a 12" boot. Not sure I want a 12" boot. I have the 9" 200 gram boots and my feet do get a little cold on occassion, but overall, they've been amazing.

I've worn the Cabelas Outfitter boots for a long time. I think I bought this last pair in 1995. I don't wear them all of the time because of what they weigh but they have been durable and only started leaking this year.
I've had Danner as well, but since they started making them in China I don't think they are as good. The last pair I bought at the beginning of last season and they were leaking by the end of the bird season.
I usually hunt 45+ days a year but really, leaking after 45 days?????:mad:
I tried to buy the Cabelas Outfitter boots last night at the "exclusive" VIP party in the LaVista store last night but they were out of my size. Now I see they don't have 13's available on the web.:confused:
I've tried other cheap boots but can't seem to find one that will last more than a couple of years and not leak!
I'm lucky my wife likes to hunt and indulges me in buying equipment for my hobby!:):):)

Back