What did you learn this year??

airmedic1

I would say this was my most successful year of hunting for quite a few years and I learned a bunch of things. Some I knew and forgot others I just learned this year.
1. I really like to hunt by myself, just me and my girls. I get up when I want, hunt where I want, hunt as long as I want and don't have to worry if someone else is having a good time.
2. Walk slowly and cover the ground thoroughly. I have walked past a lot of birds over the years by going too fast.
3. Be quiet. I bought an Astro this year so I took my locator beeper off the collar and quit using the whistle. I could find the girls with the Astro and rarely even spoke to them in field. This kept noise to a minimum and added significantly to my game bag.
4. Take the extra time and initiative to hunt the whole field and hunt small patches. I had some of my best luck in small fields and areas that I don’t think anyone else bothered to hunt.
What did the rest of you learn or re-learn this year??

I learned that a rooster born a few scant months earlier was still in many cases more than a match for me and the dogs, again!

Always trust the dog, I don't know why I have to re learn this every year.

Always trust the dog, I don't know why I have to re learn this every year.

YEP! I get reminded of this early nearly every year. It only takes a few false points or a couple unjustified stops for me to drop my guard. Whatever!

I hear ya on hunting alone. As much as I love making new friends, hunting w/ new dogs, etc. there is a certain amount of pressure I feel when I've invited people along. It makes me feel terrible when I can't put them on a reasonable # of birds. I don't go hunting to experience pressure/stress. For whatever reason, I didn't do a single solo hunt this past season. Gotta get back to that next season.....at least for a few trips.

Oh, last but not least I learned that a lot of folks are really starting to like the state I've enjoyed so much in my life. I sure hope the state made enough $ this year to lease more public access to accommodate our new found popularity, but I'm not holding my breath:rolleyes:

I learned to think out of the box and implement attacks and tactics that those wily Roosters do not normally see!!!!

I learned that the smile on my son's face after bagging a rooster makes any trip worthwhile no matter what else does or doesn't happen.

I think I have retention issues! I always have to relearn lessons from the past. Complacent I guess. KBrit, the new governor has expanding WIHA as a priority. So much so that my section lost all of it's capital improvement money to that end. Add to the a federal grant of an appreciable amount and we could likely see more acres in the book this coming season. It does take willing renters. I'm looking forward to it. I have 3 pups out here now (and more on the way) that might just help me cover all that added ground:) Gotta get my old carcass in shape early! Hooray for Nick and his son, they've found the Holy Grail! Keep him in the birds!!!

Last edited:
I learned to never have your first child during the middle of the bird season. I won't be repeating that this year. :)

I don't know for sure, but I'll let you know after next season if marking off dates on the calendar 9 months in advance will make the wife more happy when I leave for the weekend.....

I learned that your dogs can teach you almost as much as you teach them, if you are attentive and watch for cues in the field. I also learned that aging, veteran shorthairs can become somewhat stubborn at times if you don't hunt the way they think is best... :D

The most important lesson of the year? Snow drifts are usually deeper than they appear. I'm glad I took a shovel on that trip! :thumbsup:

I learned that if you hunt in the middle of Dec. on Walk In Areas in Kansas don't drive a red truck with an orange hat on the dash-board, the Pheasant can see come from a mile away. :eek:

Last edited:
1. How much difference weather (and snow) can make to success.
2. Hunt the areas near milo.
3. If you want to maximize the bag, hunt the heavy CRP. If you want to maximize enjoyment, hunt the edges and anywhere but heavy CRP.
4. When the dog points, try to work well downwind, then back to the dog. Go ALL THE WAY to the dog. Do not stop 3 feet from the dog and turn back downwind. Ask me how I relearned this again this year. Three times.

I learned that my best hunting buddy is actually my dog.
My wife makes a pretty good flusher and navigator.
Dogs hate boots until they figure out they don't need to avoid ditches.
The best days are about being in the field with my buddy (see number one).

i learned that if there is a blizzard warning for northern nebraska, don't try to drive through it to get to South Dakota in mid December. Cost me a lot of stress, a night in a crappy motel, and a mirror from getting side swiped by a semi in near whiteout conditions on an overpass in Nebraska.

1. When my dogs tail starts going 90mph and she pickes up the pase to keep up! When you have as bad of shooting moments as i do 10yrds can make all the difference.

2. Watch for badger holes when trying to keep up with your dog.

3. You can shoot a 5 man limit in Minnesota on Public land by noon!

Cant wait to learn some more next year.:cheers:

1. I learned that even though the edges to middle parts of a small slough may have 6 inches of ice, that doesn't mean your not going to fall through, I guess cattails retain heat really well!....Damn that citori was angry at me after that, weird how that happens.

2. No matter how smart I think I am or the group I am with, it always seems that the birds are smarter no matter the situation!!!

3. Never take a day in the field with your dog for granted because it may be the last time you get to hunt with them, took my dads 10yr old out opening wknd in MN and she tore her acl and is now retired!

4. No matter how in shape I think I am, my dog can go at a slow jog and still out run me by a football field chasing a rooster in a ditch!

5. That even though some guys I hunt wiith may hate it, I love hunting in bad weather, Rain/snow/sleet/high winds....Makes for a enjoyable evening when you know you toughed it out and came home with a limit in those conditions!

Looking forward to learning more next year!!!:thumbsup:

I learned:

I hate hunting in high winds (which is all to common in KS)

I enjoy hunting alone with my dog. We dont have to wait for anyone else and can do what we want.

Snow and sub-artic temperatures are my favorite.

Meet as many people that hunt as possible. I met one guy, randomly, that put me on a ton of birds.

And I want another dog. One is good but I think 2 would be better

I learned that if my dog points a "dead" bird instead of just picking it up and retrieving it, I should make sure my gun is loaded.... Obviously she knew what she was doing since my "dead" bird flew away.:rolleyes:

Back