Watering your dog in the field?

I teach my dogs to drink from "pop top" bottles and they waste very little when they are thirsty. The only problem I have is when they are really thirsty they will push the dang end closed.

More importantly how many of you drink from the same bottle as your pooch?

I follow the lap.

Spout tops for water bottles vary...there is a bottled water company in WI...Nicolet perhaps?, that uses a twist-to-open rather than a pull-to-open spout that prevents the licking shut.
Once I find a good top, I keep it and fit & try on other bottles....not all tops fit all bottles though.
Several then find their home in the bottom of the dog box on general principles and future needs.
Discovering a good bottle or top that fits both the hand and the need comes close to the pleasure in finding a good bell.
fwiw

More importantly how many of you drink from the same bottle as your pooch?

Guilty.:eek:

I carry 3 or 4 16oz bottles for the dogs and anyone that comes with me is required to carry an additional 2 bottles for the pups (hey, they're thirsty:cheers:).

I have two bright orange camelbacks, one I wear as I hunt for me and the dogs. I of course drink out of the hose, for the dogs I carry a fold up bowl and I fill it up by squeezing the mouth piece so that the water runs into the bowl. When I get back to the truck I grab the other camelback. I have a 3 gallon water container in the truck to fill them back up if I need to and I always wet the dogs nose down, seems to help them smell.
I have heard stories of the ole guys in the great days of hunting pushing their dogs nose under the water for a few seconds and they would come up snarting from their noses. They said it cleared up their noses so they could smell, got all of the weeds and shi% out of their noses so that they could hunt better.
Just saying :)

and that is why i don't like him drinking from the bottle. seems to take in a lot of air.

i read somewhere that when out in the field working the dog, it is best to not let them drink too much anyway. that just wetting the inside of their mouth is enough until you get back to the truck. i will see if I can find that article.

Absolutely true. allowed to drink too much while running and they will bloat right up. I've made the mistake before and prefer not to ever have it happen again. Save the larger drinks when you take a long break or finished for the day.

My GSP likes her beer hot being german. She also carries a flask of hot damn schnops on her at all times. Keeps her loose and calm. Don't start your dogs drinking the hard stuff too early in the day. Beer before liquor and all that.:)

I have a Quilomene vest, with the 120 oz hydration bag, I can squeeze the mouthpiece and rinse their noses and let them have a quick drink.

In the field I carry a portable waterer I got at Bomgaars (sort of a big hardware store here). Plastic bottle with a squeeze nozzle, that clips into a plastic tray for drinking, with a clip to hang it from your belt.

Back at the truck is a Mud River collapsible bowl, with a couple gallon jugs of water.

I also have the wing works vest. When the dogs are thirst they come to me. I do controll the amount they get. I would rather give them several smaller amounts during the hunt rather than one big gut filling drink. I to wet the nose at each stop.

During summer months I carry 2 six gallon jugs of water. Its amazing how warm the water gets after I rinse off the dogs. Almost scary. They hate the bath/hose at home, but don't mind the rinse in the field. During the first 30-40 minutes I have to force feed the female water. She thinks she may miss a bird or something. I thought about using a syringe the vet gave me to force some water into her. gonna have to check on the collapseable bowls.

david0311

Just received two I ordered from Cabelas---(Renegade in orange) clip to hang on belt after rolling up---12.99---have had other collapsible over the years --this one appears to be better quality --time will tell after use --will try out while training later today---

Here's a tip I picked up at a recent NSTRA field trial to get your dog to drink more water and hydrate them. Add just a little milk to the water. I'm not sure of the amount but just enough to get them to drink.

My guy doesn't like to drink when in the field. Was never an issue when we were just going for a walk/run or throwing the dummy, but when we are hunting he wants nothing to do with water? Haven't worked him all that hard yet, but it is something I may have to work on. He loves ice cubes, so maybe that will be an option.

My dogs are the same way. Last two weeks I started a new command. "Get a drink" Working pretty well. I don't release them until they get a drink. I ran them about 1 1/2 hours earlier today than normal and could tell the difference. We ran from about 5:00pm to 6:30, usually we go 6 to dark. The syringe has been working on the female too. Shes slowly coming around. My female wouldn't eat training treats i9n the field either.

I use a Camel Back Mountain Bike back pack: 100 oz of cold water, stash spot for the light granite gear collapsible dog bowel, first aid kit, cell phone, etc. Better balance w/ the water on my back then sloshing around in the pockets of my hunting coat! and yes.... Obie and I do share the same water, just hold the hose up higher so he can't lick the regulator ;-)

Back