Watering your dog in the field?

HolyMoses

How do you guys keep your dogs hydrated in the field?

just wondering if most just let the dog drink from a bottle? was looking around and saw some contraptions that go on the end of a bottle that look interesting.

My dogs drink straight from the bottle. I walk with a couple 20oz bottles and refill them at the truck after each walk. My dogs gulp alot of air and end up coughing, but they come right back for more. I also have a bowl in my truck which I fill at each rest and I let the dogs drink their fill.

I actually just purchased a roll up bowl with a snap that You can clip on a belt loop. My dog isn't the best at drinking out of a bottle and I didn't want to waste any water so I figured for $12 it was a decent investment.

dog water

I carry several plastic water bottles and have "The Drinking Spot" at the vehichle. Holds about 2 1/2 gallons. $29.95 Gun Dog supply.

I carry a liter bottle of water and bowl (bottom of a plastic coffee container) in my bag.

Carry water bottles of your choice but also carry a collapsable bowl. Most dogs waste 50% of the water drinking from a bottle.

Carry a bottle with a pop top. Get them started young to get use to drinking from them like they are suckling and they don't waste water. Easy way to train is to only squeeze it when they make a suckling motion, and stop if they try to chew on it, or turn their head to chew on it. Works great. Im not sure how manu other people do this, but my father has been doing it since pop tops were invented. Always have water ready at the truck though and a bowl.

Last edited:
I use a collapsible rubber bowl . . . fits flat in a vest pocket.

My dogs drink straight from the bottle. I walk with a couple 20oz bottles and refill them at the truck after each walk. My dogs gulp alot of air and end up coughing, but they come right back for more. I also have a bowl in my truck which I fill at each rest and I let the dogs drink their fill.

and that is why i don't like him drinking from the bottle. seems to take in a lot of air.

i read somewhere that when out in the field working the dog, it is best to not let them drink too much anyway. that just wetting the inside of their mouth is enough until you get back to the truck. i will see if I can find that article.

wet there ears also in the field but make sure they get some water in them otherwise its not doing anything to hydrate them...

i have to go get a fold up water bowl for the fields also my dogs wast way to much water trying to drink from the bottle never seen a dog yet out of the 4-6 ive hunted with not waste all the water if trying to drink out of a water bottle??? i guess im not as good as 94NDTA & his father??? i must of missed something...

wet there ears also in the field but make sure they get some water in them otherwise its not doing anything to hydrate them...

i have to go get a fold up water bowl for the fields also my dogs wast way to much water trying to drink from the bottle never seen a dog yet out of the 4-6 ive hunted with not waste all the water if trying to drink out of a water bottle??? i guess im not as good as 94NDTA & his father??? i must of missed something...

i was unable to find the article, but I would agree, that they should drink some. Perhaps the point of the article was to not let the dog drink a gallon at a time?

i used a gatorade bottle today when I was out on our walk, and it worked a little better because he was able to actually get his tongue in there and pull some out versus it pouring out over the ground and sucking in air/wasting.

My father IS pretty awesome.

I always carry water in some form, usually in a 20 ounce bottle. I know this, the dogs sniffers don't work so well when they are dry. Keep that nose moist to help them help you find more birds. Problem for me is always weight! Two dogs need a lot of water.

Back