The great debate!

I agree with youu oldandnew about pointers being involved with gsp's. The same can be said about the color as well. there is one that is not commonly seen on them. I had one that I had that I called a brown color because I'm color blind.People always said I was full of bs when I told them what the dog was. I did a lot of research on it and found this website that proves they can come in this color. www.gsp.org.uk/history

Here's a fact I made up but is probably true. :laugh:

If you randomly grabbed 100 labs in america, 2% might be decent hunting dogs. If you randomly grabbed 100 GWPs in america 98% would be decent hunting dogs.

Prove me wrong!
:cheers:

If you randomly grabbed 100 labs in america, 2% might be decent hunting dogs. If you randomly grabbed 100 GWPs in america 98% would be decent hunting dogs.

Prove me wrong!

The labs personalty is his worst enemy.:( It's made him America's most popular breed. This resulted in all too many breeders breeding labs as house pets only.

Gotta stick with the hunting lines if you want a lab that hunts hard and well (as a rule of thumb).;)

I'm wondering if these (made up) percentages would apply to labs in the UK? Personally I don't believe so. They seem to keep a very strict culture of keeping each breed what it is. Lab a lab, pointer a pointer, etc.:)

Prove me wrong!

I think 2% may be a little high. At work we share a parking lot with the Spay and Neuter Clinic of Kansas City. I just witnessed a woman having a staff member help load her porkie yellow lab in the back of her SUV. I got outta there before she looked for help for herself. ( she looked like she might need it:D)

Well I know ALL my labs are bred for performance first, temperament second. Here's a false fact, Labs have the speed and ability to run past a GWP, point a bird, hold steady to shot, RETRIEVE it, and stop to pee on the GWP the way back before the pointer even catch's scent of it. HA!!!!!!!:D:10sign:

Driggs: My black lab, Daisy cusses like a sailor. As for the best dog? Well, Labs would have to top the list over all those boutique dogs you need to hunt with on horseback. Where did I put my red hunting jacket and riding boots? Did I leave them back on the cricket pitch, perhaps after tea? Perhaps Muffy will have Jeeves bring them to me after he's applied a quick coat of polish. ;) :p

Gimme a lab, filthy and covered in loon $h!7, charging through the cats, tongue hanging out grinning that goofy lopsided grin that says: ``Bring it on, you jackwagons! Let's bust some roosties!''

In heavy cover sometimes I can only tell where Buck is because I can see small trees moving and hear brush cracking. (Forgive him, he's yellow :rolleyes:)

Love the thread.

The labs personalty is his worst enemy.:( It's made him America's most popular breed. This resulted in all too many breeders breeding labs as house pets only.

Gotta stick with the hunting lines if you want a lab that hunts hard and well (as a rule of thumb).;)

I'm wondering if these (made up) percentages would apply to labs in the UK? Personally I don't believe so. They seem to keep a very strict culture of keeping each breed what it is. Lab a lab, pointer a pointer, etc.:)

I have a british dog 90 pounds he is a big boy, 90# and would get bigger if I let him. His not at his best on long hikes to find scattered birds but does best in thick cover. Walks with out a leash, would look horrified at the sight of a shock collar, doesn't need it. He has OFA excellent hips, elbows, retina clear, and ECM . No kennel dog here. Only old type, Ryman, Old Hemlock, english setters were the same. the British were the first with heavy dogs, they came here next, and became in fad. Many of all cases, it is the quest to breed to a single factor, forsaking all other features of the breed to ruin it. The show fads are no less a fault then what the field trial guys who put forth dogs with no decent coats, and look like a greyhound. The over heavy show dogs which can not stand hunting are flawed, certainly. But the super whippets are relegated to the kennels because no one can stand it anymore. My dog will be on the couch....with me, where he is 300 days when we are not hunting. My pointer, brittanies, ( I had several shorthairs), would be in the kennel, or pissing on my wifes leg, reducing the furniture it kindling, trying kill your kids cats, or bolting the door to run amuck in the neighborhood. All things in moderation!

Let's be honest, labs aren't the only dogs who get out of shape. I took my female springer to the vet today and she weighed 45lbs.:eek: Mind you she normally starts season at about 38-40lbs and is closer to 35 at the end of season. It's us as the owners job to keep them fit. Hopefully I can get her down to around 42lbs by Sept 1st and 40 before quail season starts in Oct.

Well....this is a pheasant forum is it not, and we all know what the best breed is for hunting pheasants!:D

we all know what the best breed is for hunting pheasants!

Eggzactly keerect! The one you're hunting with that works for you. In past years, mine was a plethora of Labs, 1 Springer, and now my buddy is a delightful, devoted, and always willing-to-please Braque du Bourbonnais . . .
43# & fit as a fiddle.

Well....this is a pheasant forum is it not, and we all know what the best breed is for hunting pheasants!:D

No doubt about it, pheasants were made for springers... or was it the other way around?:cheers:

My view is obviously skewed compared to alot of you.....But the OP said upland,waterfowl and all round not pheasant:) and where i live and hunt your dog better be able to bust through cattails and burn up the chukar hills....

Sooo...with that in Mind I will take the GSP as the best upland dog...followed by brittany and wirehair....

I'll take a chessie just because i hate labs for waterfowl....

And all round has gotta be a Drahthaar with a pudelpointer right behind

I'm in California so I bet our coverts are comparable. My springers hunt (all in their wild state) pheasant, chukar, quail (all 3 kinds), grouse, ban tails, doves, and turkeys. I'm sure they would love waterfowling also but its just not my thing. Yeah I guess I'm a little biased but these dogs do it all. Are they the best in the chukar hills? Hell no, but I'm in good shape so we cover ground.:D:cheers:

No Labs or flushing dogs were used in the taking of these birds :D

Just pointing dogs that know what they are doing.

Jan08057.jpg

DodgeCity_004.jpg

Oct2011_37.jpg

Nov09_27.jpg

Norton11_29.jpg

Back