The great debate!

smittyslabs

There are many different breeds for many different hunters. The big question is, which breed is the best gun dog? In your opinion, which is the best upland bird dog, waterfowler and all around? I'll get the ball rolling.

Upland: If pointing lab were a breed of it's own, I'd choose it, but it isn't. So I'll go German Wirehaired Pointer

Waterfowl: Labrador Retriever

Overall: Labrador Retriever

This is a trick question. Like your wife asking "does this make my butt look big."

Better not to go there! Too many folks that are too passionate about their pups! We all love our pups, and for many different reasons. So long as we love them, then everything's all good.

The best dog is the one that puts the birds up where you can shoot them, and doesn't give you a long sad look when you miss. My ESS is fine with putting them up, but has given me some strange looks over the years. On one particularly bad day, she resorted to taking a rooster out of the air herself, then bringing it to me so I could see what we were hunting.

There are many different breeds for many different hunters. The big question is, which breed is the best gun dog? In your opinion, which is the best upland bird dog, waterfowler and all around? I'll get the ball rolling.

Upland: If pointing lab were a breed of it's own, I'd choose it, but it isn't. So I'll go German Wirehaired Pointer

Waterfowl: Labrador Retriever

Overall: Labrador Retriever

IMO - For the upland hunting as a whole, the Pointers and Setters are well ahead. The only upland bird that I would say a lab is as effective is on pheasants.

Not being a waterfowl hunter I cant say there.

All breeds have their place or they wouldn't be in existence. Everyone on here is going to have a different opinion and generally push their own breed. There are a million different reasons to favor certain breeds: size, heat/cold tolerance, retrieving abilities, versatility, breed temperament, range, flusher/pointer, etc.

For upland birds, there is a reason that only Pointers have won at Grand Junction since 1970. They just plain outrun the other breeds. Does that make them the best? Not necessarily. Will you bag more birds with one? Not necessarily, although since they run bigger they should statistically have more finds.

What really matters is that you have fun in the field and that you enjoy the animal that is curled up at your feet in the evening. Just about any breed can be good for that.

I'll bite. English springers for the win!:D

Doble post.

Last edited:
Being purely objective, rational, unbiased, and fair, I would have to say my Brittany is the best upland bird dog on the planet. But I'm keeping an open mind about other dogs. :D

Last edited:
I'll go there! Why not?

Best dog, hands down.

Labrador Retriever, and further than that, ONLY BLACK ones!:D

I will second that!

All dogs want to be Labs, and all Labs want to be black!!:cheers:

Steve

Best...whether for several upland chores, waterfowl or some miracle do-all dog would be....(insert drumroll) someone else's dog.
Mine are not best for anything but as my dogs....for that, they shine.

Long ago learned that any best is a mighty poor measure....boots, scatterguns or dogs.
And those who tout the best, seriously rather than in fun, are folks that I do my own best to avoid.

All breeds have their place or they wouldn't be in existence. Everyone on here is going to have a different opinion and generally push their own breed. There are a million different reasons to favor certain breeds: size, heat/cold tolerance, retrieving abilities, versatility, breed temperament, range, flusher/pointer, etc.

For upland birds, there is a reason that only Pointers have won at Grand Junction since 1970. They just plain outrun the other breeds. Does that make them the best? Not necessarily. Will you bag more birds with one? Not necessarily, although since they run bigger they should statistically have more finds.

What really matters is that you have fun in the field and that you enjoy the animal that is curled up at your feet in the evening. Just about any breed can be good for that.

Jeff, stop being logical, this is all about arguing :D

Setternut is right, this is time to bash other breeds.:D If I remember right Fc was in the process of breeding some hypo-allergenic super dog he dubbed the golden flabradoodledor. How did that work out Ken?:cheers:

upland theres no comparison these four will get it done no particular order gsh,ep, setter,brittany duck hunting just cant beat a lab and ive seen some awesome labs for parrot hunting

I won't diss anyone's fav breed. I'm still looking for the one that makes me shoot better . . .

I'll go there! Why not?

Best dog, hands down.

Labrador Retriever, and further than that, ONLY BLACK ones!:D

My Chocolate lab wanted me to tell you "kiss my brown ass".:D:cheers: (lol....sorry jsbriggs. couldn't resist. all in fun my friend;))

Last edited:
For upland birds, there is a reason that only Pointers have won at Grand Junction since 1970.

But Jeff, could the reason also be that Grand Junction is predominately a Pointer trial and far outnumber all other breeds (Setters being really the only other competition) by a very large margin?

Last edited:
Back