Royals.....Whipping boys no more

Ku will always be strong as long as Self is here. I think last year the Wiggins crap hurt the team. Self does better with decent talent he can coach up over superstars. He has a couple good players coming in, and I think the guard play will be upgraded with the kid from Houston. Are you a fan? We hunt with a farmer in Draper who is into them pretty good. My son goes to KU and we live like 30 minutes away.

I lived in Topeka for 10 years 1989-1999 and I'm a basketball fan--KU was really fun to watch--yep I'm a KU fan.:D

I lived in Topeka for 10 years 1989-1999 and I'm a basketball fan--KU was really fun to watch--yep I'm a KU fan.:D

They looked pretty good tonight, but man did they get stomped at kentucky. That team is unreal. Hopefully they get bounced in the tourney before we would see them again but I don't think so. Different kind of talent there.

They looked pretty good tonight, but man did they get stomped at kentucky. That team is unreal. Hopefully they get bounced in the tourney before we would see them again but I don't think so. Different kind of talent there.

What do you guys think about the Lawrie/ Escobar/ Ventura ordeal. Is this going to be an all season deal or what?

For what it's worth I enjoy gritty baseball.I liked Lawrie's slide though I didn't like Escobar getting hurt, and I also liked Ventura plunking him but walking down to the first base line as Lawrie took his base was a little much.

Lawrie's slide was a cheap shot in my opinion. There was no chance for a double play on a ball like that, and he goes in with spikes up off the bag at a plays legs.

As a former college pitch, he is not done getting hit by pitch this season, at least in my day.

I was surprised ventura got tossed with no warning. I think if given the chance he will get hit again. The Royals are starting to get some teams that they don't care for much. That is what happens when you start to win.

Lawrie did exactly what I was taught my entire baseball carreer, run hard, slide hard, and take your lump if you have to. He raised his stock with A's fans, now if his bat would just heat up we'd have a great third baseman on our hands.

I don't think he was expecting a feed to second on that play, hence the late slide.

Last edited:
Lawrie did exactly what I was taught my entire baseball carreer, run hard, slide hard, and take your lump if you have to. He raised his stock with A's fans, now if his bat would just heat up we'd have a great third baseman on our hands.

I don't think he was expecting a feed to second on that play, hence the late slide.

You were taught to put your spikes into the side of someones leg even when there is no chance for a double play? If he had slid to the bag he would have been safe.

If someone did that to one of my teammates he better be paying attention, cause I am coming up and in, more than once.

Yes, I was taught to break up the play and as a middle infielder I was taught to always expect the runner to do the same.

When we are watching it at home and seeing replays its easy to say there was no chance for a double play but it's unfolding in real time on the field in a very close game.

I would expect my pitcher to do the same for me if it happened, that's how you play baseball.

Herrera goes head hunting and tells Lawrie that's where he was aiming? Keep it classy KC.

The Royals are a lot more mentally tough this season than all but the end of last season.

We will see how long the first slump goes when it happens. If its only a few games, look out.

Lawrie knew what was coming that is why he just took his base. Refreshing to see old school baseball. If a guy showboats after going yard next guy gets plunked, steal second with large lead guy gets plunked, suicide squeeze throw at the batter, do anything you can to break up 2. Lastly, if a catcher is blocking home on a play drive right thru him. I used to play first and my coach gave me the green light to go after any runner who stepped on my ankles as they would run thru first, benches did clear a few time and our pitchers would protect us too. That is just the game of baseball.

I totally agree but it should've been done with after Ventura plunked him, no need for Herrera to go head hunting today and don't even bring up Kaz hitting Cain, our starter isn't going to intentionally hit him in the first inning and potentially wreck our bullpen (our weak bullpen) before going to our REAL rivals house.

Yes, it is one and done, not recurring. Just like hockey you take a cheap shot at the star expect payback and once served play on till next encounter.

I think he had a couple coming. I too played ball through college and would have considered that play at second to be dirty at best. It is one thing to try to break up a double play, and another to start a slide a couple feet from the bag into another players knee. I really don't think " keep it classy" applies to either side on this one. The slide was certainly not classy, nor was the game on sunday afternoon.

I don't care how many lumps you think he had coming for that slide, what Herrera did was indefensible. To throw above the letters at him and to announce your intent to throw at his head on the way out is way over the top. Yost help escalate it by getting tossed on a pitch that no one who knows anything about baseball thought was intentional.

I really wish Lawrie would've rushed the mound after that second pitch. Now someone (Perez) has to take a lump for him when the Royals come to O.co

Yost help escalate it by getting tossed on a pitch that no one who knows anything about baseball thought was intentional.

I heard some pretty reputable national baseball guys (Buster Olney etc) who said that they thought Kazmir's throw was intentional. They also said the way he acted immediately after hitting Cain is what made the situation escalate.

I don't really know as I did not get to watch the game, but I do think those guys know a little about baseball.

The situation didn't dictate a bean ball there, especially after the A's used their long man the night before. The timing, the placement, the place, none of it was right and the umps didn't seem to think it was intentional unless there's some conspiracy theory out there against KC. Anyways, they have to come to The Town so we'll see how the rest of the story plays out then.

Well after all our thoughts and speculation on the incidents MLB has handed down discipline. No action taken against any A's players, Ventura fined and Herrera fined and suspended for 5 games. See you guys in Oaktown.:cheers:

Back