Quail hunters roll call

quail hound

We now have our own place to trade stories and info about quail hunting.

I'll start the roll call.

I'm Robert and I spend a lot of days every year chasing california, mountain and gambles quail.:cheers:

Last edited:
I'm Scott,

I spend alot of time chasing Gambels, scaled, and Mearns quail. In arizona.

Good idea Robert.:thumbsup:

LOve quail hunting would love to hunt the scaled quail someday I can spend all day just letting my dogs work singles! quail hunting is my favorite. Bryan is present today roll tide:)

This is a good move having a quail forum.

I want to hunt all the quail some time. Scalies are next on the list.

Hey guys, while we are here lets all share a quick story and a pic.

My dog and I found these birds after a descent of over 1000 vertical feet in my chukar hills. This is my "big sky country" and hardly a soul will ever bother you out there. I'll admit I feel a little silly following a flusher in such a wide open place but these hills have a way of recharging me. If you come this way Steve we will hunt here first so you can see how tough it can be, then I'll take you to a spot where you can't go a 1/2 mile without flushing a covey.:cheers:

IMAG0205.jpg

Does it count if you've been out quite a few times this year but haven't managed to actually get anything? If so, I'm Mike and a quail hunter. This is my first season hunting since I was a kid growing up in ND and AK. It's been fun but most of the time it's hiking with a gun and a dog.

Does it count if you've been out quite a few times this year but haven't managed to actually get anything? If so, I'm Mike and a quail hunter. This is my first season hunting since I was a kid growing up in ND and AK. It's been fun but most of the time it's hiking with a gun and a dog.

LOL Mikewpg,

Welcome to the forum UPH, and welcome to Quail hunting. Yup some days are just a hike with the dogs and a gun. Thats why its called hunting and not killing.

But it beats working all day long.:D

Yeah it counts Mike. You picked a tough year to get started as quail numbers are down across the state. I promise to get you and your dogs some birds before season is over, pray for a good spring and next year you'll know the ropes and there will be birds to hunt.:thumbsup:

Oklahoma bobwhites here. New pup and the birds are recovering from two years of drought. Have rebounded a bit. Looking forward to getting out!

Pete here and accounted for. I hunt a lot of birds but I dream of bobwhites, I knew that in the 5th grade when rooster were calling outside the outfield fence, never heard the hit or saw ball fly over my head, but I did locate that rooster quail!

I will share all my quail stories now. I got one once and it was the only quail I ever shot at. That completes all my quail stories. It would be fun to hunt where there is some birds.

My dogs hunt them. I just stumble around, trying not to hurt myself or get lost. :laugh: Can I be in the quail club?:cheers:

My name is Mark (Gunner) I am a "Quail a Hollic"

I thank God today, as he has blessed us with plenty of the "Biblicial Birds" this year. Yes, that is right! After many years extremely low Quail numbers and three years of severe drought, we have enjoyed a great day a field with the bird dogs today. Typically, my dogs are hardened and in shape by this time of the year (but the snakes have still been out); however the dogs Roxie and Queenie seemed a little winded after a few hours of chasing birds. Now Sally on the other hand, showed no signs of letting up. It's a blessing to get into 8 covey's in just over two hours. A day to thank God and treasure forever for sure!

I'm Scott,

I spend alot of time chasing Gambels, scaled, and Mearns quail. In arizona.

Good idea Robert.:thumbsup:

Hi Scott. I'm Nick. I'm a recovering Ringneck Pheasant aholic from the pheasant forum:D. My wife told me I should set my mind on something else besides wild pheasants, so I'm crossing over to the quail side for a few moments to see what happens:D

:cheers:
Nick

First post here and I am also new to quail hunting. Have a young dog that will teach me things I am sure but have to find the birds first. Headed out this weekend so hoping for the best.

I remember in the 60's hunting quail in Missouri on my uncles farm, man did I ever have a ball, last time I hunted there I killed 1 bird, I had my nephew with me and he was around 10 years old. He is now 38.

Rich is the name an quail is the game. Glad to see a dedicated quail thread:thumbsup: I still find'em in NE KS but not like the old days. I like to plant and bulid habitat for them bob's in the off season.

My name is Bill,
I hunt mainly Gambel qual, but I plan on turning my dogs loose on some Scalies and Merns, all in Arizona

I don't know about this ultra liberal, all inclusive, don't-leave-anyone-out, any species goes, mumbo jumbo; but yes I too quail hunt:)

Back