Quail hunters roll call

Blackdog.....I grew up in Nebraska in the late 70's and 80's.....and quail numbers were very good. I am finding some nice coveys this season in KY, but hope to return to the prairie soon.....

I am a very endangered species, and Indiana quail hunter.

Been doing some good this year too. Averaging about a covey an hour so far.

Quail hunting is my first love. I was hooked the first time I saw a real bird dog on wild birds. He was an English Setter, a field trial dog out of the Crockett line and even though he was a little past his prime, the drive, the athleticism and the intensity on point blew me away. I do enjoy hunting pheasants and I hope someday to hunt the prairie birds and ruffed grouse with my Setters but when it's all said and done, if they want to be honest, when they bury me they will mark the grave;"Here lies a quail hunter".

I call myself a quail hunter / addict but I have to drive a long way to find any anymore. Is that legal? If so I are one! I haven't seen a covey in GA in two years. Have to buy and put them out, and it is good but it is not the same. My dog has pointed and held the only wild covey she has seen in Nebraska two years ago. I killed two cocks that just lined themselves up just right. Only time in my life I ever expected to do that missed a hen with the other barrel. First shot made me proud and the second one humbled me back down.

I love hunting quail more than almost any bird. Hunted in Kansas and Texas for bobwhites. Looking to change that up and get on some desert quail this year.

Thats better than I am doing here in KS.

Yep, that's better than KS quail hunting these days. That said, I've not spent much time in "quail country" this year, more like combo-country. We'll be in quail country in 2 days though and we'll spend 4-5hrs in territory we're very familiar with......I'd really like for this weekend's experience to prove my statement wrong. 1 covey/hr would be an incredible outing for my boys, the dogs, and I!

Waterfowler at heart and is my main love of hunting. I don't pheasant hunt and see them as a bonus bird. Although the past season and so far this season I have spent more time behind my pointers (newly aquired) than I have in the marsh.

Not many quail as opposed to ducks and geese which makes it a bit more of a challenge.

I've always quail hunted a time or two in the past but now that I have more pointers at the present time than I've ever owned I am sure enjoying it. The walk through the fields exploring more than really hunting is a great way to relax.

MO birdhunter here with Brittanies. Reports are good in some of my regular areas, but I have been holding off until regular deer season is over. (We are never over deer season here during bird season.) Travel out of state to SD & KS for pheasants. Used to do TX & OK until about 6 yrs ago when I quit that due to the severe decline there.

Do not post much here due to reading the forums on my phone which doesn't let me reply to posts for some reason.

Great replies and stories guys....let's keep this going as we are a dying breed.

If anyone is interested in a quail hunting trip to Kentucky.....I would be glad to spend a day afield. And possibly trade for a hunt elswhere when numbers improve.

I would say we are moving about 1 covey per hour.....or maybe every 2 hours. Numbers are improving here....but only where quaility habitat exists.

Tennessee

West Tennessee bird hunter here with 2 setters and a pointer. There's not a lot around home to hunt. I get together with a few guys and put out some birds every now and then to get the dogs some work. My wife and I have been to South Dakota 3 years in a row and have done well on pheasants.

treedaddy,

Very nice. You all in down there need too get after the problem, of lack of quail.

Just is not right.:thumbsup:

Thats better than I am doing here in KS.

Indiana has some good spots. Certainly not overrun with birds by any stretch but my hunting partner and I have put in many hours of scouting, seeking permission (almost everyone allows us to bird hunt!) and actually hunting.

Last season was tough. We knew birds were around but couldn't find them while hunting. This year we've been hitting them every spot we know has birds.

The SW part of IN is supposed to be the best for quail but I have only hunted that once (with Bobby Knight). We hunt the SE part of the state for those. Surprisingly there is also some good pheasant land. Not a ton but where it's good, it's good.

Indiana has some good spots. Certainly not overrun with birds by any stretch but my hunting partner and I have put in many hours of scouting, seeking permission (almost everyone allows us to bird hunt!) and actually hunting.

Last season was tough. We knew birds were around but couldn't find them while hunting. This year we've been hitting them every spot we know has birds.

The SW part of IN is supposed to be the best for quail but I have only hunted that once (with Bobby Knight). We hunt the SE part of the state for those. Surprisingly there is also some good pheasant land. Not a ton but where it's good, it's good.

Way to go Murph, I also have hunted with Bobby Knight, different BK though as it is my Bro in laws name. You are lucky to have a partner to scout and hunt with, I think finding an upland partner that will go more than once a year in Indiana is as hard as finding the quail.

tell us about your experience with bobby knight what was he like? I chuckle about the time he shot someone he was hunting with and the next game the whole stands was orange and on tv lol

Quail is my bird of choice

Pheasants are a bonus but quail keep the dog work going and they are fast!
Nothing beats a mixed bag in KS.

JimW

Missouri quail hunter for over 30 years also have hunted pheasants in Ks and the panhandle of Ok. Hunted gambels and blues in Ar. and NM. Quail also in KS and OK Nothing beats a good covey rise and the following single hunting of the bobwhite quail. Was fortunate to have lived and hunted in the quail glory days and also to still be able to hunt. Hope this qualifies me as a member of this quail hunting forum and sure enjoy all the posts and pictures.

cheers Jimmy.....wish I could have hunted the glory days of MO.......I was too late to the party....lol

I live in Michigan. My main birds to pursue are grouse and woodcock. I travel to Indiana for a weekend most years to chase quail with an old Army buddy. Some years we do very well, others are slim pickings, but its always fun. Love quail hunting!

Back