NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Careful what you wish for. My help from Hutchinson had softball sized hickeys on his truck from last nights' onslaught! My boss and his dad got hit hard too. One of my peers was in Hutch too with both their vehicles and thinks his wife's SUV will be totalled and his truck isn't much better.

This year is a different year than the last few in that there has been some rain and the temperature is much lower. Seed stock is low and the drought is far from broken. My hired hand and I drive a lot of back roads every day. By now we would have seen a lot of hatches in the ditches, but to date we have yet to see a single chick in the ditch. I have seen two pheasant hatches at the ranch, no quail hatches, but hear them calling and no lesser prairie chicken hatches.

My precip is up to 9.15", but only three events were that beneficial, that being 12" of snow in a storm in February and 2.55" of rain in June and 1.10" over two days in June.

Here is my precip:
1/10 0.75
1/30 0.25 from snow
2/20 1.00 from snow
3/09 0.10
3/23 0.15
4/27 0.80
5/30 0.75
6/05 2.55
6/08 0.45
6/16 0.50
6/17 0.60
7/15 0.20
7/16 0.15
7/17 0.50
7/21 0.15
7/23 0.25

I keep hoping it will be over soon(the drought, that is).

Wow--only 8" total and the smaller ones held the dust down for a cpuple of hours if that. Hope things improve.

Wow--only 8" total and the smaller ones held the dust down for a cpuple of hours if that. Hope things improve.

Thanks!

I purchased Egyptian wheat seed early this year, since I couldn't get any last year. It is still in the shed and will be held for more favorable conditions next year. I do have some sunflowers that I will still plant if I should get some moisture. I have brassicas for the deer to winter on, but it would be foolish to dust those little seeds in. If I can get some moisture in the next few weeks they will get planted, otherwise, will save for next year.

The lack of hatches is really depressing.

Hopefully SW and W gets hit tonight! Lots of rain moving East out of Colo.:thumbsup:

Hopefully SW and W gets hit tonight! Lots of rain moving East out of Colo.:thumbsup:

I hope it gets here. Had to go all the way to Punkin Center to start seeing it on the screen. Sure is hard typing with 80 pounds of shorthair in my lap.:)

I hope it gets here. Had to go all the way to Punkin Center to start seeing it on the screen. Sure is hard typing with 80 pounds of shorthair in my lap.:)

I know the feeling!!! You have a force field that cannot be broken! Anytime storms hit the border they fall apart! Update!!!!! They are starting to recharge!!! Liberal getting some!!! Pushing your way!! Could be enough to think about seeding???

Last edited:
Nice rain up North! Storms headed for Dodge are moving fast dropping about a half inch. Hopefully they will slow down just a little!!!:cheers:

Looks like most everyone got some precip!!:thumbsup:
WUNIDS_map-2_zps86181fea.gif

Almost an inch in the gauge, I will call it an inch and that brings me up to 10.15"

Just 20 miles NW of us it was a 60 mile round ball on the radar. By the time it got here it was 6-10 miles thick and gave me .14. Such a buildup and piddle. Glad you got the lion's share Maynard. An inch makes a lot of difference.

An inch of rain and cooler weather is good, very good.

Dodge City Days is just beginning, maybe it will cause some rain. The testical festival is happening tonight. Parade in the morning. BBQ tomorrow noon.

Suppose to get Severe here along the front range and as they move east they are suppose to intensify all the way into Kansas. Hail and even some of those twisty things. We shall see!!

Back