NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

An inch of rain and cooler weather is good, very good.

Dodge City Days is just beginning, maybe it will cause some rain. The testical festival is happening tonight. Parade in the morning. BBQ tomorrow noon.

Drove through Ford County this past week but did not see a single rooster or hen with a brood. It still looks dry but better than the past couple years.

Last night was generous. We received 1.62 overnight and there is a bunch of storms north of us now. They could miss us to the east unless they sag to the south. A lot of folks getting beneficial rain! Nice change!!!

Drove through Ford County this past week but did not see a single rooster or hen with a brood. It still looks dry but better than the past couple years.

Did you honk at me on the way by???

I would have shown you a couple broods at the ranch, if I could find them again.

The crop conditions look better, but the pastures are still in bad shape. The crops can make with some nurse rains during the growing season. The pastures need a wet winter.

I actually don't ever remember a time when I went so long without seeing a pheasant or quail. The bird numbers are very low.

Last night was generous. We received 1.62 overnight and there is a bunch of storms north of us now. They could miss us to the east unless they sag to the south. A lot of folks getting beneficial rain! Nice change!!!

Good to hear.:thumbsup:

Maynard, remember the growth of your pasture this year is largely dependant on it's health last year. The better conditions now can't make up for that. They will lag this year despite the improvement. There's no way past that. Even my pastures that weren't grazed the last two years are behind this year. However, I compared grass growth in my pasture on the south side of 10th street with the neighbors on the north side this week and the difference is about 200%. They are not grazing now, but did the past two years. The little bluestem on their side was about 4 inches tall. On our side it was about 12. Part of that difference is the lack of residue on their side. Some is due to their grazing last year weakening the plants. That lack of residue leads to drier conditions as the sun and wind are able to affect the soil temperature and evaporation rate. Having been over-grazed last year, those plants had to use up root mass to reestablish top growth several times the last two years and the result is a weakened plant that is unable to take advantage of the much improved conditions. It will take time for that grass to recover. If cattlemen don't adjust their grazing for a few years, permanent damage will occur. Preachin' to the choir with you I'm sure!

Some parts of Kansas got quite a bit of rain yesterday and last night and some more is on the way. Hays and Ellis received around 3.75 and 4 inches respectively! Hope everyone can get some of this rain.

Did you honk at me on the way by???

I would have shown you a couple broods at the ranch, if I could find them again.

The crop conditions look better, but the pastures are still in bad shape. The crops can make with some nurse rains during the growing season. The pastures need a wet winter.

I actually don't ever remember a time when I went so long without seeing a pheasant or quail. The bird numbers are very low.

Didn't have time to stop at the Ponderosa since the family was with me and we were headed to Ohio. The season is getting close so will give the heads-up the week before I run up to Nebraska for their opener. It was great being in God's country again. I saw one lone rooster in Oklahoma near Guyman and that was it. I even drove some gravel roads in normally good hunting areas close to dusk and zilch. Yes, the numbers are VERY low! :)

Didn't have time to stop at the Ponderosa since the family was with me and we were headed to Ohio. The season is getting close so will give the heads-up the week before I run up to Nebraska for their opener. It was great being in God's country again. I saw one lone rooster in Oklahoma near Guyman and that was it. I even drove some gravel roads in normally good hunting areas close to dusk and zilch. Yes, the numbers are VERY low! :)

I'm guessing you drove within 1/4 mile of my house too and didn't even honk! We gotta work on your friendly Texas nature! Hope it was a good trip. Sounds like it was a long one!

I'm guessing you drove within 1/4 mile of my house too and didn't even honk! We gotta work on your friendly Texas nature! Hope it was a good trip. Sounds like it was a long one!

Troy, it has been a nice trip so far. Starting back today and will probably take the shorter route down through Abilene instead of the favored route via scenic 54 through Kansas. It is a long trip but very enjoyable. I need to start warming up the horn to honk a little as I drive through the Promised Land of Kansas.

Hey, families get hungry and/or thirsty too and I am plenty used to taking care of families. Now I have a point A to point B gal for a wife, so there is little time for scenic routes and socializing when she is with me. On a return trip from Evanston, WY she said she would drive. I said, but I was going to go to Flaming Gouge, etc. Nope, back on I-80 we go, then it happened, she got sleepy and I got behind the wheel. When she woke up, we were in the Medicine Bow mountains in Colorado well off I-80. You snooze, you lose.

Hey, rain this morning.

The local weather forecast always shows the region (including Kansas) in a radar loop. Seems like for the last week, it almost always shows rain in Kansas. We're getting quite a bit here in NW Arkansas also. Good deal.

Blessed Rain for a lot of Farmers and Ranchers! Some did not get much but some got a bunch! Cooler for sure as record low temps for high's were recorded. I have a better feeling for next year.:cheers:

3 inches over weekend...

in Graham County. another 2 during the week. Has to help any chicks that were hatched and lived up to now. Is it too late for a last hatch?

If hens were unsuccessful with their first and second attempts there can be a late hatch for them, but usually hatching no later then mid August. I have seen 8-10 week old chicks in Mid to late October. Everyone counts at this point.:cheers:

Storms starting to pop for your area Maynard!!!! Growing pretty quickly!!

I see them on the radar. Maybe, just maybe. I am in Dodge at the moment and will go to the Dodge City Days Gospel Concert tonight. A few years that has produced a downpour in Dodge.

Had 0.15" this morning bringing total to 10.30"

Wow, that was interesting. 2.21 inches in about an hour. I have water coming into the basement in 3 places. Limbs down everywhere. I know what we'll be doing tomorrow. I think that will bring us up close to 6.5 inches for the month.

Back