NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

I'll ask around but I think the only decent scalie ground the inlaws have is S and SW of Liberal. Besides the obvious why not lessers. I know gove and possibly graham? have healthy populations. I know it depends on what you read.but the aerial counts seem to be believable to me.

I'll ask around but I think the only decent scalie ground the inlaws have is S and SW of Liberal. Besides the obvious why not lessers. I know gove and possibly graham? have healthy populations. I know it depends on what you read.but the aerial counts seem to be believable to me.

The only reason I am not really interested in shooting a LPC, is that I am not wild about eating them, and I have already shot several GPC over point.

Scalies, are only down there in the SW corner of the state. There is a little public land available down there, but I have never hunted that far to the SW.

Think you would enjoy a hunt behind some setters, we might have to think about this seriously.

Browndog, I would be very surprised if the SW has much to offer on any gamebirds this fall. They have been devastated by this drought for over 2 years and haven't come out of it yet. Yes, scalies are desert birds, but you have to have some growth. The lesser counts have been decent, but with the destruction to most of the CRP in the state in addition to the hard pounding the pastures have taken, I don't expect reproduction to make significant positive gains over most of the SW. There isn't much to be optomistic about yet. Yes, we are coming out of the drought in much of the area impacted over the past 2 years, but with carryover birds down 34% over what they were already down last spring, we have some rebuilding to do.

Like most desert species, they are a boom and bust genetic potential. They are similar to bobs, but probably have a wider extreme.

I have taken two scaled quail on Cimarron National Grasslands, but a lot of years ago. I would like to take one again for a mount, but doubt if that will happen.

Thanks Troy. Yes the summer of 2011 took a lot of the birds.At this point there really is nothing to carryover.Last winter I was talking to a neighbor of theres who runs a service. I asked about there hunter averages. A said what about a bird a day.He said no, closer to a half. For the weekend. So even with the "best cover" left. Chances for success arent very high.

Steve I'll talk to them and see if they've seen any quail lately. When I've asked in the past. They kind of look at me funny. "You mean cottontops, we see a few on the beaver."

On a different note. My daughter is heading out there to help with harvest. A great experience that I wish more had the opportunity to enjoy

Hope the brief showers cools you down out there!! It will probably dry as it hits being so darn hot out there!!! Stay cool. Heat is dangerous to all!!

In Wichita the storms were notable only for the strong winds--gusts in excess of 70mph in some areas. Rainfall totals were not all that impressive. I caught a brief glimpse of rainfall totals from around the state, and I don't think I saw anything over a half. However, anything measurable is a blessing in the southwest part of the state.

Good deal Drifter. A little shower in DC this morning. Radar doesn't show much at the Ponderosa, but if any, it is appreciated.

I say, keep the hose dripping. Glad you finally have a greenup. Hope it continues. Maybe you can get some late nest success and have a bit more noise round sunrise this fall.

rain bands on radar moving from SE to NW...been raining here in Texas for 2days, very unusual for July. :D

Boy do I need some rain. I have stuff planted that has done nothing due to no rain. Looks like my place has a chance of a little tonight.

Get Naked and dance the dance Steve! I shook loose 1.01 today:) We had 3-4 different bands today with the last one right at 4:30 dropping .86 by itself. It might be greedy of me, but I would take more. Hope you get some Steve. Maynard looks like he might get some if it holds together.

rain stuff

here in greeley we have gotten the ground wet 4 days in a row, maybe 1/2" total but then, that's the first in a couple of months

cheers

Get Naked and dance the dance Steve! I shook loose 1.01 today:) We had 3-4 different bands today with the last one right at 4:30 dropping .86 by itself. It might be greedy of me, but I would take more. Hope you get some Steve. Maynard looks like he might get some if it holds together.

It just missed us, and looks like the stuff to the south has broken up.
Maybe tomorrow.

Back