NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Even the ones with broods will renest if conditions are right. They are forcasting it to cool down. If it does we could still have an average harvest date. Something to remember, with the warm weather the hens are nesting early too. I have seen quail and chickens acting broody all ready.

Have a report of Roosters breeding hens the last few days! First time this Spring this has been observed. Lots of hens!!

Have you gotten any of this rain Byrd? How is it looking out there these days? I'm sure it is far from good yet but please say its better than last year. Look forward to the comparison photos.

Have you gotten any of this rain Byrd? How is it looking out there these days? I'm sure it is far from good yet but please say its better than last year. Look forward to the comparison photos.

Over the last four weeks I have had 2.45" and 1.20". Lush and green and even puddles here and there. A big, big difference. PTL.

Had just a trace of rain and a trace of pea sized hail on Saturday from all the storms rolling through.

Winter wheat looks awesome, but moisture is not very deep, so could sure use some little rains from time to time until harvest.

Looks like the "Ponderosa" is getting some moisture this evening. Hope so...

It looks that way. It moved in about 8:30 last evening when I was leaving the ranch. I have stayed in Dodge this morning waiting for a break in the weather. We were getting really dry and the wheat was stressing since there is no reserves in the sub soil. I have irrigation running at the moment on my irrigated wheat. Had the plane come in on Thursday and spray for the rust in the wheat. This looks like one of those "million dollar rains".

I was in Hugoton on Saturday and the conditions there are much improved from last year, but again the dry land wheat was suffering from lack of sub soil. This year we need some frequent rains over the next forty-five days to bring this crop along, rains like we are getting at the moment, PTL.

Maynard,

Hope for rain is on the way. Lets make sure we don't have any tornado's or hail storms.

This year we need some frequent rains over the next forty-five days to bring this crop along, rains like we are getting at the moment, PTL.

In 45 days the wheat here will be burned off, field cultivator through it, and beans planted. A few weeks ago they were saying we were a month ahead of normal. Earliest I can remember combines rolling is June 6th, usally the 2nd week of June will have pretty much everybody in the field. Pretty sure I saw a field starting to turn this weekend. Guys were putting up fescue hay a week ago, which is almost a month earlier than normal. Right now we have so much water you can't walk across the yard without it sloshing up and all the creeks and rivers are flooding on a small scale.

Heard about the heavy rains in your area. Yes, things are early this year.

It continues dry here at the Ponderosa. Trying to get some posts in the ground and it is difficult. Can get 6 to 12 inches then rock hard. The ground is so hard it will not take water. We will auger as far as we can then pour a bucket of water in and try to go a little deeper the next day and do it again until we get it dug.

On the wildlife scene, my hired hand saw some turkey poults two weeks ago. No upland chicks seen to date.

Some wheat ready to cut, just waiting on the harvesters.

Back