NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Proud for you my friend! Glad you are getting some rain now. Hope all the farmers are and especially hopre the birds and wildlife profit nicely from it as well.

Sightings of pheasant and quail are rare around the Ponderosa at the moment. Was outside all day gluing PVC water line and would have normally heard pheasant and quail, but none today. Did hear a couple gobbles from some turkey that have made it back this way. I hope this is the year I can take my first Tom on the Ponderosa and have it mounted.

I am anxious to see how many lesser prairie chicken will show up on the leks this spring. Hoping and praying that even though the seed is limited the bounty will be sufficient to replenish the bird numbers sooner rather than later.

I will post some pictures as the spring progresses.

I absolutely hope with you about the "seed" being enough for a good new beginning. It is a sad thing what nature can do to a crop, but it is also a good thing it can accomplish sometimes in spite of great odds. I will hope for the latter. Though this board reaches only a few it is good to know that others care and try to do whatever they can to help out the wildlife in times of stress. I am reminded of a time when six carloads of deer hunters presented a fawn HBC to me for treatment. Many would say it was hipocritical of them to do so for they would have shot it in the fall of the year. Many people saw it struggling in the road and did not stop, but the deer hunters not only stopped and brought it in, but also offered to pay for its care. Being a hunter myself I treated it and all the wildlife that was presented to me on my nickel. Considered it paying my dues. Hope your charges rebound nicely. BTW how is Murray doing? Hanging in I hope!

Murry is doing remarkably well. Had him back to the vet and Doc is puzzled, I am pleased. Murry is running on all four and seems not to favor the joint. It is good to have the old Murry back, now wish I could get my previous body back. Thanks for asking.

Murry is doing remarkably well. Had him back to the vet and Doc is puzzled, I am pleased. Murry is running on all four and seems not to favor the joint. It is good to have the old Murry back, now wish I could get my previous body back. Thanks for asking.

wow, that is fantastic news!..........even better than the 3" of rain you received. :thumbsup::)

That is wonderful news and made my day! I know it is a blessing to you for certain. I believe in prayer and its power, and I won't discount it at all, but a cruciate ligament injury can act that way and perhaps a cartilage injury as well. Only God knows for sure, but we can be thankful either way. I was afraid to ask, but now, I'm glad I did. Hope the wife is well too. I guess being a vet I forgot to ask about the person! I'm sorry.

So far this Spring, it is looking better. Still a long way to go!!

WUNIDS_map4.gif

Looks like SD is the new Kansas. The low providing all the rain down your way was parked right over us and we got squat. Has pretty much been the pattern this spring.

About 1.50 to 2.00 inches in the area. The Ponderosa got 0.90" and it looks like it came pretty fast, but beggars can't be choosers. I will take it and be very thankful. PTL

Maynard,

That's great news I hope you see another round by next weekend. It's a little funny to see wheat headout in March.

Wheat past the joint stage here. Understand we are three weeks ahead of average. I believe the report I heard on the radio listed Kansas wheat as 8% poor to very poor, 32% fair. Didn't get the rest. It is a whole lot better than last year.

The fields are looking really good here. Lush green wheat and the pastures are getting a nice green hue, even though it is winter annuals(mostly cheat grass) and weeds, it is still nice.

The wheat aphids are pretty bad this year in oklahoma. I know many farmers that will be bailing the wheat this year too make up for the lack of hay and pastures caused by the drought. We had 2"rain last night that should finish greening things up.

That is sure good news for a change, guess you must have been out waxing your truck or maybe your "2011 Rain Dance" is starting to kick into gear.

In this area winter wheat, planted in September/October, then it goes into dormancy in the winter and breaks out of dormancy in the spring and has rapid growth about the time the hens are going to nest. This lush wheat is a primary nesting area in many locations. The wheat remains undisturbed until harvest in June/July, about the time that the hatch is off the nest.

Last year the extreme drought and extreme extended heat meant that there was little nesting cover in the winter wheat fields.

Here is a picture from last year.

IMG_8879.jpg

Last year was a real disaster for the pheasants in SW Kansas. There were areas, such as mine that went eleven months without a rain and some areas about fifteen months.

This year I have no subsoil moisture, but surface moisture and the wheat is lush, but early hot temps has brought the wheat out of dormancy three weeks early and the wheat is growing like crazy. This early break out can cause a couple issues, 1) makes the wheat subject to late freeze damage since the wheat is jointed and the head above the ground and could suffer severe damage from the freeze; 2) moves harvest ahead and from the stand point of a nesting hens, the nest may be lost. Usually a bumper wheat crop equates to a bumper pheasant crop. This year could be different just because we don't have many hens available to raise a brood.

Like my dad said, "If it is not the hogs, it's the windmill". Basically meaning, the is always some thing that can go wrong on the farm. A wheat crop(and pheasant crop) can be 'lost' several times before harvest. Through it all, through the good and the bad is the thought that there will be a harvest. I go back the the parable of the seed and I know without the seed going in the ground and dying and becoming useless, there is no chance of a harvest.

Last edited:
we got 1.05" of rain in this last one- small hail came down hard- I was moving the Escape into better protection- was under the car port for awhile- what a sound as the hail pounded the aluminum- was blowing just about sideways

yesterday I went out to play in the wet sand with these new tires I have on-
I like em- but that rain seems to have sunk in or dried out- strong winds after the rain I believe

hard to say how this fall will be- sure doesn't seem to be but a couple hens arround here-

and the other day I had the 22 in the led sled pointed out the window
2 coyotes were sneaking after 2 roosters

So in a nutshell, as of right now, is it looking like next year will be better than this past year?

Not necessarily. Since around 70% of the hens in that country will nest in the winter wheat and the Wheat harvest is 3 weeks early, broods or nests can get wiped out! Hopefully hens with eggs will renest, but the ones with broods will be done for the most part!! I am just happy there will be some wheat this year!! Birds are pretty hardy!! They have to be, out there!!:cheers:

Dumped 0.30" from the gauge this morning. Seems like a whole different country with muddy fields and roads.

Back