If you were getting 1 rifle?

SetterNut

I do not have a rifle and would like to buy one. The question is what would fill most of my needs.

Here is what I would like from the gun:
- Take care of coyotes on my place.
- Use it to hunt whitetail if desired
- Ammo readily available and reasonably price.
- Good quaility gun, but doesn't need to be top of the line.

What should I look at.

I don't know what kind of action you prefer, but if you want to shoot whitetail I would suggest nothing smaller than a .243 for calliber. I shoot a .270 for deer but it is a bit much for coyote. There are some newer short magnums out there that will give you options. A 22 250 can be used on deer but you better be able to put it where you want to.

.270 Winchester. Bar none. It can be used for flat varmint shooting or powerful enough for deer. The Canadian Indians use Dominion 160gr. jacketed bullets and shoot Moose. Best virtue, it's one of the few guns when sighted in which throw all grain bullets to the same point of impact. Virtually no recoil. That cannot be under estimated in the field. The most versatile is the venerable 30-06. Amazing variety of bullets and charges. Needs some tweaking to get the accuracy. I like the 7mm. But it has low barrel life, erosion thru the throat from a shallow sloping shoulder. It has been wildcatted to resolve.

.243 Win

The .243 Win. cartridge will take care of all those things for you. As to the rifle, I would look at one of these.

Savage with the Accutrigger.
Weatherby Vanguard
Howa 1500 (About the same rifle as the Vanguard, often less money too)

All three of these are known for quality and accuracy.

Lock and Load! :D

I would agree with the .243 for the purposes you have stated maybe a 25-06 even. Actual model well that has as many answers as "what shotgun should I get?".

Last edited:
Get an ar-10

The .308 would handle deer and coyotes no problem, an with the way things are going the gun will increase in value rapidly

I vote .270. Take care or anything you can hunt in the lower 48.

I have and love a 257 Roberts and have taken most big game up to Elk with it, it's just deadly on deer. I also have a 223 Savage with the Accutrigger system and it is with out a doubt the most accuracte rifle I have ever shot. The Accutrigger is really the best.

The 257 sends a 100 grain bullet out at around 3000 ft per sec and the 25-06 adds about 300+ ft per sec to that. The truth of the matter is most modern calibers will do just fine in any good rifle.

Get a 25 cal or less and hunt varmits and deer and when you get hooked on big game hunting get a large caliber to hunt the big stuff --Elk Moose Bear --just enjoy.:cheers:

I do not have a rifle and would like to buy one. The question is what would fill most of my needs.

Here is what I would like from the gun:
- Take care of coyotes on my place.
- Use it to hunt whitetail if desired
- Ammo readily available and reasonably price.
- Good quaility gun, but doesn't need to be top of the line.

What should I look at.

I would also vote .270. I am a one rifle owner, and I have a 30.06 that I bought for all the same reasons you are buying your rifle, except that I had a friend at the time who was hell bent on taking me elk hunting and said I "needed" a bigger bullet. I never went elk hunting, but I guess I am ready anytime... :laugh:

.270 is plenty big enough for deer, and popular enough you would have no trouble finding reasonable ammo anywhere. Field and Stream just did a story about bargain bolt-action rifles. Some were incredibly accurate. You might check it out on their website.

If, for some reason, you decide you want a 30.06, I would sell you mine and I'll buy a .270.:cheers:

My best friend just bought a Savage .270 with the accutrigger. It isn't "purty", but I shot it a few weeks ago and I really liked the trigger. It came with a Nikon scope too. I was overall pretty impressed with his purchase, and enjoyed helping him sight it in. Should make a nice deer and coyote slayer for him!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Centerfire-Rifles/Bolt-Action%7C/pc/104792580/c/105522480/sc/105523380/Savage174-Arms-111-Trophy-Rifle-with-Scope-Package/1338908.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-centerfire-rifles-bolt-action%2Fsavage-arms%2F_%2FN-1102332%2B1000004563%2FNe-1000004563%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105523380%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104792580%253Bcat105522480%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104792580%3Bcat105522480%3Bcat105523380

Last edited:
243 is more of a middle of the road round that would better cover your choice in hunting. 270 is a bit large for varmints. Unless you don't care about the hide.

22-250 with good handloads, using Barns "X' bullets can be a real deer killer in the right hands and yet work our near perfect on varmints.

Lots of good entry level priced guns out there.

Savage 110/111

Weatherby Vanguard

700 ADL Remington

Winchester model 70 Black Shadow

To just name a few

.243, 6mm, .25-06, or .270. Savage and Howa produce good accuracy without breaking the bank. Put decent optics on whatever you get.

I agree, the .243 & .270 are good choices. Of course, I'm the oddball and have a 6mm (.244) & a .280' so there you go. The 6 and the .280 give me more reloading options with a heavier bullet at higher speeds. If you don't reload, go .243/.270; they kill just fine.

SetterNut,
If you are going to stick to varmints and whitetails, get a .243 Winchester. If you ever think you may have the desire to hunt elk, or caribou, get a .270 Winchester. Remington 700 ADL, Winchester 70 Black Shadow, Savage, Tikka, all inexpensive, accurate, quality guns that will serve you for a lifetime.

For your stated situation I would pick the bolt gun of my choice in caliber .243 up to whatever you like, AND THEN I would spend at least 3/4ths of that amount on a GOOD quality scope.

Most rifles of today will shoot better than most can hold under field conditions, but only up to the quality of the optics. I have always said that you are better off with a $200 rifle and a $500 scope than a $1000 rifle and a $75 scope!!

BobM

I agree with .270. My friend who is a gunsmith and sharpshooter says Savages are the most accurate straight out of the box rifles. I have a Savage .22 mag bolt action that is tack point. With a .270, you can hunt anything in North America. Anything less will eliminate some big game options.

Last edited:
I think the .270 is a bit much for coyotes. I would say .243. If the primary purpose is coyotes and the occasional deer, then the .243 would fit the bill. Less recoil and smaller, lighter rifle.

But....

Lots of good suggestions but one of the OPs requirements is "ammo readily available and reasonably priced."

When was the last time you saw .257 Roberts on sale at Wally World? Not knocking it, I have one that I love but I hand load for it.

I agree with the .270 or 30.06. Find one in a Remington 700 and you'll never have a problem finding ammo or a gunsmith with extra parts.

Vote for the 25-06 and 257 roberts. 260 is becoming fast attraction for some long range enthusiasts. You can load all these down for Coyotes and Vermin!! I am a fan of the 270, but have first hand knowledge of what a 90 gr bullet can do to a yote! I guess if you just want to kill them and not save the fur! Then a .270 is hard to beat, since Rounds are readily available!! Hell, you can't really go wrong with any of them!!:cheers:

While my first vote was for the .270 Win. I think any of the calibers mentioned between the .243 and .270 would be fine with the proper bullets.

I think Haymaker stated that a 22-250 could be used for deer. That is true in South Dakota but most states have a minimum of at least a .23 caliber for big game. I personally think SD should do the same.

Back