If you were getting 1 rifle?

For what you seem to need a good bolt action .243 will do fine. If you think that is underpowered go to the .270. Most versatile gun of all is the 30-06. But that's only if you think you'll need it for bigger game at some time.

The .270 will work for predators. I'd load it with a stiff 130-140 grain bullet and it will just punch a small hole through a Yote. And the same bullet will work fine for deer. I have shot a lot of elk with a .270 and the last one I used Winchester 140 gr. AccuBond. The elk went down just as dead as if I had shot it with my .338 Win. Mag.

All the rifles mentioned so far cannot be used for deer here in Indiana but you can use them for coyotes. The only rifles that can be used are ones that take handgun rounds like the .44 or .357 similar size rounds.

I can get on board with the 270. Great round and shoot very flat. Deer and yote no problem. All a round good set up for most Game in the US.

:D

.243 or .270? get one of each! the .243 can really be super tuned for accuracy,especially with handloads.not much recoil with the 243. its really like the mouse the roared ,it punches well above it weight.the 22-250 would break your heart but its probably too light for deer,its not legal in Co.
if elk's gonna be on the menu than get the .270. there's really nothing too big for elk,we'd prefer 'em to stay shot.
the .25 roberts really needs hand loading to bring out its potential, dont pass up a good used one.how's that? clear as mud:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input guys. Its going to be a .243 or a .270. I am leaning toward the .270, but I have alway like a lever action, guess too many John Wayne movies as a kid. From what I see Browning BLR is the only option in .270 Lever Action.

But I took the dogs for a run on the property that my wife and I are buying. I looked over and saw 2 Coyotes about 20 yards behind my pup Indy. He didn't even see them until I started running at them and calling Indy. We close on the ground in a little over a week. At that point there is going to be some attitude adjustments for those coyotes, nothing messes with my dogs.

Some pics from tonight.

Dec12_142.jpg

Dec12_136.jpg

Dwight148_34.jpg

Dec12_146.jpg

Looks like a beautiful piece of land Steve. :cheers: How many acres?

Looks like a beautiful piece of land Steve. :cheers: How many acres?

Just under a 1/4 section. There is a house on 6 acres that we are not buying.
Its been a dream for a long time to buy some land.

With some work it should hold plenty of wild quail to work the dogs on.
The plan is to build quail habitat, and raise setters :thumbsup:

But some of the coyotes are going to have to go.

Sounds like a hell of a dream. I wish I lived closer as I would be more than happy to offer any assistance I could. I can push a shovel like nobodies business.:cheers:

Thanks for the input guys. Its going to be a .243 or a .270. I am leaning toward the .270, but I have alway like a lever action, guess too many John Wayne movies as a kid. From what I see Browning BLR is the only option in .270 Lever Action.

But I took the dogs for a run on the property that my wife and I are buying. I looked over and saw 2 Coyotes about 20 yards behind my pup Indy. He didn't even see them until I started running at them and calling Indy. We close on the ground in a little over a week. At that point there is going to be some attitude adjustments for those coyotes, nothing messes with my dogs.

Some pics from tonight

Have to use a magazine with center fire spire pointed bullets. Tubular mags had a nasty habit of blowing a round in the tube. All respect to "Winchester 73", and the "Rifleman", but accuracy is diminished in anything action besides a bolt action. Me I figure accuracy is number one.

It has a 4 round box magazine.
I am sure that the gun is unlikely to be the weak link in my accuracy equation :rolleyes:

I still need to look around at different rifles. Looking at the Browning BLR, there are plenty of less expensive guns out there.

My choice for owning one rifle would be a 270 bolt action. I have a old Winchester and a newer model 70. I have killed a ton of Yotes with them. Deer, antelope and Elk too. 140 grain Federal Premium for everything, zeroed in at 250 yards.:)

If you're set on a lever action one other option would be a Winchester Model 88 in .243 Win. These were some very good guns in their day. However, looking on GunBroker.com it appears a nice one would run you more money than a new Browning BLR.

If you're set on a lever action one other option would be a Winchester Model 88 in .243 Win. These were some very good guns in their day. However, looking on GunBroker.com it appears a nice one would run you more money than a new Browning BLR.

As little as I am going to shoot this thing, the smart thing would be to go with something that is a solid accurate gun, that doesn't cost a ton. But I am not always that smart :rolleyes:

I will eliminate a few coyotes, and maybe shoot a deer. But most likely if I deer hunt it would be with a bow.

As little as I am going to shoot this thing, the smart thing would be to go with something that is a solid accurate gun, that doesn't cost a ton. But I am not always that smart :rolleyes:

I will eliminate a few coyotes, and maybe shoot a deer. But most likely if I deer hunt it would be with a bow.

If you are mainly going to shoot coyotes I'd lean more towards the .243 than the .270. And I'm a true .270 fan. With the .243 you will have less recoil and a shorter action.

Surprised no one has mentioned 6.5x55. Similar to a .270. flat, low recoil. can be loaded with 100gr - 160 gr for different game. And it's really accurate.

Not going to find it available at WallyWorld but there is a thing called the internet.

If you are mainly going to shoot coyotes I'd lean more towards the .243 than the .270. And I'm a true .270 fan. With the .243 you will have less recoil and a shorter action.

I have been bouncing around between the .243 and the .270. But I think the .270 is maybe a slightly better choice. If I find that I want something different, I can alway buy another gun.

If my wife thinks she would like to shoot some, then i can get the .243 also. Planning is key to maintaining you options :D

SetterNut I love the lever action rifles as well, and I agree with you on accuracy too, in a real hunting situation, I am always the weak link, so I don't worry about not having a bolt action. If you have decided on the .270, then you are going to be a little more limited. But if you look at other calibers the old Savage 99 has a magazine like the BLR so they can accept the spitzer or pointed types of bullets. The Savage 99's are becoming more popular with collectors, so prices are going up, but it is still an option to the BLR.

My favorite lever gun is the Marlin, but that is just because I have had one since I was 16. Hornady has come out with a new type of ammo they call leverevolution, which allows you to use a pointed bullet in a tube magazine due to its soft tip. If you really want a lever gun I would look into Marlins as well. Check out Marlin Owners forum if you need more opinions on an specific marlin rifles. As some others have said, if you are looking at coyotes and deer, your options are wide open, don't get suck on one or two as the best. I would find the rifle you want and then choose one of the optional calibers.

What Mike said. Take a look at the older Savage 99's. They were some good rifles. Not sure all the calibers that they came in but I'll do some research on it. I know they came in .243 because I have a friend with one.

Back