If you were getting 1 rifle?

Looks liek the most popular calibers for the Savage 99 were .243 Win., .308 Win., 300 Savage and 250-3000 Savage. For your purposes, if you got a Model 99 the .243 Win. would be the way to go due to availability of ammo.

SetterNut I love the lever action rifles as well, and I agree with you on accuracy too, in a real hunting situation, I am always the weak link, so I don't worry about not having a bolt action. If you have decided on the .270, then you are going to be a little more limited. But if you look at other calibers the old Savage 99 has a magazine like the BLR so they can accept the spitzer or pointed types of bullets. The Savage 99's are becoming more popular with collectors, so prices are going up, but it is still an option to the BLR.

My favorite lever gun is the Marlin, but that is just because I have had one since I was 16. Hornady has come out with a new type of ammo they call leverevolution, which allows you to use a pointed bullet in a tube magazine due to its soft tip. If you really want a lever gun I would look into Marlins as well. Check out Marlin Owners forum if you need more opinions on an specific marlin rifles. As some others have said, if you are looking at coyotes and deer, your options are wide open, don't get suck on one or two as the best. I would find the rifle you want and then choose one of the optional calibers.

What Mike said. Take a look at the older Savage 99's. They were some good rifles. Not sure all the calibers that they came in but I'll do some research on it. I know they came in .243 because I have a friend with one.

Thanks guys, I will do some checking on-line on them.
The coyotes are going to be the first thing that I have to take care of on the property. Had two of them stalking my pup Friday night. That is not acceptable.

I too have a Weatherby Vanguard in Win 270 ,it was my Dad's gun and is a sweet shooter, he worked up many different loads for it so I know it is possible to use it for a lot. 5.56 is a good one for deer size targets too, and is a little hotter than 223.

Thanks guys, I will do some checking on-line on them.
The coyotes are going to be the first thing that I have to take care of on the property. Had two of them stalking my pup Friday night. That is not acceptable.

I hear you about the lever-action. I looked and looked and looked at them.:eek: Actually, I still look at them...:rolleyes: I'm thinking my daughter will "need" a .22 in a few years and it will probably be a BLR. :laugh:

A couple other options on the varmint control would be 1, trapping or 2, invite somebody out to call them.

I don't think you need a license to trap on your own land as long as you follow a few rules... I don't think you can sell the furs, and I think you need to put your name on the traps, and check them daily while they are out. I wouldn't mind trying it sometime at my little farm, but it is a bit far to drive there daily for me.

Whenever I mention "coyote problem" in the company of people who like to call coyotes, they start foaming at the mouth. I'm sure you could probably get somebody to set up and call them pretty easily by just telling the right person you have a lot of coyotes. Those guys are nuts for it...:cheers:

My favorite lever gun is the Marlin, but that is just because I have had one since I was 16. Hornady has come out with a new type of ammo they call leverevolution, which allows you to use a pointed bullet in a tube magazine due to its soft tip. If you really want a lever gun I would look into Marlins as well. Check out Marlin Owners forum if you need more opinions on an specific marlin rifles. As some others have said, if you are looking at coyotes and deer, your options are wide open, don't get suck on one or two as the best. I would find the rifle you want and then choose one of the optional calibers.

The problem with the LEVERevolution ammo from Hornady for this application is that it only comes in 30 caliber and larger ammo. Not really premo coyote loads.

.243, 25-06, .270. Out of those 3 the 270 and 243 will be the easiest to find ammo for but I would imagine that your not going to shoot enough for that to be a problem though. I don't own a 25-06 but have shot them and they are a very, very nice, low recoil, flat shooting round. The 7mm08 would be a good choice as well.

I'm not a fan of the .308 which will draw some critics I am sure. It's an accurate round but there are much more flat shooting and just as accurate rounds now. The 308 was and still is a good round, don't get me wrong. There is a TON of data around on that round as well.

As far as makes go, for the price you can't beat a Savage. I took a Savage .308 tactical to a law enforcement sniper school I attended years ago and it was shooting as good as anything there. Of course it has a good scope on it.

Also your gun is ONLY as good as your optics on it.

Oh, nothing but bolt action for me too.

Late to the party here, but for a no-frills, solid, versatile, good looking rifle, that isn't going to break the bank, I'll take a new Ruger Hawkeye. They're classy looking, and available in some of the more oddball cartridges that I like. For Wal-Mart ammo and mostly coyotes, I'd go .243. For mostly deer, I'd go for .270. For coolness factor, I'd go .257 Roberts (which I have in a Kimber, perfection).

The OP mentioned liking levers and somebody brought up the Savage 99. They can be had in .243. Primo condition ones are going for quite a bit of money, but good solid, functional, shooter grade guns can be had for around $500. I've got one in .300 Savage that will shoot sub-inch groups and most people that see it say "what kind of gun is that?". The bluing is worn on it, but I don't care, its a hunting gun. I'd love a Savage 99 EG in .250 Savage, but even the rough ones fetch a premium due to the rareness of the caliber.

The problem with the LEVERevolution ammo from Hornady for this application is that it only comes in 30 caliber and larger ammo. Not really premo coyote loads.

Yes, only in 30 and not the ideal for the application, I guess I would have to agree.

Hopefully once Remington figures out their production issues with the Marlin rifles they will team with Hornady again come out with some smaller options, like a .270. Good read here on that possibility http://www.chuckhawks.com/270_express.htm.

I had to travel for work this week. My fight out of KC as delayed 3 hours so I spent some time in Cabelas. I was shocked how many empty spots they had in thier gun area. Then had some time last night and went to the Cabelas in Hamburg Pa, it was pretty picked over as well.

I can't believe noone has mentioned the perfect north american big game round; the 7mm rem mag. I have a Ruger bolt action rifle with a 3x9 wideview Redfield scope. Works great for Moose to Antelope.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the perfect north american big game round; the 7mm rem mag. I have a Ruger bolt action rifle with a 3x9 wideview Redfield scope. Works great for Moose to Antelope.

Perhaps you need to go back and read the original question on this post?

Here is what I would like from the gun:
- Take care of coyotes on my place.
- Use it to hunt whitetail if desired
- Ammo readily available and reasonably price.
- Good quality gun, but doesn't need to be top of the line.

While the 7mm Rem Mag is a good round it is way too much cartridge for this guys needs. Mainly popping a few Yotes and maybe shooting an occasional deer.

And not to start an argument but I think a lot would disagree that the 7mm Rem Mag is the perfect North American big game round. That's probably something for discussion on another thread.

Perhaps you need to go back and read the original question on this post?

While the 7mm Rem Mag is a good round it is way too much cartridge for this guys needs. Mainly popping a few Yotes and maybe shooting an occasional deer.

And not to start an argument but I think a lot would disagree that the 7mm Rem Mag is the perfect North American big game round. That's probably something for discussion on another thread.

Well, I disagree with your disagreement. It's also great for shooting pds and sky blasting geese :p

Well, I disagree with your disagreement. It's also great for shooting pds and sky blasting geese :p

I think we are trying to give this fellow some sound advice. You may enjoy shooting PD's and geese with a 7mm Mag but not many would. That's an awful lot of boom and recoil for a varmint gun. Plus cost of ammo.

Don't think I'd want to sit and shoot several hundred rounds in a day at PD's. But if that's your cup of tea, have at it. :)

I do not have a rifle and would like to buy one. The question is what would fill most of my needs.

Here is what I would like from the gun:
- Take care of coyotes on my place.
- Use it to hunt whitetail if desired
- Ammo readily available and reasonably price.
- Good quaility gun, but doesn't need to be top of the line.

What should I look at.

Setter,

The .243 Winchester is your best option for a Yote/ Deer gun. I would suggest 55gr bullets on Yote's and 100gr on deer. The ammo is still somewhat cheap and avaiable. I personally feel .243 is a bit light for deer but they work for my kids/ buddies well.

With that being said I would suggest a bolt action and you should plan on spending as much on a scope as you do on your gun. You my want to look at the CZ 550 in .243:thumbsup:. It comes with a SingleSet Trigger that is adjustable without taking the actions from the stock like with the Accutrigger. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I will be happy to answer any questions.

Kick'em Up

I think we are trying to give this fellow some sound advice. You may enjoy shooting PD's and geese with a 7mm Mag but not many would. That's an awful lot of boom and recoil for a varmint gun. Plus cost of ammo.

Don't think I'd want to sit and shoot several hundred rounds in a day at PD's. But if that's your cup of tea, have at it. :)

OK zeb, I'll stick to the 22 lr for the pds. I was thinking more along the lines of one rifle for big game and forgot the critters. Not sure about other states, but in Colorado, you have to have 240 caliber or better to hunt deer and I'm not completely sold on a 243 for good size mule deer at range. By the way, I have always been pleasantly surprised by the lack of recoil of my 7mm mag. I recently picked up a 300 win short mag and am looking forward to giving it a spin.

The one rifle I wish I had in my collection is the 7mm 08 my grandpa built just before he died. Somehow my uncle (who doesn't even hunt) ended up with it and its doomed to a life as a wall hanger.:( It would be a pretty sweet all around gun Imo. I did get grandpa's wingmaster, 22mag, 22-250, .243, 32-20 and his mark 2 though so I shouldn't complain to much.

OK zeb, I'll stick to the 22 lr for the pds. I was thinking more along the lines of one rifle for big game and forgot the critters. Not sure about other states, but in Colorado, you have to have 240 caliber or better to hunt deer and I'm not completely sold on a 243 for good size mule deer at range. By the way, I have always been pleasantly surprised by the lack of recoil of my 7mm mag. I recently picked up a 300 win short mag and am looking forward to giving it a spin.

I have a .338 Win Mag and with 200 gr. to 230 gr. bullets it's a load to shoot from the bench due to recoil. Don't notice it in the field. The .338 Mag. is the same cartridge as the 7mm Mag., or vice versa. Just necked to a different size.

Back to the .243 Win. which I still think is the best choice for our friend here. But in stead of switching between bullets for like kick them up suggested I'd find one bullet of 85 gr. - 100 gr. that shoots well in the gun and use it for everything. That way you don't have to worry if they both have the same point of impact. I'd get a solid made bullet like the Federal Trophy Copper or something similar. That way the bullet won't blow up on deer size game and will probably just punch a small hole in the Yotes.

Setter,

The .243 Winchester is your best option for a Yote/ Deer gun. I would suggest 55gr bullets on Yote's and 100gr on deer. The ammo is still somewhat cheap and avaiable. I personally feel .243 is a bit light for deer but they work for my kids/ buddies well.

With that being said I would suggest a bolt action and you should plan on spending as much on a scope as you do on your gun. You my want to look at the CZ 550 in .243:thumbsup:. It comes with a SingleSet Trigger that is adjustable without taking the actions from the stock like with the Accutrigger. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I will be happy to answer any questions.

Kick'em Up

Thanks. I have pretty well decided on the .243. But I would really like a Lever action, .... just because. The one that I am looking at is the Browning BLR. But good luck finding one. I was in 2 Cabela's and 2 other gun shops, they have sold so many guns that the picking is pretty slim.

I agree with oldandnew! I have had and taken whitetails with .243,.270, 7mmMag and all are very lethal on the whitetails. For one gun do it all you're ok with a .270 win. up to elk. It is a fairly unique cartridge with the gun not caring which shell you feed it the point of impact stays very close. Flat shooting and you have to go to a 7mmMag to top it's performance, and even then it won't be by much. Popular and readily found ammo too.

Back