A South Dakotan Calls the Glenn Beck Radio Program

Glenn Beck.:laugh:

The same guy who said that Texas was going to succeed from the United states and all our doctors would defect to Texas if Obama care was passed. He even said that a husband wife team of doctors were making their move from Washington state to make sure they could get in before the boarder was closed between the U.S. and Texas.

As far as CRP. I have a love hate relationship with it. I support you who use it, getting as much cash per acre as you can but disagree with the no public access with tax payer paid rent.

Onpoint

I think they should pay farmers to leave crops by the public areas and maybe make it so the public can hunt it.tough sell I know.

Just to qualify.

The state can pay farmers if they want. The federal government has no right to spend our money on crops beside public areas so people can hunt. Conservation practices should be done by the landowner or the state if thats what the people want. The federal governments role should be limited.

This is definately a hot topic and one that has valid arguments on both sides. I dont know enough about the program to understand how it really works, other then the obvious and very broad description of farmers getting paid to take marginal ground out of production. On the surface it seems like a win win for the farmer and the wildlife, but I have a hard time seeing how this benefits the general public or govt. for that matter in a monetary way. I understand the habitat and ecological benefits, are there any others?

Conservation and Human Nature

Leave conservation to the state or the individual and we'll have the dust bowl or worse, in a few years. Cannot reasonably expect you, me, or anyone else to leave cash on the table for a possibility of a better, healthier life sometime in the distant future. Payments come due every month, or year, the future is an abstract idea we hope for, and ( this is important), believe will be better! A human being, unless some embodied Saint picks now over the future everytime, even if the future is 6 months away. I don't know any Saints. Man would eat the last egg in the last pheasant nest in the world, to make life easier for a day. We tried to shoot the last buffalo, we succeded in shooting the last passenger pigeons. Some higher authority is required to force a conservation ethic on us. Soil quality, fertility, and water quality may not be as obvious to us as the sudden disappearence of great herds of Bison and sky darkening flights of fowl, but it's a bigger calamity in the making. I betting CRP pays for itself in fertility, and water treatment costs downstream to tax payers as a whole. As for me I have to hunker down, end of this month and next are Kansas's turn to annually,burn the flint hills, resulting in Kansas Cities only red alert air quality days of the year, asthmatics are warned to stay indoors and continuing the decline of the greater prairie chicken, for a measly couple a pounds of beef, as apposed to an every other year cycle which benefits Prairie chickens, and cuts the smoke polution to manageable 1/2. We couldn't dare encroach on the private landowner even for the immediate public good

Glenn Beck.:laugh:

The same guy who said that Texas was going to succeed from the United states and all our doctors would defect to Texas if Obama care was passed. He even said that a husband wife team of doctors were making their move from Washington state to make sure they could get in before the boarder was closed between the U.S. and Texas.

As far as CRP. I have a love hate relationship with it. I support you who use it, getting as much cash per acre as you can but disagree with the no public access with tax payer paid rent.

Onpoint

A while back I went to our local FSA to look into CREP, which allows public access and pays better than other CRP. I asked if there was some kind of immunity from liability. I was told that I should consult with a lawyer and an insurance agent before I signed anything. I think that was wonderful on her part. If you can get a big settlement out of McDonalds for a cup of hot coffee imagine what that lawyer could do if someone stepped in a badger hole and had gun go off and shot his buddy. If I am going to allow the public to hunt my CRP the rates will have to triple.

If you can get a big settlement out of McDonalds for a cup of hot coffee imagine what that lawyer could do if someone stepped in a badger hole and had gun go off and shot his buddy

Imagine what they could get if they tripped in your badger hole with a McDonald's cup of hot coffee.

Last edited:
Just to qualify.

The state can pay farmers if they want. The federal government has no right to spend our money on crops beside public areas so people can hunt. Conservation practices should be done by the landowner or the state if thats what the people want. The federal governments role should be limited.

I thought the same thing when the fed spent a trillion$ to save the banking system. No one forced the bank to write bad loans. I pay my bills and if I do get a loan I'm truthful about my finacial situation. Think thats how it's suppose to work. Only the Feds would think otherwise. Cry if you want about crp but it is a legal program.

the federal bailout of banks was far more involved than people lying on their income statements. We have been trying to clean this mess up for 3+ years. Believe me, there are far worse gov't programs out there than CRP and farm subsidies. I could tell you some stories that would make you sick. At least i get some benifit back from CRP. I have always wished that somehow payments could be increased if wildlife improvements were made. I know with my uncles land it would sure help. His land is marginal, so even the grass isn't that great some years. I would pay extra in a license for that. Like what has been said, even if access isn't granted to all, one or two good stands of grass help the whole area. The wildlife doesn't just stay on one farm.

P.S. I can't believe this whole thread started about something that was said on the Glenn Beck show. Doesn't he cry and dress up like Hitler sometimes?
Ever heard his gold ads or for his "seed bank". He is a freakin genius.

Here in Minnesota, a lot of the farmers drain tile their wetlands to get more tillable acreage. I understand that this is their land, but it does affect other people downstream.

We have thousands of acres that now drain into the Red River that used to hold the water, slowly releasing it into the ground. Then we scratch our heads and wonder why the Red has a 100 year flood every other year. Fargo and Moorhead flood and the Feds pay millions or billions to rebuild everything. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I wonder if a one time payment to these farmers to plug the drains for good would work? It may be cheaper in the long run than rebuilding a couple cities numerous times.

Here in Minnesota, a lot of the farmers drain tile their wetlands to get more tillable acreage. I understand that this is their land, but it does affect other people downstream.

We have thousands of acres that now drain into the Red River that used to hold the water, slowly releasing it into the ground. Then we scratch our heads and wonder why the Red has a 100 year flood every other year. Fargo and Moorhead flood and the Feds pay millions or billions to rebuild everything. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I wonder if a one time payment to these farmers to plug the drains for good would work? It may be cheaper in the long run than rebuilding a couple cities numerous times.

:10sign: BINGO .... Eastern South Dakota is going the same way.

"As long as everyone can hunt on their land" - Ha Ha

Here in Minnesota, a lot of the farmers drain tile their wetlands to get more tillable acreage.

Tiling and ditching needs to be approved by the FSA office. Your beef should be with the Feds not the farmer.

Tiling and ditching needs to be approved by the FSA office. Your beef should be with the Feds not the farmer.

From what I know and hear - The FSA office will approve almost everything as long as they don't drain a wetland. But they can drain everything leading to the wetland. :mad::mad:

As I have said before there seems to be a lack of consistency with in the FSA or they have new rules. We had a change in personnel at the FSA office and guys are old to ditch and tile stuff they were not able to before.

Imagine what they could get if they tripped in your badger hole with a McDonald's cup of hot coffee.

Gawd I wish I had thought of that!! "CHA-CHING"... :cheers:

From what I know and hear - The FSA office will approve almost everything as long as they don't drain a wetland. But they can drain everything leading to the wetland. :mad::mad:

I wonder if this has anything to do with draining. In order to get eligibility for wetalnads CRP like FWP and 38 you need to authorize for a wetlands determination to be done on your land.

Most farmers/landowners) do not authorize this determination because of obvious reasons, one of which being draining. So if that wet area has not been formally determined to be a wetland does FSA or NRCS have any say/right that you cannot drain it?

PA, I watched it and recommend it to all here. We also eat about 95% wild game for meat. Farm chickens direct, venison, pheasant, turkey and fish. I like knowing where it comes from and I get first hand knowledge of processing. We process all our our venison except for maybe some sausage and brats/dogs.

There is a choice in how we buy our food. I am not going to start grinding my own flour and baking my own bread. I do however raise my own beef.

There is a choice in how we buy our food. I am not going to start grinding my own flour and baking my own bread. I do however raise my own beef.

yep and I bet know one ever eats at Micky Ds:thumbsup:;)

Sure I eat out once in a while but what is in my freezer I raised. I eat out of my own garden what i can. I also buy a can of tuna and macaroni.

Sure I eat out once in a while but what is in my freezer I raised. I eat out of my own garden what i can. I also buy a can of tuna and macaroni.

Gotta have my Micky D coffee in the morning, I am hooked on that stuff:)

Back