A South Dakotan Calls the Glenn Beck Radio Program

steele

He called in yesterday Friday the 18th. He was slamming CRP. He said a farm north of him recently signed up for CRP on a half section and they were being paid $170.00/acre. Is this true? It sounded high to me, but I don't know for sure. Just asking.

Last edited:
Let's see now, taxpayer cash for not planting, plus more cash from pay-hunters = pretty good deal eh?

He called in yesterday Friday the 18th. He was slamming CRP. He said a farm north of him recently signed up for CRP on a half section and they were being paid $170.00/acre. Is this true? It sounded high to me, but I don't know for sure. Just asking.

Steele, it varies widely by county and prgroam so without know those two things it would be hard to substantiate. That would be some of highest in SD that's for sure.

For that money it has to be in the James River Valley and they have to be getting the Public access kicker. Or the land has to be in the SE corner by Sioux Falls Vermillion area.

Good old SAFARI has the answer......James River CREP.

$170.00 sounded high so I thought I'd asked the experts. Since food prices are rising, I wonder if there will be a backlash because of farm ground taken out of production?

Corn belt rental rates are a lot higher than those received here in the wheat belt. That'd be about 4X what farmers get back here.

For that money it has to be in the James River Valley and they have to be getting the Public access kicker. Or the land has to be in the SE corner by Sioux Falls Vermillion area.

Minnehaha County

$170.00 sounded high so I thought I'd asked the experts. Since food prices are rising, I wonder if there will be a backlash because of farm ground taken out of production?

Yes there will be. With record farm profits and rising commodity prices there will be some backlash.

Let's see now, taxpayer cash for not planting, plus more cash from pay-hunters = pretty good deal eh?

As far the question goes that you did not ask, if eliminating CRP was part of a larger effort to get spending under control that included real cost cutting like entitlements I would gladly see CRP eliminated.

thats a lot of tax $ with the country in a mess. big win for the land owner on my dime.:(

One Mr. Beck is all for corporate bussiness and corporate farming. His kind have never seen big ag. big enough. Look how stupid they sound when people ask them lower the ag. payout limits. You can't do that they give us cheap food. Maybe lower the limits to 30000 or less instead of the 250,000. Which would save the tax payers alot more $ then hammering on a few that want to help wildlife. Why don't you all quit hunting so their will be more wildlife? Poeple wait until big ag gets it all:eek: there will be cheap food:thumbsup: ah right. Look what it's done for the hogs and chickens farmers. All they want is a few big farmers and the rest of us as slave labor. 20 years are so there won't be crp why because big ag could care less. Then you will all be happy:thumbsup: Please look else where to save your tax dollars maybe defense department, huge tax breaks/payments for oil companies, all the fruad in the medicail system. Is it not the Feds who are willing to pay 10% more then the appraised value on land for public hunting ground? Whats that do to me when I want to buy ground? There is no easy answers. Why blame farmers for taking advantage of a program? We are not the ones that make the programs.

Oh look the no name no face "Big Ag" rears its head again. What it means no one really nos but it is the enemy for sure.

Big ag Remember MURpHY/Tyson the hog saviors? What about Dairy who owns them? Farmers saling their soul to cargill and all the others. Where just here to help billionare ag companies? Stick your head in the sand and play stupid thats what they want. Our is your family one of them that fell for the stupidity? Promise you the world and work for peanuts, but at least you get to drive big equipment. States let them break all the rules poute everything in site, cut massive deals. Sure theres no big ag I made all these names up:thumbsup: I work for myself and spend my money locally in IOWA. Pick up a farm magizine sometime maybe you'll figure it out:)

Oh look the no name no face "Big Ag" rears its head again. What it means no one really nos but it is the enemy for sure.

Mike, we use "Big Ag" like America uses the term "The Fed". They are both big and out there.

The guy that "used" to farm my ground wants to farm bigger, faster, more, go thru the sloughs, pull out the fences. His objective and my objective clashed and that was about the only thing we agreed on. He, like many other big time, big Ag farmers would love to see CRP go away and never come back. Takes away "their" livelyhood.

This is maybe just my viewpoint but I think there is a huge battle going on for the prairie pothole region of South Dakota. In my mind it's Big Ag vs. Conservation.

If you listen closely when you are talking to Big Ag they will talk like Conservation is in their vocabluary but if you seek the truth you will come to find their talk is smoke and mirrors.

Back