Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting how history tends to repeat itself! Years ago wolves were killed off, cougars were killed off, and bears were killed as well. Many of the people who remember why this was done must have passed on.

I love wildlife, I spend countless hours working on and helping others with habitat improvement for a variety of species, both game and non-game species alike. As noble as it might seem to reintroduce or enhance the spread of these large predators, it's not a great idea and as time goes on it'll become more evident why their numbers were reduced years ago.

I used to go camping up in the gunflint trail and boundary waters with the dogs, not any more. I will not even go grouse hunting up there any more. If I go fishing and camping no dog will be with and I will have a gun or two at all times. This has just gotten ridiculous. One comes at me he's getting it. A lead sandwich.

I wonder if those wild dogs have thier rabies shots and vet certificates to go accross state lines.:confused:

I used to go camping up in the gunflint trail and boundary waters with the dogs, not any more. I will not even go grouse hunting up there any more. If I go fishing and camping no dog will be with and I will have a gun or two at all times. This has just gotten ridiculous. One comes at me he's getting it. A lead sandwich.

I wonder if those wild dogs have thier rabies shots and vet certificates to go accross state lines.:confused:

I know how you feel. My brother and law and I were turkey hunting in Wisconsin back in 2009. Sun went down, we got turned around, straight out lost. Now it's 9:00 at night, dark, foggy, and I'm starting to think I'm in some kind of horror movie with all the strange sounding critters making noises. Noises I've only heard in Hollywood movies.

Next thing you know the two of us were encircled by six or seven wolves hollowing away. They were all about 100 yards or so from us:eek:. What a very nasty feeling that was. Soon after they started hollowing we found a snowmobile trail and high tailed out of there REALLY quick. I still grouse hunt up there but I just can't relax and God forbid the dog runs off! --1pheas4

lets re introduce wolves in central park and the rose garden at the white house.:D that ought to make for some interesting news

LOL:10sign::cheers::D. Now your talkin. Could you imagine the look on there face as you tossed out fifty of those dam hungry things." What are you doing"!!!

Just saving the wolf from extintion sir. There is just as many pets here as in MN, and were running out of deer for them. LOL

I take a dog to BWCA in the summer but I always have a handgun on me.

From the sounds of it it is sound that they grow familiar with, sounds that attract them, dogs baying, beeper collars whistles etc. Otherwise it is a chance encounter and more unlikely as the defenders say. I have see some talk about the beeper collar and those were some of the dogs attacked. Also ones right out of yards, and what do they do, bark.

Last edited:
I live a couple miles from St. Michael MN which is 30 miles NW of the Twin Cities. They have a large Community sports complex complete with baseball fields, soccer fields and wooded walking trails. I run my dogs off leash there quite often. Anyways, I met up with a guy walking his Golden the other day on the wooded trails. A few weeks ago he said he rounded a corner and there not 60 yards down the trail stood a Timber Wolf. :eek: I asked him if it could have been a large coyote as we have those around, and he said no... I know the difference. His dogs hair was standing straight up on his back as they (wolf and dog) stared at each other. The wolf took a couple steps in his direction and stopped. He said he did an about face and went the other direction. He called the DNR and they asked the same things as I "could it have been a coyote". He also has run across some deer carcasses in the area, so I have no reason to doubt him.

Probably an isolated event, but kind of unnerving to say the least.

That really doesn't surprise me, I guess. Scary to think about, I always take my dog to a wooded area in the Northern Suburbs of Minneapolis, and let her run off leash. I may be getting my concealed carry permit here soon, if one of those wolves comes at my dog or myself, I will not hesitate to fire.....

I live a couple miles from St. Michael MN which is 30 miles NW of the Twin Cities. They have a large Community sports complex complete with baseball fields, soccer fields and wooded walking trails. I run my dogs off leash there quite often. Anyways, I met up with a guy walking his Golden the other day on the wooded trails. A few weeks ago he said he rounded a corner and there not 60 yards down the trail stood a Timber Wolf. :eek: I asked him if it could have been a large coyote as we have those around, and he said no... I know the difference. His dogs hair was standing straight up on his back as they (wolf and dog) stared at each other. The wolf took a couple steps in his direction and stopped. He said he did an about face and went the other direction. He called the DNR and they asked the same things as I "could it have been a coyote". He also has run across some deer carcasses in the area, so I have no reason to doubt him.

Probably an isolated event, but kind of unnerving to say the least.

WHo's afraid of the big bad wolfie, big bad wolfie. UPH members are afraid of the big bad wolfies:D Had to do it guys:)
I'm only scared of Minnasotaens migrating south:cheers:

It does not surprise me this guy saw that wolf. I swear I saw one here too a year ago deer hunting bust out from a Willow patch. He was not sticking around however, a loner. They have trouble with them 30 minutes or less north, so it is coming. Just hope season is on by then. That is crazy and not surprising the increase of attacks. They have said that the population is increasing by 4% each year, I think the # is far greater then what they tell us. They say for years that the population is roughly 3 thousand. Here it said maybe 3,500. 3 years ago. so lets go back 5 years to when they first said there is close to 3,000. x 4% = 120 x 5 = 600 per year. Now as the pop grows so does the numbers. In my math class every time I try 5x600= 3,000. I think it is getting close to growing by 1,000 per year. The reason for all the encounters and move south. So does this now mean we actualy have 5-6,000. I am in no way an expert, or have a clue if this is true. It is just a assumption. And we all know that does not hold water compared to expert study, air counts and honesty from the powers that be. But they are the ones that put these figures out in public. I doubt we are getting the whole story. I have a gut feeling the problem is getting much worse then we have been led to believe. How could they keep saying we have the same # all this time but then say it grows by $%:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :cool:It is time to let us manage our wild life on a state level and thats that........ I am looking forward to it. I think it will be a fun hunt. Exciting, and history making. It will come soon I believe.

Here is a map of a collared Wolf from Montana that traveled 3000 miles and found dead in Colorado from a banned poison, Compound 1080!!!!

341f_path_data.jpg

I'm mad:mad: We kind gentle sweet animal lovers are not tree huggers. We love nature and any thing that will destroy hunting of antlered animals. It's are right to be stupid and not want to control wolfies. We can buy the best lawyers with my daddies money and he don't care. He says I'll spend anything to shut me up:D Keep your stupid pets locked up if you don't want them killed it's that easy. God it's fun to be a sweet kind gentle animal lover:)

Coot, you don't know how close to right you really are.

I have a guy I have known for years, who's families ranch boarderd(as in past tens) Yellowstone park. They were forced to sell out and move the ranch. They refer to them as "Trust children". Filthy rich brats who's parents have them on a salary that comes out of a trust fund for them. They flourish in the Rocky Mountain states. Their rich parents are buying up mountain lands hand over fist. Here's poof of it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/04/AR2008070402772.html

Just one example of dozens

http://www.countryhomesofmontana.com/montana/index.cfm?detail=&inv_id=924978

Read on

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/article/175876718.html

They let the kids run around trying to save animals and protest. Well dad buys up the countryside. They are building valleys and building gated communities with trophy homes, private golf courses, ski hills. Some have the ski lift come right into their home. They don't even have to leave the house to get on the lift. Mountain land prices have went through the roof. Many of you would say the parents and kids ideas conflict. Well yes they do, but it all revolves around money and power. So the kids play in the woods out of daddy's hair, well dad see's opportunity and investments in millions of acres of rich in beauty exceedingly expensive property for the ultra rich. Sorry, hunting, logging and raising livestock, is not of importance. They can pen raise/feed lot live stock. the land is far too valuable to grass feed live stock on now. We can ship in timber from Canada and Alaska, no need for logging anymore. Hunting? it's a dieing sport. No need for investment into it's future. Less people doing it, means less profit. Wolves have eaten all the big game up anyways. That has assured the future of hunting in these areas

Mean while, the kids are off playing in the woods, saving the spotted owl, wolves, endangered flowers, Etc. It's kind of like day care for the rich, unemployed, young adult living on a trust fund larger then you or I will ever hope to make in our life time. From Ely Mn though out the upper northeast Mn BWCA/north shore boarder country is full of these same wacko trust fund environmentalist's. Believe it or not, dog sledders are among the worst in tree hugging wolf lovers and Mn is full of dog sledders up in that country. Funny, these dog sledders have fought the snowmobile trail system being connected to the Canadian trail system up in the far northeastern part of the arrowhead/north shore for years but they shut down the snowmobile trail for the dog sledders to run on it for the John Bear grease sled dog race from Grand Maria to Duluth. They don't want the trail in their beloved lands but it's marvelous for their beloved sled dog race. I say screw you, do as they did a 100 years ago. Pick your own way through the 4ft deep snow on a unbroke, unmarked trail and stay the hell off our snowmobile trail.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box. Sorry for the little side track..carry on.

Last edited:
Edited....

Last edited:
It is interesting how we as sportsman can take on a mentality of The "3 S's", Shoot, shovel and shut up! I find it interesting that we can use as and example a guy running cats with dogs,as a rallying point for kill all the wolves. Or the the couple of incidents of joggers in Cali being killed by mt. lions, as kill all the lions. Or in my area a yote killing a couple of dogs. Sometimes you take on nature and nature wins. It does nothing for our constant battle against anti hunting groups to give them ammunition with this form of "jethro" mentality. A couple of months ago a cougar was treed and killed by a couple of hunters a little ne of my house. When he was on t.v. almost crying because he claims this cougar was a threat to his kids. So he killed it. I seriously doubt a few random cougars will do us much harm. Do I think that the population should be held in check, absolutely. But this "kill them all" mentality is exactly what gave these activists the traction in the first place. If you want to track the decimation of deer and elk herds in the united states, you might want to first look at the effect that us humans on those same areas. It can't always be blamed on the big bad wolf. On another note, differing views should be encouraged on forums such as this. I personally learn more from others that have differing views than i do from others that have the same viewpoint. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back