Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that everyone here is talking about imminent danger. As in figuratively and actually in this case, "the wolf at the door". Nobody here wants to see wolves exterminated. Who doesn't get a chill at the howl of a distant wolf. I think distance is the issue. Livestock and wolves don't mix well. Wolves, unhunted or threatened are a dominant ecosystem predator, superior to even man. Quite possibly, very near an intellectual equal. Old middle age folklore becomes real very quickly. I doubt anyone wants to see wolves gone,nor do they want to see the neighbors 5 year old, dragged off either.

The stated recovery goal from the 1978 wolf plan for MN was 1251-1400 wolves by the year 2000. In 1989 the estimated population was 1550 to 1750. The winter of 2007-2008 the population was estimated at 2,192-3,525 wolves. In 1978 the contiggous wolf range was 36,500 sq km today it is over 88,000 sq km. The federal goverment let us down by not following the plan they put in place themselves. Well I don't advocate breaking the law I understand why people in wolf country are doing what they are doing. The wolf population is 2-3 times higher then the goals set forth in the recovery plan. If someone is caught killing a wolf there are serious reprecussions, but I believe the vast majority of people living in wolf country would agree that a season needs to be established on wolves.

As a side note, I know alot of farmers in SD that would trade pheasant hunting for a wolf hunt if they ever open it up again. So all you guys in the wolf range keep that in mind for the future. :)

The stated recovery goal from the 1978 wolf plan for MN was 1251-1400 wolves by the year 2000. In 1989 the estimated population was 1550 to 1750. The winter of 2007-2008 the population was estimated at 2,192-3,525 wolves. In 1978 the contiggous wolf range was 36,500 sq km today it is over 88,000 sq km. The federal goverment let us down by not following the plan they put in place themselves. Well I don't advocate breaking the law I understand why people in wolf country are doing what they are doing. The wolf population is 2-3 times higher then the goals set forth in the recovery plan. If someone is caught killing a wolf there are serious reprecussions, but I believe the vast majority of people living in wolf country would agree that a season needs to be established on wolves.

As a side note, I know alot of farmers in SD that would trade pheasant hunting for a wolf hunt if they ever open it up again. So all you guys in the wolf range keep that in mind for the future. :)

I found an article on the DNR web site stating there will most likely be a management program as early as next year, Sounds like they wanted it allready but red tape is holding things up with a touchy subject. I can understand that when you see how things get heated even on here in a new york minute. In reality they realy never have been in danger of extinction, there range was just cut off in the 48. There was still a whole lot of them left in parts of the US and north. I believe it is definatly time for a season.

Mr Know It All (oh I mean TMRichardson)

I posted the link to the data showing USDA kill and move rates. It is all there buddy on post #5 of this thread.

It is a great read and I assume about as factual as one can get. Also shows data on REPORTED wolf issues with livestock and dogs.

Wolves must be reduced via legal methods to the original goal of about 1700 animals in Minnesota. There is no need for any viable wolf packs to be running South of Hwy 2 / 200 line through MN.

Well TR it would be nice to know why they are supposedly not relocating them, when killing them is supposed to be against federal law and we find articles suggesting they do. Heck they released one in the news the other day in an area that should not have any, from a trap right next to Rochester. I think you are blowing this way out of proportion. Yes the wolf #'s were down in the US as you said, and to the people back then for good reasons. But at the same time what the animal rights activists don't say, is they were still heavily populated just across the border north and Alaska, which is also documented. The so called effort to bring them from the brink of extinction was a farce. And because of those actions the balance has now tipped to problems not to meantion the tax payers dollars thrown away for it for relocation costs in several states and reimbursments for damage. Therefore begging for management. The whole thing is a plain and simple bust and was a bad Idea. Simple

PS Wolf hunting has never stoped from what I see in Canada, where untill not that long ago had a bounty on them. They still harvest them in Alaska. I found documents that state Canada has 52,000-60,000 alone, hardly endangered. Want to leagaly hunt a Wolf near MN, just drive across the border.

Last edited:
To add, if else where why not here where we have the most... And more problems.

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission has set a quota of 220 wolves for the inaugural wolf hunting season, scheduled to begin next month.
Tags will go on sale Monday at 10 a.m. at Idaho Fish and Game offices, online and at private outdoor retailers. The cost is $11.75 for state residents and $186 for non-residents. All hunters must also possess an Idaho hunting license, which costs $12.75 for residents, $154.75 for non-residents.
The commission rejected a more aggressive option, which called for a quota of 430 wolves -- 49% of the state's wolf population.
Idaho joins Montana as one of the first Lower 48 states to legally participate in gray wolf hunts. Last month, the neighboring state set a quota of 75 wolves, with hunting season also scheduled to begin in September.
The plan continues to draw protests, though. Several lawsuits by environmental groups regarding the predators' removal from protection under the Endangered Species Act are pending, and could block the upcoming hunt.

"The heavy-handed wolf hunt now scheduled by Idaho, together with the hunt planned by Montana, demonstrates precisely the kind of irresponsible state management that should have precluded taking the wolf off the endangered species list at this point in time,” Defenders of Wildlife president Rodger Schlickeisen said in a statement.
In an article in the Spokane (Wash.) Spokesman-Review, Northern Idaho Wolf Alliance spokesman Stephen Augustine said, "We fear that under the guise of wolf management, what's about to happen is a wolf massacre."
"It is really astonishing that you could have an animal on the endangered species list at one point, and a bare five months later they're being hunted," said Augustine. "To my knowledge there isn't another animal that has had this happen to them."
-- Kelly Burgess

My son got his elk in Idaho the first 13 or 14 years he lived there. The last three, nothing. The reason, wolves.
What are people going to do when they are feed up and the problem gets worse?

I would love to voice my opinion but I learned my lesson the last time we had a thread on wolves:) The kind sweet gentle animal savers only want to save the animals not take our hunting or gun rights away from us. So leave them alone more wolves will do us all good just ask them they"ll tell you:)

Minnesota Wolves now in Missouri?

According to the Kansas City Star, a deer hunter on opening weekend shot what he thought was a "big" coyote. turned out to be a wolf. DNA testing is ongoing to determine origin. This is the second one since 2001. Other was radio collared, removing all doubt it was wild. Counties of contact Grundy, 2001, Carroll, 2010. Both North Central. I guess there's not enough timber in Iowa to hold 'em. Article on the Star web site, sports/outdoor section.

Feds kill pack of 'bold' wolves
Associated Press

TOMAH, Wis. - A federal agency has killed a pack of wolves in western Wisconsin because the animals were becoming too accustomed to humans.

The state Department of Natural Resources says the U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services has killed six wolves that had staked out a territory in Jackson, Monroe and Juneau counties.

DNR biologist Adrian Wydeven says the agency is looking for one or two more wolves from the pack, known as Bear Bluff. Wydeven says the wolves were showing a lack of fear toward people. He says no human has been attacked, but wolves from the pack have killed three dogs and injured four others this year.

Wydeven tells the La Crosse Tribune that once wolves lose their fear of humans, it's very difficult to change that behavior

I just hope it does not get to a point soon like Near Anchorage Alaska, where that young school teacher was killed while jogging. TR it is interesting when it is said there is not any moving of wolves in MN then state there has not been any moved in quite a while.:D

I found literature on line that said when the who ever's move them they have to take them 70 or more miles. It doesn't matter when they did it, it's just that they did. It is well known they have moved them to many areas such as Yellowstone Idaho etc. I am guessing when I suspect there is much we will not know about what they do with some animals. I read that the population is increasing in MN by 4% or so each year. I don't think they have used up there range either. They will adapt and run smaller woods and swamps, river bottoms etc. just as coyotes have. They will simply take over the yote range, which is every where. At least thats what I think anyway, if left going the way it is now. And that will not be a good thing. People in Rural MN have lived with the feeling of security for along time and can't be blamed for wanting to keep it that way.

Just to add another twig on the large dangerous predator where we don't expect them. Picture on the Kansas City Star website of the healthy young cougar sitting in a tree in the north of the Missouri river suburbs of Kansas City. Looks healthy, well fed, no doubt because of the burgeoning deer herd in the area. Not to worry though, despite this being the 11th confirmed cougar sighting in recent years, we are informed by the Missouri Dept. Of Conservation, that it's just a young male migrating through to somewhere else. The somewhere else is vague, since theoretically there aren't any official cougar populations for 600-700 miles. Still waiting for the MDC official ruling, (spin), on the wolf killed 60 miles down river.

Imagine that Senator Amy Klobuchar has now asked the fed to speed up the removal of the Gray wolf from the endangered species list in MN.
She goes on to talk about how they have become a danger to MN livestock, farmers, families, and our hunting industry. It's simple math and a problem that needs cleaning up. I hope for the actual front liners they get this done as soon as possible. It is on 5 Eye whitness news. And will air today sometime.

Last edited:
Just to add another twig on the large dangerous predator where we don't expect them. Picture on the Kansas City Star website of the healthy young cougar sitting in a tree in the north of the Missouri river suburbs of Kansas City. Looks healthy, well fed, no doubt because of the burgeoning deer herd in the area. Not to worry though, despite this being the 11th confirmed cougar sighting in recent years, we are informed by the Missouri Dept. Of Conservation, that it's just a young male migrating through to somewhere else. The somewhere else is vague, since theoretically there aren't any official cougar populations for 600-700 miles. Still waiting for the MDC official ruling, (spin), on the wolf killed 60 miles down river.

On the cougar note, while out deer hunting last weekend a friend of mine saw one camped out right under his stand for about an hour and a half. Freaked him out, he got a few pics of it, but just like in your case the KDWP said that there aren't any cougars in the area :rolleyes:

Easy answer, I'm sure KDWP and MDC probably think it's the same cat. Remember what Grandma said about rats, if you see one there are hundreds!

BYE BYE wolves

Finally a state has stood up to the sweet kind gentle animal lovers:thumbsup: Montana Governor kill the wolves in some valley and hunt packs that kill livestock:10sign: They finally figured out that the sweet kind gentle animal lovers will never control the population so their going to do it:thumbsup: I tried to post the article but I had no luck. If someone would be so kind to find the news article and post it that would be awesome:cheers: Seen it on TV last night and googled wolve news and found the article. How long before they lock this thread?
I look at these sweet kind gentle animal lovers the same as I look at them worthless pieces of S*#@ that wished US troops to die during war. SORRY BUT THATS JUST THE WAY I FEEL:) Stick that in your pipe and smoke it:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back