WIHA hunting

airmedic1

I've read that hunting in Kansas in the WIHA areas isn't all that good. I beg to differ:
Tuesday, 2 roosters and 3 quail, 2 hours
Wednesday, 4 roosters, 2.2 hours
Thursday, 4 roosters, 2.2 hours
All of this on WIHA. My dogs and I hunted hard but saw lots of birds.

Pics to follow:

Timing is everything. All the casual warm weather visitors have gone home, and put up their guns. Weather now forcing the birds into heavier cover. Best time off the year! Don't tell anybody!!!

!

I've read that hunting in Kansas in the WIHA areas isn't all that good. I beg to differ:

Pics to follow:

Sure don't invite anyone... you Airmedic people are all alike.... bogarts ;)

Pics to follow:

good to hear:10sign::thumbsup::cheers:

Glad you had a good one airmedic - hope we get a chance to meet up in the rooster-fields one day! :cheers:

It's killin me not to be out there in that fresh snow tomorrow a.m.!!! Y'all Lucky Dawgs don't rub it in too hard... :D

Wiha

I'm in Meade now. I hunted all WIHA today, saw two roosters, 4 quail. My first season GSP outran her nose and bumped the first rooster too far out. My lab found the second, and I missed. Easy meatball shot, and I missed... three times.

i'm hunting tomorrow and Wed. I hope my aim is better.

I'm in Meade now. I hunted all WIHA today, saw two roosters, 4 quail. My first season GSP outran her nose and bumped the first rooster too far out. My lab found the second, and I missed. Easy meatball shot, and I missed... three times.

i'm hunting tomorrow and Wed. I hope my aim is better.

RJT,

Do you have any snow to work with down there? If not, you may want to consider driving far enough N to hunt in snow BEFORE it crusts over. The only thing more challenging than a warm weather pheasant hunt is a crusty snow pheasant hunt. They can hear you coming from a mile away. If I were in your shoes, I would get a good snow hunt in while you have the chance.

Bet ya get one today. I know you can shoot, I've witnessed it myself:)

How much further north from Meade would you have to go to get into the snow? I am headed up to meade this afternoon and don't know where the snow is in the area right now.

Meade hunt

Yeah I had good success (for a rookie hunter with a rookie dog on wild birds) in Meade right after Christmas. Glad RJT is getting some good action. I had a few easy shots I missed too. Must be something about Meade! hahaha. Great times and I can't wait to go back next season!

@KB: You got that right on the crusty snow biz!!! :eek:

Hit the Cap'n Crunch/Rice Krispies stuff last time out (and looks like that's exactly what I'll run into IF I get a chance out this time around too). Think I would ALMOST rather stay home, except for not gettin to hunt much at all these days & beggars can't be choosers...

@KB: You got that right on the crusty snow biz!!! :eek:

Hit the Cap'n Crunch/Rice Krispies stuff last time out (and looks like that's exactly what I'll run into IF I get a chance out this time around too). Think I would ALMOST rather stay home, except for not gettin to hunt much at all these days & beggars can't be choosers...

There shouldn't be a heavy crust on this snow for at least a few days. It's blowing, and staying pretty cold during the day. Average high across the Northern part of the state tomorrow is 15 degrees.

RJT,

Do you have any snow to work with down there? If not, you may want to consider driving far enough N to hunt in snow BEFORE it crusts over. The only thing more challenging than a warm weather pheasant hunt is a crusty snow pheasant hunt. They can hear you coming from a mile away. If I were in your shoes, I would get a good snow hunt in while you have the chance.

Bet ya get one today. I know you can shoot, I've witnessed it myself:)

Didn't get the chance today. Birds were holding great, unfortunately it was all hens. About 12 total. Hitting the fields out on the western county line around Kismet tomorrow morning/early afternoon, then heading out.

Still snow on the ground, though not that much. It's still flakey and dry. Was very little wind today.

Yeah I had good success (for a rookie hunter with a rookie dog on wild birds) in Meade right after Christmas. Glad RJT is getting some good action. I had a few easy shots I missed too. Must be something about Meade! hahaha. Great times and I can't wait to go back next season!

Uh oh fellas....I think there may be an epidemic, but not just in Meade.....this strange "C1 MIS1" flu got ahold of me out near Dodge during the opener!!! I would strongly suggest all resident KS pellet slingers stay home next year to make sure you don't catch it! Heck, I still haven't fully recovered! :D

Last edited:
Back