Wash Your Vest

oscar

I am getting ready as I leave for SD next week. I went to pack my vest and thought it looked a bit dirty. I put it in the machine and it came out 10 shades oranger. I also found some feathers in the machine, so don't tell my wife.

I wash everything BUT my vest. :laugh:

The blood, mud, rips, and fade on your vest tells a story. Washing the vest would be like erasing all that history. Nope, I can't do that!!! :cheers:

And there went the earned good karma. One NEVER washes game vests, favorite hats, or lucky shirts/sweatshirts. Such things are badges of honor & full of character.

I've got one of those strap vests with a couple of really deep pockets. Not much surface area to get dirty and it's nylon, so all I do is shake debris out of the pockets and grab some more shells and keep going.

david0311

I am getting ready as I leave for SD next week. I went to pack my vest and thought it looked a bit dirty. I put it in the machine and it came out 10 shades oranger. I also found some feathers in the machine, so don't tell my wife.

Read this as my wife is washing cloths from my first S.D. trip--caught it for leaving stuff in my pockets--she has a new machine from previous error--see below:eek:

At least you didn't leave 209 primers from your training pistol in your pockets--that got into the machinery some how----wife loves her new washer:rolleyes:

By the way she will know--

Yep, now you have to burn it and bury it to get rid of the mojo voodoo...!!!

I haven't washed my WingWorks, but in the past I've always washed my regular hunting vests at the end of the season. But that's just me, I'm kind of a neat/clean freak.

Washing a new vest several times is a fine idea...especially with Filsons.
Otherwise, it's nice just to be able to stand vests, hunting pants, et al in a corner.

I chose to wash my vest as I did not get it new. I got it from a very good friend who is now too old and ill to hunt. I had worn it a year or 2 and had no attachments to any spots on it. Now that it is clean, I can add my own history to it.

when my pants or vest are new i will wash them before i wear them, and thats it, it helps save soap and water, im a conservitive:cheers:

In college I lived in a fraternity. We had a room in the basement with storage cabinets lining the walls. Guys kept a lot of their rarely used stuff in there. One spring it started to get seriously rank in there. After a thorough investigation it was found that one of the guys forgot a quail in his vest. :eek:

In college I lived in a fraternity. We had a room in the basement with storage cabinets lining the walls. Guys kept a lot of their rarely used stuff in there. One spring it started to get seriously rank in there. After a thorough investigation it was found that one of the guys forgot a quail in his vest. :eek:

We were out dove hunting one day and I dropped a bird in the creek. JP ran down and found it (or so I thought), delivered it to me and I stuck it in my vest. A few minutes later I start to smell something nasty turns out the bird he delivered to me must have been a few days old, damn dog.:D

I washed my vest only once.

That was three weeks after I had gone quail hunting and missed one of those little buggers in the corner of my game bag. I "found" it after driving 4 hours in the car and opening the trunk to a smell that nearly floored me.:eek:

I have not..and will not wash any of my hunting clothes ever (minus underwear and socks)..the blood..the dirt..the burs..the smell..are all memories and pride). I have a hanger in my garage..I take em off and hang em up there until I am ready to hit the field/swamp again.

Only two reasons to ever wash a vest:

1.) Skunk
2.) Wife makes you (or does it with out you knowing)

There are no other reason that I can fathom.

Back