To an old dog and her owner - an apology

crockett

I expect you are not a member here, but I want to apologize to you anyways, because I've been feeling bad about the way that I acted yesterday. Near the end of my hunt, as I rounded the stand of oaks by the river, I heard you shoot, and looked up just in time to see you knock down a fine rooster. I also saw him jump up and run over the bank, as you scattered another shot into the ground behind him.
I whistled my dog back to heel, so as not to interfere, and leaned on an oak tree and watched you run to the bank to join your yellow lab in the search for that bird. Looking back now, the urgency of your gait as you ran to the bank should have told me that your dog may not be up to the challenge. As I leaned there, I expect that you knew that you were being watched. I hope that you didn't feel uncomfortable, because that was not my intent. The third time that I saw you come up the bank, birdless, I broke open my shotgun, hooked it over my shoulder to be clear of my intentions, and walked toward you with a wave.
As I approached, I saw the heavy lumps on your dog's ribcage, and the slightly pained crinkle in her ears as she limped along, so I could tell that she was an old warrior. The bank that bird had jumped was no picnic, and even my 7-year old lab had to pick her way gingerly through the brush to get down. She descended the bank all the way to the river and then hooked downstream, hot on the scent. I walked the bank, watching her work the bird. By the time she caught it and came back up the bank I was 100 yards away from you. I took the bird from her - a fine one, and walked back. I know that I puffed my chest out, squared my shoulders, and swaggered all the way back to where you waited. I'm proud of my dog, as we all are, and nothing gives me more pleasure than for other hunters to see her work effectively. I make no apologies for that. But when I handed you the bird and you looked so uncomfortable, I realized that my immodest swagger was both unnecessary and unkind to a hunter enjoying one of his last hunts over an older dog. But it was too late. I could see then that the flush in your cheek was not only from exertion. But you thanked me so politely, and then mumbled a few things about her being past her prime, that she'd had her day, and that you guessed she'd not got too many hunts left in her. Well, my friend, that last one sure took the swagger out of my walk. If I could take it back, I'd have been a lot more modest about it. I wish now that I had thought to say something sympathetic about the unfairness of gun dogs' short lifespans, or asked you to recount some tales of her hunts during her glory days. I wish I had at least scratched her ears. I'm sorry. If you come upon Ruby and I walking the fields, sometime down the road when she's the one limping along on arthritic joints with failing senses, I hope that you and your new pup will be more gracious to us than we were to you yesterday. All the best to you and Jesse this season.
-Croc

Last edited:
You're a good man Croc...from someone who's also past his prime! I hope that day comes for both of you to meet again...

Thats a great post! This is the first year in 10 that my buddy wont be with me. We have some ashes to spread in the great state of SD.

Croc,
I am sure he understood your actions, he probably could remember when he like you was proud of his dog, it is always hard to accept the fact that your dogs hunting are close to the end, I am sure he was appreciative of your great dog work and another bird for the game bag that we would not have gotten with out you and you shouls be proud of that, heck he may have bragged about you to some friends or wife after the reality of what happened sets in. You were just proud of your pup and the fact that it bothers you about what happens only shows that you are a human.

Great story, and a great reminder to all of us with dogs! The best compliment we can receive is the unsolicited one that says someone appreciates your dogs and their work. Good reminder to me this fall. Thanks again.

Croc thank you for the post, I pray that I may always be as humble as you my friend. You truly place things in perspective, we all age but to do so with grace is all anyone can ask for, even our pups! May you have a great hunting season.

Well done, Sir. I'd hunt with you or tip a few with you any time . . . eh . . . very well done.

i'm sure he'd understand

very nice post and a great reminder to all of us. i hunt with 3 great dogs. one old warrior 12 one in his prime and one catching on fast learning from the others:thumbsup:. :cheers:

I hope this posting makes you feel better about your behavior,but it's a bit disingeuous after the fact.A humble man doesn't have to remind himself to remain that way.

On further thought, I would suggest you send that post or those thoughts in to a magazine such as PDJ, or that ilk, to be considered for publication in some section of the magazine.
The words and feeling behind them deserve a wider audience.
Most folks will take the words you offer in the correct spirit...others?...matter little.

Man I read this this morning and it sure hit home. It takes a big man to recognize a shortcoming, and an even larger one to admit it to others. I hunted with my buddy and his 13 yr old lab all weekend. It was awesome to see him make a few retrieves. I tried to temper my excitement with my young dog and his hard work, i could tell he was sad over seasons past.

Geez, Croc. You've about got me in tears here reading that. I've gone through a few of those old dogs in my lifetime and thinking of each one at that stage in their lives leaves a lump in my throat.

Here's to that fellow and his old dog! And to Cindy, Jinx, Mandy, Jinx II, Molly, and to Major, who died too young.

Croc,

Great post. I am glad I read it. And it did give me a lump in my throat, too. We have all watched a good dog on it's last legs, heart full in it, but legs wobbly, eyes dim, gait slow. I am glad you realized your error and know you will be a better man for it.

And ignore ranchodeluxe, that was a BS reply in my opinion. Nothing wrong with having a small epiphany that alters us, maybe forever.

I think your swagger was earned, not in bad taste, and that your encounter was in keeping with your kind nature. Everything you did was right. :)

Back