To an old dog and her owner - an apology

great post, those that think they are perfect and stand in judgement of others.......well, we know better.:thumbsup:

Croc,

Great post. I am glad I read it. And it did give me a lump in my throat, too. We have all watched a good dog on it's last legs, heart full in it, but legs wobbly, eyes dim, gait slow. I am glad you realized your error and know you will be a better man for it.

And ignore ranchodeluxe, that was a BS reply in my opinion. Nothing wrong with having a small epiphany that alters us, maybe forever.

At least he didn't kick the dog,is that better?

Rancho

Maybe you mis-spoke. There was nothing disingenuous about Croc's posting. Disingenuous is defined as "lacking in frankness, candor or sincerity". I don't think anyone here would accuse him of that. In fact, his posting has all the hallmarks of the exact opposite, being full of frankness, candor and sincerity. So, not sure what you meant to say, but if you did indeed intend to accuse Croc of being disingenuous, then I believe you are wrong and probably owe him an apology. Or nothing.

I think we all take things for granted. Great post. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Last edited:
I agree with kojack48.

Rancho you need to look in the mirror and judge yourself as you judge others.

It takes a big man to write that post and admit his mistake. We all are guilty of the same or equal behavior at some point.

I feel for the guy with the old dog. I know exactly how he feels. My old Lab Cooper went on his last bird hunts this Fall, at 12 he still loves the hunt and is excited about the birds.
I took him out daily on short walks, he brought tears to my eyes to see how tired and sore he is, such an energetic tireless dog in his prime.
My 3 year old does everything Cooper did in His prime. We should all remember that our energetic pups will get old, sore and tired.
Good post, should make us all think.

I agree with kojack48.

Rancho you need to look in the mirror and judge yourself as you judge others.

It takes a big man to write that post and admit his mistake. We all are guilty of the same or equal behavior at some point.

Well,I never miss the opportunity to scratch the ears of any dog,let alone an old one, and don't feel that feigned modesty after the fact,is sincere.It's simply begging for others to tell you how cool you are so you can feel better about the fact that you acted like an ass.Firstly,he should have asked the dog's owner IF he wanted help instead of interjecting himself without being asked.The man may have been happy to let his old dog look for that bird all day.Clearly the man was interacting with a dog that has alot more hunts behind her,than in front and he interrupted that interaction,unsolicited.I guarantee you that under the same circumstances,if it were me and you ruined my hunt with your swagger(ego),your new hero would have walked away with his ears ringing.I don't feel the need to tell him how cool he is. y'all can carry on with that while I head to the local shelter for my weekly visit.Remember that you all took the opportunity to judge him as well.I just happen to judge his actions differently and yes I find his actions,before and after,disingeuous.

....It's simply begging for others to tell you how cool you are so you can feel better about the fact that you acted like an ass......

Somewhat the same as a person taking the polar opposite view to seperate themselves from the majority as indicative of being somehow more...knowing and honest.
IE, begging by hope and implication....a la a "shelter" visit.

Actually, the meaning or intent behind the OP's words are less important than putting the words and thoughts out there.
To think any positive comments were more about telling the OP how "cool" he was rather than personally understanding and relating to an incident says more about the self-focused nature of any who choose squeal "disingenuous" when they read a post.
Often, the words in a post can be valued best simply for making us think.

My dad used to tell me " son if someone tells you you got a tail, tell them to go to hell. If two people tell you it's time to turn around and look." Keep up the fight Rancho. I personally have made too many mistakes in my life to try to figure out the sincerity of others.

My dad used to tell me " son if someone tells you you got a tail, tell them to go to hell. If two people tell you it's time to turn around and look." Keep up the fight Rancho. I personally have made too many mistakes in my life to try to figure out the sincerity of others.

Did you feel the need to proclaim all your mistakes to the world in order for others to say "See,He really is a good guy"Or were you able to look inside,realize the error of your ways,then learn and grow?

Rancho

Rancho, this forum is here for hunters to share their experiences. Good and bad. We have all had good days afield, and bad days afield. We've all had days when everything we shot at fell. I actually had 3 doubles last year, one on quail. First time in almost 50 years of bird hunting. I also had a couple days I thought I was shooting blanks, couldn't hit a thing.

And we've all made mistakes in life. I have two adult children that are wonderful human beings...not because their old man didn't blow it a time or three while they were growing up. And most of the time I was willing to go to them and say, hey, sorry, the old man blew it there, lost my temper, took out some crap at work that was bothering me on you, or your mother. My bad. That is what being human is all about. We make mistakes, we reflect on our mistakes and we hopefully learn and change. Apparently I was being disingenuous with my children all along. I will have to call them and set the record straight.

Apparently in your world there are no mistakes or no room for reflection on those mistakes. Any attempt at introspection is disingenuous.

And there's the difference between you and Croc. He f*cked up. And he recognized it. Read his words...as soon as he handed the bird to the unknown hunter he realized his mistake. His feelings for the old dog are palpable. We, I and most of the other folks posting here, recognize his genuine remorse. You see it as a disingenuous ploy. I don't think you could be more wrong.

If this is truly your attitude, and you don't just feel backed into a corner, I feel sorry for those close to you. There is apparently no room in your world for mistakes and repentance.

Somewhat the same as a person taking the polar opposite view to seperate themselves from the majority as indicative of being somehow more...knowing and honest.
IE, begging by hope and implication....a la a "shelter" visit.

Actually, the meaning or intent behind the OP's words are less important than putting the words and thoughts out there.
To think any positive comments were more about telling the OP how "cool" he was rather than personally understanding and relating to an incident says more about the self-focused nature of any who choose squeal "disingenuous" when they read a post.
Often, the words in a post can be valued best simply for making us think.

I take the polar opposite view because I see sticking your nose in another man's business as what it is,intrusive.I have been in the same exact situation and ettiquette calls for asking,"Would you like me to put my dog on it?"Not for assuming your "swagger",or even your presence, are desired. Admittedly his mea culpa was elegantly written.Doesn't make intruding where you weren't asked,or trying to clean it up with the Universe an honorable act. It's not that I am neccessarily more knowing or honest,maybe just more private?Intruding on another man's hunt is akin to touching another man's woman,or worse,his motorcycle.
When you put it out there,you may have to deal with my opinion.That's all it is,you are free to decide that it's wrong.

Rancho

One last thing. You quote Jimmy Buffet in your signature. Read those words. Looks like Jimmy is probably being disingenuous.:p

Well done Croc!

This story reminds me of my Father in Laws Springer that was laid to rest a few seasons ago. His struggle was internal and I believe he was tormented by the idea of replacing his hunting partner that he loved so much. Much like your experience in the field, he felt that by getting a new pup he would steal from the glory of his previous dog. It took him three seasons after she passed to even consider finding a new partner. There is not a hunt that goes by that he does not mention her, even though his new pup is one heck of a pheasant dog.

We all get very excited when in the field and your actions were warranted but it takes a kind spirit to realize the complexity of your situation. Thank you for sharing.

Bless me Father,for I have sinned...

I had impure thoughts.....
I smoked some pot......
I stole some peanut butter.....

There's a few more Buffet words for ya.They seemed appropriate for the situation.

The guy is freakin' Mother Theresa,alright?

Back