The quail hound lost his mind!

Not hard to find when her momma was one of my puppies. She sure looks good! Funny how California really isn't that far removed these days!

A little run today, Lady's 3rd pigeon. She pointed from about 10yds off and only moved one back paw as she held for over 2 mins before I decided not to press my luck and flushed her bird for her! Very excited about this dog.

Let's see if this video works. Click on the pic and it will take you to Lady's video. The last two birds she chased but this one I think she didn't because that field the bird flew over is full of foxtail and is off limits for her.

Last edited:
Lady continues to impress. This evening she pointed a pigeon from 25+ yds off! I thought it must have moved off from where I planted it but when I went in to flush lo and behold there it waseems right where I left it, head still tucked.

Took Lady for a run through her first real cover today and while she's no springer in the brush busting department she did impress with her willingness to go into cover for her first outing. She also had a point on her first wild quail.

And she goes into the river without coaxing.

It's time for us to move on to some gun intro.:cheers:

Robert, how old is your setter now? She is certainly ahead of my Brittany pup that is 10 months. But then I didn't get her until she was 6 months old so she got a late start. I'm sending her to a trainer in mid June for 5 weeks.

Hey Robert-

What a fine looking dog! When do you introduce those wily SD roosters? Perhaps have some shipped in to Calif. or meet us again for another round in SD.

Thanks guys!

Lady is 5 1/2 months old now and getting along great in the house with the other dogs. She won't run with the springers at all this year, we'll just be working on making an honest birddog of her this season and shooting some pointed birds over her.

Jon, I hope to make it out this year.:cheers:

FLDBRED, I know... madness!:D

Lady found some more quail this evening. Four birds just to her right on top of the dirt birm. We also keep hearing a couple roosters crowing on the other side of the river, we're going to see if we can get permission to run over there soon.

I figured it would! Getting the nose involved and getting wild birds always helps! Once they get a chance to get feathers in their mouth, it'll raise the stakes as well! Congrats!!!!

One thing I still haven't got used to after about 12 yrs of only having jack Russell's and springers is the weaponized tail.:eek: That thing never stops!

Back