The quail hound lost his mind!

We've experienced a set back. Lady was bitten by a rattler in my backyard last night. I've lived in this area for almost 20yrs and have never seen one around here in all that time so I'm convinced the snake hitched a ride on my truck or boat trailer from the lake yesterday. She's still at the ER now but recovering well and should come home today. A freak occurrence, Lady was scheduled to start her vaccine at her next vet appointment and we were going to an avoidance class before season starts.

Dam buzz worms. hope she recovers soon. There seems to be lots of snakes this year, run into several already.

Hope she keeps moving forward in her recovery. Dang serpents have been making our lives miserable since the beginning of time!

I've kept you all in suspense too long. Lady is doing great and is coming along nicely as a bird dog. She's had a few mountain quail shot over her now and is pointing quite well.

Good looking dog, Robert - looks like she's getting the hang of it.

How are your plans for a trip east shaping up?

I hope she's been through avoidance training...you had me worried. You post she's bitten, then go silent. Jeez.

Say what you will about Wisconsin's weather, we keep our few poisonous little rattlers over by the hills along the Mississippi.

Have a great season, hear?

What a sweetheart of a pup.

Kis- Sorry about that, it was inconsiderate not updating you guys but she recovered very fast.

Jonny- We're leaving next Saturday. Lady is green and JP has a touch of arthritis so we'll see how it goes.

Troy- Will do, here's a point on mountain quail.

View attachment 7497

Not this year George. I'm heading up to Minnesota to grouse hunt.

I've kept you all in suspense too long. Lady is doing great and is coming along nicely as a bird dog. She's had a few mountain quail shot over her now and is pointing quite well.

Robert, noticed in the photo of Lady that your TT15 collar has the re-charging contacts points facing forward. Probably not a big deal but I put the collar on with those to the back and the on/off light to the front. Saves those contact points from getting dinged up.

Robert, noticed in the photo of Lady that your TT15 collar has the re-charging contacts points facing forward. Probably not a big deal but I put the collar on with those to the back and the on/off light to the front. Saves those contact points from getting dinged up.

Good eye! I wondered why it was hanging off of her funny that day.

Love that top pic.
Looks like you are having a great time up there.

Thank you, getting a long legged pup to hold still long enough for a picture is a task lol. We had a great time in Minnesota despite the very warm weather and, by all accounts, low bird numbers. We definitely found enough birds to keep it interesting.

View attachment 7596

Lady has 4 species down. I can't wait to see this pup really come on, she surely deserves a much better trainer than I am.

Her training didn't fail on those 2 birds! Keep her in birds and the training will take care of itself!

Back