The quail hound lost his mind!

`Quailhound?

You just have to buy and read JENNY WILLOW, by Mike Gaddis.

An excerpt from a review:
"Instead of a good dog story, I got a GREAT dog story, indeed, one of the best dog stories I've ever read, and you will not hear me gush much about any book, fiction or otherwise.."

Jenny Willow is a female English Setter. This is the story of her hunting, and her owners, and of the owner/dog relationship.

Betcha a shiny nickel you will love it.

Kis

I will check it out Kis. :cheers:

Yes, it is a good read ... I was mowing in the tractor on the vineyard one day and got thinking about bird dog books ... how alot of the paragraphs are observations of the leaf drop; that breeze that can come through the vegetation like a sneaky cat; the dog with its nose in the air and that look in their eyes and so on ... we all know it and I guess it all is what we crave during the Spring and Summer months ... :)

Lady tracked this rooster over 100yds through the stubble before pinning him for me. Proud moment for sure.

View attachment 7695

Yesterday Lady pointed her first wild rooster and today she pointed her first limit. Tomorrow it gets tough, limit go's to three and we'll be hunting close to home where the birds aren't so plentiful.

View attachment 7698

It was very warm and dry Monday which made the hunting tough. Lady pointed 2 covies of quail and many singles from both covies. She also had a point that produced eight hen pheasants and as they were flushing two roosters ran and flushed out the end just out of range. I wish I could upload the video of her on a covey but I can't get it to load.

Lady pointing a single.

View attachment 7720

Big covey (50 or so) in the hemlock, quail love this stuff.

View attachment 7721

Smaller covey here in the rabbit brush.

View attachment 7722

Last edited:
Watching the learning process is magic, isn't it? :D

Each venture out is new knowledge, stored information, modifying earlier lessons, and sensitivities to sights, sounds and smells that no human can ever capture.

Your dog is a gift to you. Strive to deserve it.

:thumbsup:

You're so right Kis, she is a gift. Troy just happened to give me a tip on a litter not far from me and I was allowed to pick the only female left in the litter. She's such a good dog.

Lady had a wonderful point today pinning a rooster against a flooded ditch between her and myself. Hunting has been tough the last few times out but Lady never slacks off no matter how far apart the finds are. 18+ miles while splitting field time with JP and never letting off.

View attachment 7773

View attachment 7774

Lady did 21 miles today on a single walk and had points on two covies of chukar, a few singles, and a covey of quail. A better shot would've had at least three chukar but I'm happy to have connected on Lady's 8th species today.

View attachment 8022

Back