The Best Upland Hunting Jacket

brookieslayer

Hey all! I am sort of a newbie here and I am looking for some help with the selection of a new later season upland hunting jacket. Please chime in here and give me your opinions! All are worth hearing.

Thanks in Advance.

I really like my Cabela's 8 in 1. It's on sale now too on the website. It goes all the way from just a vest to a fleece insulated jacket.

I really like my Cabela's 8 in 1. It's on sale now too on the website. It goes all the way from just a vest to a fleece insulated jacket.

Second on the 8 in 1. I am on about my 4th year and the jacket is holding up great. For a rather inexpensive jacket it seems really well made.

For cold weather hunting, I prefer to wear a quality fleece jacket over 2-3 layers of shirts. I don’t need anything more than that as long as my head, hands and feet are warm.

I've got a Cabela's blaze strap vest. It goes over t-shirts, flannel shirts, light jackets, or heavy coats.

From 30-50 degrees I have a Cabela's upland jacket that has a windstopper lining in it, blaze shoulders and blaze sleeves. Temps above 50 I just wear various shirts. Below 30 and I'll either layer up with some fleece under the jacket, or pull out the various levels of Carhart.

JMB, what about fleece and the burrs and such?
Excellent question Chris!

I always hunt in stilts.

OK, the truth is that I do have to do a little deburring of my fleece jackets from time to time but I can't stand bulky coats. ;)

I haven't worn a jacket this year yet, other than a light weight one when it rained, I use a strap vest and don't need a heavy coat, but I do have a Browning PF shell coat. I do wear it if it gets down around zero and windy but It's heavy with the junk in it. I might need it this weekend.
There's one in the classifieds 50 bucks good deal.

http://www.basspro.com/Browning®-Upland-Canvas-Jacket-for-Men/product/94925/-1383925

i looked at this coat looks like i may have to invest in one here soon..i do like the looks of it..

I have one similar the sleeves don't come off, as I said before I don't wear a coat very often anymore because of my strap vest, I do like how easy it is to put the birds in the game bag openings comes right to the front.

I prefer to wear a vest and that way I can easier adjust what I wear under it depending on the weather. In the early season I wear a WingWorks strap vest and about this time of year I switch to my Cabelas Upland Traditional vest. I perspire a lot and dress in layers so I can adjust on the fly.

I prefer to wear a vest and that way I can easier adjust what I wear under it depending on the weather. In the early season I wear a WingWorks strap vest and about this time of year I switch to my Cabelas Upland Traditional vest. I perspire a lot and dress in layers so I can adjust on the fly.

yes I bought the WW last year and I haven't had it off yet, its about 15-20deg. lately, I do have a regular vest I have used, but usually now just training, it has lots of pockets, but compared to the WW vest it makes it seem I'm caring rocks in it. I'm trying to get out to ND again but my wife wants me to wait on this snow, I could already be half way there, I think its going to be below zero out there after the snow not sure what I'LL WEAR.

Just my opinion but I have had jackets from Cabelas, PF and bass pro and was not a fan of any of them but I love my Columbia Ptarmigan (available at Cabelas) jacket with zip in liner. I have never gotten cold in it with the liner a long sleeve T and long john top on. Very heavy duty but light weight. Waterproof and wind resistant and if I do have a complant it can get too hot so I wear it mostly in the morning and switch to a vest in the afternoon. I have had it for 4 years and it has held up great.

Ignore my post above. Looks like columbia changed the design of the coat and it's not the same. I don't know how the new one performs at all. Just like everything else when you find something you really like they have to change the design. Can't they just leave great alone?

I counted the other day and I have seven coats and seven vests. I've been on a quest to find the perfect one.
For the money it's pretty hard to beat the Cabela's 8-1 coat at $49.95. I have one but only wear it when it's really cold.
I have been wearing a Mother vest with a Browning windstopper coat and that kept me comfortable today at 11*F.
I've tried just about everything and if I could combine the attributes of several of them I would have a great thing.

For the money it's pretty hard to beat the Cabela's 8-1 coat at $49.95.
You guys convinced me to give this coat a try, so I ordered one yesterday. Seems like a bargain at $59.95. I like that fact that it has a front/rear loading game bag and an inner fleece jacket that's removable.

You guys convinced me to give this coat a try, so I ordered one yesterday. Seems like a bargain at $59.95. I like that fact that it has a front/rear loading game bag and an inner fleece jacket that's removable.

I just got mine in the mail I like it, the only thing I would change is make the coat tail a little longer for people who have a longer torso like me, but other than that I think it will do the job. :thumbsup:

I agree. I have this same upland coat, I got it for $54.99 a couple years ago.

:cheers:

I've got the Cabela's "ultimate upland vest" (can't recall what it's actually called, it may be "ultimate gundog vest"). Either way, the game bag was terrible. It had openings at the front for some odd reason, and I lost a few quail out of it before finally sewing it shut myself.

This fall, I decided to use my birthday money to purchase a new vest. I bought a Pella Bird 'n Lite Strap Vest. I've been happy with it so far. It really does tend to distribute weight as advertised, as I've used it deer hunting a few times this year, with quite a bit of gear in it.

There is a review on the Cabela's website where some guy is bashing the vest because he found it difficult to place a bird in the game bag. If you have the straps cinched tight, I could see the issue, if you didn't unbutton the game bag! However, the game bag is easily accessible when you have the buttons undone.

I decided to get a strap vest this time around, for warm season openers, and so I could layer up in cold weather later in the year. The vest adjusts to accommodate even my heaviest Carhartt with ease.

i love my cabelas 8-1 jacket..ive wore it miltimple different ways depending on the weather, its easy to change it up to how u want between fields.

Back