The Best Upland Hunting Jacket

Cabela's gore-tex upland guidewear coat...

I finally wrenched open my wallet and shelled out the $200 for this (it's on sale now for $150) and glad I did. It's held up remarkably well against all the thorns and brambles I go through. The liner breathes well and it keeps me dry and warm. Most important it stops the wind which is what chilled me the most up north.

Now if I could just find a vest I like....

Looks good....

It has the things I look for in an upland coat. Articulated elbows, high collar, zipper and snaps and velcro cuffs. A good test is load it up with everything you'd carry in the field (shells, snacks, dog leash, water for dog and you, and about 3 pounds in the back to mimic a pheasant in the game bag) and then make sure you can mount your shotgun easily.

I haven't seen one in person but the great thing about Cabela's is I've never had a hassle returning anything. If it doesn't fit right or it doesn't look like the outer shell is going to hold up to abuse you can always return it. Hope this helps.

Depending on what size you wear, Sierra trading post has them on sale.

I bought a Wing Works strap vest a couple years ago. It is really outstanding. When its warm you wear a light shirt under it, and you can carry plenty of water for the dogs.

When it is cold. I put on a wool shirt over a couple of other shirts and I am good to go down to zero. Colder than that I just add a layer.

The Bird-n-lite jacket works great for me,it has a weight bearing system that works really well and chamois shirt with my Quail Unlimited vest when it is warmer, hot, just a t-shirt and the vest...

Another vote for the Pella Bird-n-lite jacket and vest. I have a bad back and the suspension system really helps out.

Bird N Lite is what I use and I really like it. It has held up very well and is very comfortable once the straps are set right.

I have the Cabelas 8-in-1 upland coat and it works well. I had an issue with wet arms but cut out the nylon lining of the sleeves and the problem is solved. It is normally to warm to wear it with the liner in it. I wore it last year in 12 degree weather without the liner and was fine. Zippered pockets would be nice.

Upland birds jacket

Depending on your weather and price point I would look at Sitkas open country line. I'm in Oregon so I use the Coldfront jacket. I'ts Gore-tex so I'm dry and it breaths well when I get to hot. It's spendy but a great jacket.

Late season (once it hits below 20) I love my Under Armor Skysweeper under a Scheels speed loader vest. Blocks the wind and is very warm for how thin it is. I tried using it above 20 and I ended up sweating my A$$ off.

As a couple other people have mentioned I like to have on a few layers rather than just a heavy coat. However my dad has the 8 in 1 and swears by it so I'm sure I was no help to you at all haha

I hunt a strap vest (Wingworks), and it allows me to wear whatever coat I want. I found a keeper though. It's a Gore Tex Golf jacket by Sun Mountain. It is a light coat, but kind of warm. Waterproof, scratch resistant, arm movement not restricted, and thin for an unrestricted gun mount, nice collar, and some zippered pockets. I have hunted in 10 below temps in this coat and with moderate layering am totally comfy. Great coat.

That is the method I use as well. Love the WW vest, it allows great flexability in your setup. But what I like best is with my not so great back, it allows me to carry plenty of water for the dogs, without it killing my back.

I've had a Cabelas 8-n-1 coat for years and I do like it. This year however, I bought a Wingworks vest and absolutely love it. It allows me to wear whatever coat I need to underneath depending on weather. I still wore the 8-n-1 late in the season underneath the vest as the temps started to drop, but the coat as just a vest early in the season was too warm for me. My advicce would be to spend the extra money on a Wingworks vest and then you can wear any coat you want underneath. I've also noticed that the Cabelas 8-n-1 coat has gone up in price considerably since I bought mine several years ago.

UA blaze hoodie

A little late on this, but I guide lots of folks from all over the globe that ask the same question.

My GO TO piece of gear, for years, is my Under Armour blaze hoodie. It layers w anything (ESP a strap vest which is the best for layering) and is incredibly wind proof and sized so you can comfortably wear a sweater or a tshirt under it....or your 8 in 1 jacket over it etc.

Also, I always carry a PF Browning neck gator.

I have closets full of coats and fleece but the hoodie is the ONLY piece that always comes on the hunt...except the dog. Ha!

I have to say, the best hunting jacket I have had is my good old M-65 field jacket. I have the liner for when its really cold or windy. When it is not windy or below 30 I usually don't wear a jacket, just a plaid shirt and long underwear.

I have thought about getting a technical gore-tex jacket but haven't found one I really like yet or has the simplicity of the M-65.

Bigblue

Columbia upland wind jacket with fleece lining and Best item I have ever purchased Uncle Bucks Bird Bag Strap vest front load, deep pockets, place for e-collor, also has a small backpack for extra layer or to take on off and put away, :thumbsup: well thought out piece of equipment by someone who accually has bird hunted before unlike alot of stuff on the market.

Back