The Best Upland Hunting Jacket

I see a jacket was already selected so I am late to reply. I have back trouble and have found the Pella brand jacket to be the most comfortable. Also own a Filson and a Browning, but the Pella is the most comfortable when there is weight in the game bag.

I hunt naked & spray myself hunter orange. Well, maybe not. I use a layer system with apparel I already have (cotton, poly when cold, cotton over that, a lightweight orange shirt, then a Filson strap vest & Filson chaps. If it's really cold, I'll substitute a hooded sweatshirt or Cloudveil rain coat in the mix (Cloudveil has zipper vents in the armpit area that really help keep you from overheating/sweating). If I'm travelling a long way, I'll add a nylon vest under the Filson vest for extra storage (also helps if it's raining/snowing, but not enough to warrant wearing the raingear.).

Too late here but I've searched for the right hunting coat for a long time. I've had Brownings, Filson, Cabelas, etc and I finally found what for me is easily the best - LL Bean waxed cotton.

Where I quail hunt in IN every piece of vegetation has some sort of nast thorn on it. I've worn out too many coats and had too many tears and punctures to count. I finally got a Filson but that sucker is so stiff it will stand up by itself when you set it on the ground and it just wasn't breaking in as fast as i wanted. It's tough as nail but is too restricting for me.

I tried the Bean and bingo. Tough (although not as tough or thick as the Filson, but freedom of movement is great, slides though rough thorns and is water resistant. At $100 it's a deal to me, especailly after the Filson experiment.

Excellent question Chris!

I always hunt in stilts.

OK, the truth is that I do have to do a little deburring of my fleece jackets from time to time but I can't stand bulky coats. ;)

i just found this i hunt in stilts lmao love it!!!! nothing like a nice smart ass remark lol

Filson wool longjohns with a wool sweater that has some sort of windstopper material on the inside. Has to be pretty cold to not be enough when I'm moving.

At the PF show in Minneapolis a few years ago I bought a jacket from Scheels for $99. I like it a lot.ots of pockets and clips, zip out fleece liner, zip off sleeves. Nice jacket for all around use unless its crazy hot when I switch to a strap vest.

Actually, this year I started using a Bird 'N Lite PF vest most of the time & a Cabelas dry-plus jacket when it's raining/snowing.

i just found this i hunt in stilts lmao love it!!!! nothing like a nice smart ass remark lol

I was just holding John accountable. By the way we love the SA remarks. JMB has some of the best over the years.

Glad I found this thread because I just got done hunting a week in my Gander Tech something jacket and it is like hunting in a hefty bag. It has zero breathability. It is toast!

Sounds like I will have to look into the 8-1.

Early season I hunt in one of those columbia cool shirt and a fishnet vest. I assume when jackets are talked about it is for when the weather gets downright nasty.

Assumed I would need to look at something with gortex and thinsulate for breathability, windstop and insulation.

After looking at the reviews on the 8-1 vs the Dry plus ultimate the reviews are flawess on the more expensive jacket. Like the idea of being able to wear it deer hunting too.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...2-Upland-Coat/725246.uts?WTz_l=YMAL;IK-943275

A guy should probably look at a real good coat that is not blaze that you can wear all winter and just throw the lightwieght vest on when you go birding. Only draw back is the coat can stand to get torn up pretty bad when bird hunting or deer hunting.

I did buy a Cabelas Dry Plus (on sale & they STILL made money!). Wore it once in the rain . . . it works, as I was dry & warm. Worth the $$$.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

I picked up a Smartwool Microweight and Patagonia Capilene 2 base layer shirt that were on sale earlier this season. These are great for keeping you warm and dry under your shirt and jacket. These are the lightest weight they have and I found that the Smartwool is almost too hot and the Patagonia just right. I hunted a few weeks ago with the Patagonia and shed the jacket pretty quick; it was in the lower 20’s. With just a sturdy cotton hunting shirt and the base layer it was plenty warm.

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

Glad I found this thread because I just got done hunting a week in my Gander Tech something jacket and it is like hunting in a hefty bag. It has zero breathability. It is toast!

Sounds like I will have to look into the 8-1.

I've had the 8-in-1 for a few years. Overall I like it, but my biggest complaint IS breathability, especially in the arms. They have a totally "unbreathable" liner, so when I exert much (which is most of the time upland hunting!), they end up really wet, and then get cold. So if breathability is an issue with you, I'd say stay away. Other than that, it's definitely a good coat for the price.

I've had the 8-in-1 for a few years. Overall I like it, but my biggest complaint IS breathability, especially in the arms. They have a totally "unbreathable" liner, so when I exert much (which is most of the time upland hunting!), they end up really wet, and then get cold. So if breathability is an issue with you, I'd say stay away. Other than that, it's definitely a good coat for the price.

thanks cokid, that is very helpful. I'd be a sweatin to the oldies in that sucker.

Sure - oh, and just to clarify, the unbreathable liner is only in the arms, and they are removable. The coat itself also has a very nice removable fleece liner (which can be worn by itself, which I frequently do!). The "vest" part of the shell itself is quite breathable. Makes me wonder why they put that impervious nylon or whatever it is in the arms only. It's the only major flaw, but is definitely annoying.

I like my Cabelas upland coat I got years ago. One design defect: buttons only and they tore off so I had a heavy zipper put in. Not sure about the new ones but now they offer a Gortex lined one.

I was just holding John accountable. By the way we love the SA remarks.

Assumed I would need to look at something with gortex and thinsulate for breathability, windstop and insulation.
A rich guy like you, Chris? I'd go with the Buffalo Tundra Coat...

buff02.jpg

The extra large is only $3900.

My hunting jacket is the field jacket from L.L. Bean (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/18214?feat=593-GN1 ) that I use under my hunting vest when the temps are cold enough.
When the weather is warmer, I use Cabela's Upland WindShear™ 1/2-Zip (sorry but link is monstrously long). Both are roomy and breathable and very wind and rain resistant.
The combo of these two give me plenty of flexibility for weather changes.

Beretta Upland Cordura Jacket

Fabulous. Have worn it hard for 3 seasons and it looks brand new. No longer wear any of the half a dozen vests I own. Expensive, but worth every penny if you hunt 30+ days a season. PF sells it for $199, I think I bought mine for about $135 when the Sportsmans Warehouse in Sioux Falls went out of business. What's so great about it? 1) Looks great. In fact looks the same as the day I bought it. Blood comes off with a little H202 and does not stain. 2) Durable. Foxtail and burrs do not stick. 3) Stops all wind. Period. 4) No insulation. You don't need any bird hunting. 4) Pit zips - genius. 5) Magnetic shell pockets, quirky but you'll wonder how you hunted without them 10x better than worn out shell loops or those plastic speed loaders. 6) YKK zipper. The big plastic kind that always work good and never rust. 7) Zippered pockets. License for multiple states, I.D., cell phone 8) D rings for E collar 9) Front loading game bag, just the right size to carry 2 roosters and still be able to shoot the third. 10) Water bottle holders, right size and right place. 11) Storm collar. 12) Water proof. 13) Slick interior lining. Pair with UnderArmour and you'll have one less excuse for missing. 14) Comfortable at any temperature. No I don't work for Beretta. Yes you will thank me if you buy one.

Last edited:
When it get cold enough, i have a browning jacket, insulated that i wear. Shell loops, pockets,the whole nine yards.
The best thing is i found it on a clearance rack for $19.99 original price was $140.00.

Back