Royals.....Whipping boys no more

Soto leaving the game early has really hurt the A's tonight.

That was huge. Derek Norris is a less-than-average major league catcher and that's a big problem against a team that scampers around the bases like KC does.

Congrats to the Royals. I really hope they can take out the Angels.

Now I badly want the Pirates to send the Giants packing tomorrow night. Whoever wins that one, though, will have more than their hands full with the Nationals.

I'm a lifelong Dodger fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Nats win it all. I played Little League against Matt Williams and gave up a homer to him, but I also hit a real long one off of him. In full disclosure, he was only 10 years old when I was 12.

That was a some kind of game.
Right now the Royals all know and believe, they can win, even when way behind. That makes them a dangerous team.

They have a lot of weaknesses, but I would not be shocked if they went deep in the playoffs.

A lot of if's in that game, for both clubs but Soto leaving the game, Coco coming out and Fuld having to move to center were big but when Melvin lifted Abad for Hammel to face Perez my heart sank. Melvin gets too wrapped up in the match up game, Abad would've made him lookfoolish with his nasty slider.

It'll be interesting to see if KC can run wild against the Angels, as both Chris Iannetta and Hank Conger can throw a bit. As always, though, controlling the running game begins with the pitchers keeping them close -- or not letting them get on in the first place.

It'll be interesting to see if KC can run wild against the Angels, as both Chris Iannetta and Hank Conger can throw a bit. As always, though, controlling the running game begins with the pitchers keeping them close -- or not letting them get on in the first place.

Stolen bases come off of the pitcher, primarily and with Weaver's remarkably long body, medium leg kick and double clutch from the stretch, the speedy royals will own him. He's got a decent move, but these guys will be keen on him.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that Conger and Ianetta can throw a bit: Conger has like a .240 % CS for the year and .224 for career. Ianetta i has had a good year -- at like .300 %CS but he's only a .247% CS in his career. The Angels this season have a .270 CS this year and have allowed 106 stolen bases to put them in the cellar in that statistic.

The trouble will be getting runners on for the Royals and keeping the ball in the park when the Angels are at the plate.

A lot of if's in that game, for both clubs but Soto leaving the game, Coco coming out and Fuld having to move to center were big but when Melvin lifted Abad for Hammel to face Perez my heart sank. Melvin gets too wrapped up in the match up game, Abad would've made him lookfoolish with his nasty slider.

Hammel made Perez look foolish as well. That was a terrible pitch for Salvy to swing at -- and even worse he rolled his hands over to pull a pitch that was over a foot outside. 999 of 1000, that's a easy ground ball to 3rd base. How he put enough on that ball to get it down the line and past the third basemen is beyond me....must be destiny.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that Conger and Ianetta can throw a bit: Conger has like a .240 % CS for the year and .224 for career. Ianetta i has had a good year -- at like .300 %CS but he's only a .247% CS in his career. The Angels this season have a .270 CS this year and have allowed 106 stolen bases to put them in the cellar in that statistic.

Uh, hello? As you mentioned yourself, those numbers are primarily dependent upon the pitcher. Weaver barely attempts to hold anybody and C.J. Wilson's move is sub-par for a lefty, making him easy to run on as well. The percentage of successful steals would be high even with Pudge Rodriguez in his prime. If KC gets guys on base, they'll undoubtedly turn them loose, but it's not likely to be as easy as it was with Derek Norris, who not only doesn't throw well but also flat-out allowed the winning run to move into scoring position by failing to catch a pitch-out.

I'm talking about both Iannetta and Conger being physically able to throw a baseball from home plate to second base better than Norris. I never said they'd be confused with a Molina brother in that regard, but Norris' throwing is Piazza-like.

How he put enough on that ball to get it down the line and past the third basemen is beyond me....must be destiny.

It was because Josh Donaldson was playing farther off the line than he should've been -- plain and simple. And that can be attributed to Jed Lowrie's lack of into-the-hole range at shortstop. Purely a matter of circumstances.

If the A's had a guy like Andrelton Simmons at short, Donaldson barely has to go to the backhand to make that play.

Last edited:
Was a great night for baseball, been a long time in the making. The K was rocking last night, made for late night and earlier morning.
20140930_202605.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140930_185736.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140930_190130.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Been a long time coming! Congrats! If I may add one thing, the Catcher for the A's is not going to throw anyone out on a pitch out that is over the plate and he has to reach to his left to catch it and try and transfer across his body to the right hand and throw it. Spring training excersize. Great game and love the aggresiveness. I hope they go far. Now, who we rooting for tonight?:eek:

I'm not a fan of NL baseball at all but there is one NL team that I especially don't care for, so with that said GO PIRATES!

Jarbo, nice picks. How come Billy Butler was in your last picture?

I hope the Pirates win. I am a McCutchen fan. He is fun to watch and seems like a good kid. Anyone but the Cardinals.

I hope the Pirates win. I am a McCutchen fan. He is fun to watch and seems like a good kid.

Second-best all-around player in the game behind young Mr. Trout.

I agree, Cutch is fun to watch.

That was on helluva baseball game last night. Definitely worth staying up for.

This has been an interesting thread of late. I have always liked quail hound on the forum, but hearing him bad mouth my Giants has dropped him a peg in my book. I mean I would still hunt with him even though he's an A's fan, and has flushers... :)
I tell you ditchparrot19 would need to have some very good hunting land to share, in order to get me to hunt with Dodger fan. :D

Last edited:
I see JMD2 can read between the lines lol.:cheers: I'm sorry but the way Selig and the Giant's ownership have blocked the A's move rubs me wrong and I can't get on that wagon, unlike a lot of folks around central Ca, plus my dad and brother are Dodgers fans ( I don't get it either :confused:) so the Giants are generally frowned upon in this family.:thumbsup:

That was on helluva baseball game last night. Definitely worth staying up for.

This has been an interesting thread of late. I have always liked quail hound on the forum, but hearing him bad mouth my Giants has dropped him a peg in my book. I mean I would still hunt with him even though he's an A's fan, and has flushers... :)
I tell you ditchparrot19 would need to have some very good hunting land to share, in order to get me to hunt with Dodger fan. :D

Your boys are looking good to advance, but I'm confident the Nats will take care of them. With Bumgarner out of the way until early next week, the first two games will be severe mismatches from a starting pitcher perspective.

Back